Peco 3 Way Point - the three loose wires?

unsoundmove

Hi,

I've just fitted a Peco Electrofrog 3 Way point on DCC layout. I've fitted the insulating rail joiners on the 4 inner rails as the point fans out, and metal joiners at toe of point and outer two rails. Peco point motors x 2 connected to the point and a Lenz LS150 decoder unit. So far so good, no short circuits. My question...

The point came with three wires fitted, each connected to a different 'frog'. Having tested the point, the 'dead' frogs only work correctly when a combination of these wires are connected to the feed from the negative rail. What do I now connect these three wires to ?? The Peco instructions mention PL13 switches, but surely the LS150 unit means these shouldn't be necessary ?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I've looked elsewhere on forum and on some of the oft-quoted other links, and still none the wiser.

Pat

The polarity of the frogs needs switching somehow, the LS150 just powers the point motor movement I believe. There should have been an instruction sheet with the point that shows you how to connect the frogs to the correct switches.. The one switch should take the output from the other on one leg.

Code 75 Electofrog points come with the possibility of a dropper wire under the frog but unlike you 3-way you don't have to use them on a normal 2-way though it is best practice.

• RMweb Premium

To get the best value from your electrofrog, you need to connect these wires to a couple of SPDT switches connected to the point motors. Then you have to hook these up to the rails for a power source and then through the switches to the frogs. This should be documented in the instruction sheet.

If you use the Peco point motors, you can add a switch to them. If you use some other brand, it should come with a switch.

There is an alternate unit called the Hex Frog Juicer, available from North America, that works somewhat like a reverse loop black box.

• RMweb Gold

A search using the term "asymmetric" is the trick here (you can't use "3 way" as the search strips out the "3")

The Asymmetric 3 way is one of the specials in the peco range that must have seperate frog switching (double slip is another I think)

Hi Pat

As others have previously stated, normally frog polarity is switched not by the accessory decoder but by the point, whether this is a solenoid or stall type motor.

Where a solenoid motor is used a change over switch can be fitted to the motor or in some cases to the points moving tie bar. Typically a Peco PL10 motor can have either a PL13 switch or a twin contact switch the PL15 directly fitted to it. Seep PM1 or PM4 motors have a built in change-over switch fitted. If you use surface mounting motors such as Peco PL11 then you will need some means of operating a change over switch by the points moving tie bar. Stall type slow motion motors normally have two sets of independent change over contacts fitted inside their casing.

Where switches are used, then the wires from the three frogs on the 3 way point need to be connected to the two sets of change over switches - one set per point switch blade/motor.

If it helps, the frog wiring for the three wire and the other two wire type 3 way point is shown on my web site here....Link to my web sites Electrical 2 page Scroll down a little to locate the item.

Hi,

I've just fitted a Peco Electrofrog 3 Way point on DCC layout. I've fitted the insulating rail joiners on the 4 inner rails as the point fans out, and metal joiners at toe of point and outer two rails. Peco point motors x 2 connected to the point and a Lenz LS150 decoder unit. So far so good, no short circuits. My question...

The point came with three wires fitted, each connected to a different 'frog'. Having tested the point, the 'dead' frogs only work correctly when a combination of these wires are connected to the feed from the negative rail. What do I now connect these three wires to ?? The Peco instructions mention PL13 switches, but surely the LS150 unit means these shouldn't be necessary ?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I've looked elsewhere on forum and on some of the oft-quoted other links, and still none the wiser.

Pat

Archived