Earl of Devon Pub: Phase IIb Illumination

After a hiatus, I returned to completing the EoD interiors for ChrisF's layout and to moving on to the next stage which is illuminating the interiors.

First off are the completed and illuminated proof of Concept (PoC) interiors. The LEDs that I have were far too white for the period so I toned them down using Tamiya's transparent orange (used in model car building for turn signals being painted onto clear plastic). Even then, at the full 12V, the LED was far too bright - as can be seen here in "The Snug":

post-123-030089800 1287320524_thumb.jpg

But reducing the power to 6V gave a much nicer lighting effect:

post-123-068600700 1287320566_thumb.jpg

As can also be seen with the Public Bar Interior

post-123-075348600 1287320667_thumb.jpg

Although it must be pointed out that when I use my old Canon to photograph illuminated interiors, due to the way the camera processes the photograph the illumination seems to pool whereas in reality it is much more diffuse (nor is the LED so blinding). Also noticable in these shots are the LEDs themselves. But once installed, behind the etched windows, the Pub's walls will hide the LEDs. Additionally from a normal viewing angle, the LED will also be hidden as we see here:

post-123-051810900 1287320840_thumb.jpg post-123-082262700 1287320869_thumb.jpg

Construction was my usual "black box" approach with the wiring neatly fastened into place (flash photos!)

post-123-056586400 1287320947_thumb.jpg

The wiring will then be soldered into a wiring loom that will exit from the bottom of the pub base.

I've now finished off the interiors for ChrisF's version of the EoD as can be seen here:

post-123-039390000 1287321061_thumb.jpg

and, as suggested to me as an imprrovement in my previous thread showing EoD interiors, I've carved out the fireplace and added some bar stools (cut down Ratio signal post ladders and plasticard squares)

post-123-080132800 1287321105_thumb.jpg

And Mrs Gummidge finally got her stout!

post-123-044244900 1287321255_thumb.jpg

And the Public Bar still has the cameo of "we three":

post-123-001650800 1287321352_thumb.jpg

And NO, it's not a spilt pint, but rather some touch up work that was still drying when I took the photos.

Finally, (and disregarding my painting efforts) this photo shows, very cruelly, the difference in the quality of the original figure modelling.

post-123-055169300 1287321581_thumb.jpg

On the left is a 4mm/OO figure from a well known British company and on the right is the Preiser offering. The side by side comparison shows the 4mm offering looking more like a Guy Fawkes strawman than a human being as the proportions are all wrong (e.g. upper arms) and the face is very flat (from anything but from the front this figure's head looks like the poor S*d has been flattened between a loco and a buffer stop) Mind you, Mrs Gummidge is no super model - but at least all the proportions are correct.

As always.... &tc., &tc.

F

Mrs Gummidge must have standing behind one hell of a door when someone pushed it, judging by the size of her conk....
That's not fair, Dennis, she has a..... lived in... face. From the Preiser website it would seem that they model their figures on real people holding real poses (see: http://www.preiserfi...delle&SiteID=48). I only wish they would move into 4mm figures - they'd sweep the market!

But seriously, is anyone going to notice these disproportions in that scale ?
Not the dimensions certainly, but the general body and head shape definitely (I use 4.5X magnification when painting these figures, but even without magnification and at a distance of several inches the difference between the Preiser figure and the other figure IS noticeable even to my tired old eyes!)

F

• RMweb Premium

I suspect that nobody will notice the difference in size as they will be in a building, and obviously we all come in different sizes. My G Fawkes might have had an explosive growth spurt in his youth.

Archived