Track base for O gauge

• RMweb Premium

Try cork tiles which Wickes sell. They deaden it a bit but the main problem is that when the track is glued and ballasted it becomes a rigid structure with the baseboard. You might ahve to put some extra loft insulation at floor level. I don't notice the running noise on mine when we ar atan exhibition but occaisionally when I have to go under the board to sort something during a show the sound of the trains running overhead is almost mike being under a bridge on the real railway.

Jamie

I had a very interesting conversation about this with someone at an S7 society meet the other week. He uses the grey foam underlay designed for use with laminate flooring, which allows a fair bit of movement in the track and keeps the noise levels down. In order to stop the glue securing the ballast from setting everything solid, he uses Copydex adhesive, diluted and applied in the same way that PVA would normally be used.

The added benefit of this is that, if something heavy is run over the track, it sinks slightly, just like the real thing! It's something I'm going to try when I start the 7mm layout.

The underlay should be readily available from the likes of B&Q or Homebase, and the Copydex shouldn't be too tricky to get hold of either. Apparently, the only downside to using Copydex is the smell... ;) :D

HTH

• RMweb Gold
Copydex shouldn't be too tricky to get hold of either

Staples Office Supplies sell it, Thats where I got mine. The smell is not to bad either. Also leave it 24 hours to go off properly.

Dave

Staples Office Supplies sell it, Thats where I got mine. The smell is not to bad either. Also leave it 24 hours to go off properly.

Dave

I'd vote for the smell is awful! I got my last lot from homebase - a big bottle that was cheaper than the smaller bottle at HobbyCraft (sorry can't get the extact I don't want to wake the puppy!) Can be thinned with water, but I found that I needed clean my brushes up real quick or I lost them.

On the underlay I've used camping mat in the past, but I'm looking for alternatives. I had some underlay from IKEA but I think that's too thin.

Thanks to everyone for a great response. I have been away since the original post and all this was waiting for me when I returned. Fantastic :)

Looks like I shall have to apply it with Copydex. That will be a memorable experience if it smells as bad as you say. If I can get hold of it, would Febond do the same job?

Chris

Archived