Danemouth OO

Danemouth

Robert,

Still plodding along,

To be honest there is a minor flaw which I am still trying to resolve - the back scene. Unfortunately my inexperience meant that I didn't leave enough room for my preferred option, a low relief street :(

So I am torn between a lowish retaining wall with a bank behind it and just a low bank with trees - I expect to make a final selection over the next couple of weeks with the aid of my mates at Bay MRG.

However, I continue to play trains to ensure that the layout electrics and rolling stock operate correctly. Also purchased a fleet of cars and buses from Bromsgrove Models at their reduced prices. The station car park will look like I remember them in the sixties.

I'm c@ck handed so I'm deliberately not rushing things apart from which I will have more time from the end of November when I retire!

Yes, it's a nice plan. I particularly like the long platform - three coaches and a Grange or a b-set with a baby Collet don't swamp it - the three coaches are dictated by the size of the sector plate.

Regards,

Dave

I thought I would share the problems I encountered with the back scene mentioned in the previous post. As I said my inexperience and general c@ck handedness meant that I didn't allow enough room for a low relief street - these three pictures illustrate the problems as I would like a bus stop and taxi rank alongside the station, cars parked and of course space for traffic - no chance as thing stand!

post-7048-0-64368300-1337710715.jpg

post-7048-0-88714200-1337710731.jpg

post-7048-0-57163800-1337710752_thumb.jpg

So a change of plan - along the back scene will be a grass bank coming out about 4 cm and rising about the same. At the top of the bank there will be a fence and hedging with some scruffy trees. Naturally the grass will be unkempt. This will give a a nice size station carpark which I would prefer to a cramped street.

The station building is the Metcalfe kit; When Bachmann release the Highley building I may switch to that.

At the far end a retaining wall with either be a bridge or tunnel that will hide the exit to the sector plate. I did debate a retaining wall across the back as well but that seems an overkill for a small town in the country/by the sea.

post-7048-0-93900900-1337710766.jpg

I intend to paint clouds on the back scene but really don't fancy a printed back scene

We live and learn :)

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave

One solution is to move all the bildings towards the far end by about 9-10ins. and make the road a dead end approach to the station. This would allow an area at the end for taxi stand and fit a small retaining wall along the edge of the bay track.

Another option would be to turn the station building through 90 degrees as though it is at the end of the road, put a retaining wall along the edge of the platform where the buses could stop and a taxi rank in front of the station under the awning, with some form of steps either up to the station building or behind it onto the platforms.

Just a couple of ideas.

Keep up the good work

Peter

I think I'd be inclined to put house backs with a rear alleyway runing along parallel with the tracks and perhaps a few larger buildings representing BnB's and a hotel or two.

I am developing a dislike for railways that have streets of shops or house fronts facing the tracks, my experience of travelling on the railways being that buildings tended to face away from the railway rather than front it. I also tend to agree with you that embankment walls is also an overused scenic feature.

How about the egde of the a municipal park - this is supposed to be the seaside after all. Its a shame that you don't have space at the far end for a bit of the promenade.

I'd agree with you that the current station is perhaps a bit big for the size of the station (although I am one to talk given my previous models). I think I'd consider something considerably smaller and perhaps timber built for preference. A smaller building would also allow more room for the station forecourt and taxis/buses or parked cars.

Good modelling and looking forward to seeing how this developes further.

Hi Dave

Is that a Full length Station I see, Your Layout Plan look good, and the photos of your progress is great to...

Jamie

Jamie,

The longest passenger train I run is a Hall or Grange and three coaches, dictated by the sector plate. However the platform will take a Hall + 5 Hawksworths. I didn't want the platform to look full with just a loco+ 3 apart from which my plan dictates the sidings are shorter than the platform.

When I was a lad back in the fifties I remember the train pulled by a Hall arriving at Saunderfoot, a passing point on the single track from Whitland down to Pembroke Dock. The train would arrive, passengers at the front of the train would alight and then it would pull forward to allow the passengers in the back coaches of a 12/14 coach train to get off. That's my only experience of a train filling a platform.

Regards,

Dave

I think I'd be inclined to put house backs with a rear alleyway runing along parallel with the tracks and perhaps a few larger buildings representing BnB's and a hotel or two.

I am developing a dislike for railways that have streets of shops or house fronts facing the tracks, my experience of travelling on the railways being that buildings tended to face away from the railway rather than front it. I also tend to agree with you that embankment walls is also an overused scenic feature.

How about the egde of the a municipal park - this is supposed to be the seaside after all. Its a shame that you don't have space at the far end for a bit of the promenade.

Thanks for that idea, I will be looking at it together with Peter's (Trains 12) ideas over the next couple of days.

Does anybody know of either cardboard kits or RTP buildings of the back of houses please? Scratch building is beyond me!

Regards,

Dave

For house backs I think you've got all the usual suspects, Scalescenes, Supaquick (is that spelt correctly). Not sure from memory whether they do them as full relief or half relief, but a bit of cutting and splicing shouldn't be a problem.

Langleys do some vac formed ones with brass and whitemetal accessories - a bit expensive but they do a series of villa type houses which make a change from the standard run of victorian terrace backs and might add seaside feel.

Problem is finding something that represents the back of anything bigger - such as a hotel

PS don't knock your scratchbuilding skills - A lot of my buildings are more kitbashed then sratchbuilt. Its a matter of finding something that is almost what you want and fiddling with it until you get something just as you want it and unique to your layout. If you can build a card or plastic kit and you obviously can then you can kitbash one and from there its only a small step to scratchbuilding.

• RMweb Gold

Backs or fronts of houses? If the row of houses backs directly onto the railway then I would agree that you should model the backs of the houses. If however you have a street with traffic on it then the fronts of houses would be fine. You even have some houses converted into shops, which is like opposite Shenfield. There are houses facing Brentwood station, although one set is the other side of the road on top of the cutting and the other side is facing the small station car park. In the end it is what you like the look of best.

Also as Rovex says if you build kits it is only a small step to scratch building. If you do not like the look of it then you do not have to post a picture of it.

I like your layout. Love the thought of getting off the train and going straight into the "Pictures".

My latest loco arrived today, a Heljan Western. In the bay platform is another recent purchase, a Bachmann Baby Collet which I've coupled to a b-set and GUV

post-7048-0-53279700-1337886105.jpg

post-7048-0-34553900-1337886084.jpg

I decided not to wait for the Dapol Western; Bromsgrove Models are selling the Heljan one's for half the price of the expected price of Dapol and that's a consideration. My diesel fleet seems to be complete for Danemouth I've two Warships (Maroon & Green) Class 47, Hymek and now the Western.

Yes, I know the locos need detailing, crews etc. but that's a task for retirement at the end of the year - I want to get most of the scenic work done first.

Incidentally after fitting the DCC chip I made an SBE. Before changing the address I flicked the isolator switch for the sector plate to ensure I didn't program the other locos . Too bad I forgot about the 14xx and autocoach in the bay. Ended up with two loco with address 1040 and another loco to program!

And SBE? Schoolboy Error.

Cheers,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave

Great Layout love all the modifications of the track Plans, Peter will tell you I alter my Track Plan every week... Nice to see it Progress of the Layout...

Keep the photos coming...

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that idea, I will be looking at it together with Peter's (Trains 12) ideas over the next couple of days.

Does anybody know of either cardboard kits or RTP buildings of the back of houses please? Scratch building is beyond me!

Regards,

Dave

Hey,

Scalescenes recently brought out low relief rear terrace houses with yard walls thrown in too. Half way through doing a set myself and they look very good.

http://www.scalescenes.com/products/T008-Low-Relief-House-Backs

Scalescenes recently brought out low relief rear terrace houses with yard walls thrown in too. Half way through doing a set myself and they look very good.

Thanks for the info; can you tell me how far they come off the backscene please? Unfortunately I cant find the dimensions on the website :-)

Regards,

Dave

Thanks for the info; can you tell me how far they come off the backscene please? Unfortunately I cant find the dimensions on the website :-)

Regards,

Dave

Click on last small picture for dimensions

http://www.scalescen...ief-House-Backs - This suggests 75mm(approx 3 inches) depth with backyard and 52mm(approx 2 inches) without backyard.

Edited for omission

http://www.scalescen...ief-House-Backs - This suggests 75mm(approx 3 inches) depth with backyard and 52mm(approx 2 inches) without backyard.

Cary,

Thanks for the info; unfortunately that's slightly too deep so it's going to be a retaining wall as I really want a taxi rank, bus stop and car park in that area.

Regards,

Dave

Well I decided ti try building my own retaining walls. I started by making a ply frame, butchering a Metcalfe Single Tunnel Kit and with some M0052 Brick sheets came up with this

post-7048-0-73797800-1340127717.jpg

Decided to hide the curve with a Metcalfe Water Tank

post-7048-0-61851500-1340127730.jpg

At this point I decided to try building a Retaining wall the full length of the backscene - ply frame constructed and on went the Metcalfe sheets

post-7048-0-52603400-1340127744.jpg

Oh dear! The two packs of Metcalfe sheets don't match colourwise - colourful cursing at this point

post-7048-0-15912800-1340127895.jpg

At the other end I've replaced the Metcalfe mainline station with the country station. However that platform needs paving rather than tarmac, must have a look for suitable sheets.

post-7048-0-15202700-1340127917.jpg

Well it's now obvious to me and to you readers that a retaining wall just doesn't go with the station. As it's on a ply frame removing it is a 10 second job so I am now mulling over a country road with a grass bank in it's place as I don't think there is enough space for a street with shops etc but I will make some more measurements!

post-7048-0-04339900-1340127935.jpg

The station buldings are not typical GWR and I regard them more as placemarkers rather than permanent additions to the layout.

Ho Hum!

Dave

Dave, I see what you meant about the Metcalfe retaining walls.

I've just been 'robbed' in the same shop - over 'Evergreen' square tube and rod for my lo-tech point actuation system on 'Coldblow Lane'

Brian R.

Brian,

As we discussed at last Monday's club night the retaining wall will remain on the one end of the layout but the wall along the backscene has already been removed as it just didn't look right for a seaside or country station.

When I am on hols and at home in a couple of weeks time I am going to replace it with a lowish embankment covered in long grass, spear fencing at the top and a low retaining wall, about 1 cm high at the bottom.

Luckly my mistake wasn't too expensive!

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Cary,

Thanks for the info; unfortunately that's slightly too deep so it's going to be a retaining wall as I really want a taxi rank, bus stop and car park in that area.

Regards,

Dave

I know you've decided on a retaining walls/embankment, but I was wondering if you might reconsider the house backs. You say the Scalescene houses are too deep, but you've quite a bit of space at the back - you'de previously managed some low relief shops and a road. The road along the back of the houses could just be an ash track in model form only a few centimetres across. rather like this one

post-7075-0-51763500-1342272167.jpg

or this one

Lewis Street/Florence Terrace Tenfoot, Gainsborough

or this

Back to back terrace houses

Although neither of these back onto a railway, I think you can see just how narrow some of these back streets were. The village I grew up in had several streets of terraces where the back road was an ash track which with care you might get a car down. A iron railing or wooden fence could divide the track from the railway and of course could be nicely overgrown. All those backyards would be a nice modelling challenge.

It would also firmly place your railway in the town rather than on the outskirts.

Anyway just a thought

I know you've decided on a retaining walls/embankment, but I was wondering if you might reconsider the house backs. You say the Scalescene houses are too deep, but you've quite a bit of space at the back - you'de previously managed some low relief shops and a road. The road along the back of the houses could just be an ash track in model form only a few centimetres across. rather like this one

Although neither of these back onto a railway, I think you can see just how narrow some of these back streets were. The village I grew up in had several streets of terraces where the back road was an ash track which with care you might get a car down. A iron railing or wooden fence could divide the track from the railway and of course could be nicely overgrown. All those backyards would be a nice modelling challenge.

It would also firmly place your railway in the town rather than on the outskirts.

Rovex,

The retaining wall turned out to be an absolute disaster as #118 illustrates :rolleyes: The retaining wall didn't look right even without the problems of mismatched Metcalfe sheets!

I've been on holiday for a couple of weeks and hope to resume work on Danemouth this week. I will now be considering the alternatives:

• Low embankment with long grass,
  • The low relief street,
  • Low relief house backs, or
  • A tall wall with trees behind giving the hint of a park.

Many thanks for your valuable input, I will certainly do the research,

Regards,

Dave

• 1 month later...

Stop Press - Dr Beeching closes Danemouth Station

Over the past few weeks I have tried to sort the backscene out but it's all too close to the bay platform.

At the same time there is a large dead spot to be filled between the turntable and goods sidings.

Whilst I like the trackplan my inexperience meant that I didn't really plan the scenery, just concentrated on the track - and this is the result!

So I've decided to call it a day and scrap the layout. I will be able to reclaim much of the track and I will sand and re-use the boards for my new layout.

At the moment I am going through various books containing GW plans - I won't do as I did last time and rely too much on the CJF plan books good as they are. I will be sticking with the period and if I can a seaside town, but with no turntable - it takes too much room!

Once I have a plan I will start a new thread.

Thanks for all the help I've received from you all with Danemouth - it's been a most useful exercise.

Incidentally I discovered that Danemouth is not unlike Newcastle Emlyn http://www.s-r-s.org...l/gwm/S2088.htm

Dave

p.s. Anybody interested in a Helijan TT?

Archived