Anyone used White Rose Modelworks baseboards?

Tim H

These guys advertise quite a bit in the modelling press - anyone got any experience of using their baseboards?

I'm completely lacking in carpentry skills whatsoever, so lack the ability to build my own. A previous layout used commercially-made baseboards from another manufacture, but found them very disappointing in quality (Sundeala tops were a bad idea). Don't want to make the same mistake twice.

My layout in on a pair of white rose base boards,

They are made too order so you know they haven't been laying around in a warehouse for ages.

I cant fault the build quality and they are really easy to assemble.

Thanks for the reply.

Are yours ply or MDF tops?

One seeming advantage of White Rose is they do a greater variety of sizes - many other people only seem willing to do multiples of 2', which isn't always the optimum size.

I have used them for my last 2 layouts and their boards are fantastic. I also have a spiral built especially to fit. I chose MDF tops for flatness and strength and they are still flat even after me climbing on them. Well recomended. They are worth the wait and lead times are sometimes long but that is because they have so many orders on due to happy customers. You can see mine on my layout topic "Layout in Yorkshire"

post-5758-007714800 1287250541_thumb.jpg

post-5758-002174000 1287250542_thumb.jpg

post-5758-021616800 1287250543_thumb.jpg

My 4 boards took 6 weeks, well worth the wait, I paid £270 delivered for a set up of just over 18' x 16" which included a 3' board which drops by 200mm for a viaduct section, this included the legs and fixings and adjustable feet, also the alignment dowels are done for you, the legs are ok, I have put cross braces on them, but I will build some better ones in time.

£270 is good value considering you can pay that for 2 sound locos now, so if you are not to good on the baseboard building front or time is against you its well worth the money, time was my problem, and going on the quality of my boards, I will definitely use them again, give them a ring with your requirements.

Regards

Craig.

Thanks for everyone who's responded. My layout plan is a 'flat earth' design which can be made up of a combination of their standard sizes - All I need to do is work out whether I can get a 1600x800mm board up the stairs to the attic room where the layout will live.

Have to say that mine are from White Rose model works and they are sensational. Brilliant too if you wanted to Exhibit your layout due to the modular design and the fact that everything works off allen keys....

Check the Bishop Auckland layout in the Layouts thread and there are some pics there....

Archived