Danemouth OO

Danemouth

• 1 month later...

The answer is slowly :(

The garage has been on the cold side even with a heater but things are a little warmer the last couple of weeks thank goodness.

Should finish laying the cork by the end of next week - taking it slowly given my manual skills, or rather the lack of them in some areas! Track has been cut to size, except the fiddle yard.

With a bit of luck things will now start to progress a little faster.

Bought a Bachmann Hall this week and have acquired a GUV and some vans so with what I already have there is no shortage of stock!

Dave

• 1 month later...

So I am back with the track laid (except the turntable - more anon). I haven't wired it yet!

The sector plate and exit - a five road plare, the "harbour" line can only use three of them

post-7048-0-80553400-1300909014_thumb.jpg

post-7048-0-26342800-1300909017_thumb.jpg

The station - ignore the Metcalfe half completed building - I've decided against it as it just doesn't fit appearance wise

post-7048-0-10289700-1300909013_thumb.jpg

post-7048-0-15465200-1300909012_thumb.jpg

post-7048-0-45715200-1300909019_thumb.jpg

post-7048-0-57350000-1300909018_thumb.jpg

The turntable was going to be the Peco TT with the Frizinghall motorising kit - installed it but couldn't stand the noise it made, liked operating it be hand even less.

So I've decided to save my pennies for the Heljan TT as used by Paul on Ranelagh Bridge Road where it operates smoothly.

So back to wiring at last,

Dave

Hello Dave

Glad to see the progress. It is looking great . Wiring can be a pain in the b...... , I am doing some more on Glen Gillie at the moment. Waiting to see a start on the senics now. Keep up with it.:rolleyes:

Cheers

Peter

• 4 weeks later...

For the past couple of weeks I've been trying my hand at the point motors - my intention was to use Digitrax DS64 decoders with Seep PM4s. Well I've spent a great deal of time trying things out on a table, so much more convenient than trying under the baseboard. Things ain't going right with lots of colourful cursing - see

http://www.rmweb.co....rs-seep-motors/

I did build a Peco turntable with the Frizinghall kit, but as I said in a previous post the combination sounded like a vacuum cleaner starting up. So I've bought the Heljan turntable and will install it over the coming weeks. I've a few days off after Easter and hope to make real progress on the wiring :D

Regards,

Dave

• 1 month later...

After a short break when I became a little disheartened I've restarted work on Danemouth. So:

• Bought a Heljan TT - turned out to be faulty, promptly replaced by Kernow - excellent service :D
  • The Digitrax DS64s are back with John at Bromsgrove Models - turns out two of them won't work so he's sent them to Digitrax - good service again,
  • Decided to go with Cobalt motors instead of Seeps - they should arrive tomorrow.
  • Wired the fiddle yard last night.

New garden shed being delivered tomorrow so some of the stuff will be moved from the garage making it seem considerably less cramped.

So things are starting to move,

Dave

• 1 month later...

The wiring of Danemouth is now almost complete! Firstly let me say that anybody who says DCC only needs a couple of wires is talking through his <naughty word>. I fitted Cobalt motors to the points in the end. I've stuck with DCC operation but had little luck with the Digitrax DS64 in combination with my NCE Powercab - two of them had to go back to the States to be sorted out.

I ended up buying a single Cobalt decoder which worked straight out of the blister pack which is a pleasant change from the previous disheartening experience! I've ordered more decoders this week so I will be able to complete the electrics, oh and fit the Heljan Turntable.

Once that is done I will post some photos.

In the meantime I've been giving some though to practical operations - with loco addresses, turnout addresses and routes I've come up with an A3 chart a copy of which is attached. It's a PDF here but actually it's a Word document printed on my A3 ink jet. Some things to note:

• The points are numbered and on each leg of the point there is N or R to denote normal or reversed (NCE terminology).
  • The routes are an initial guess on my part - the Powercab will hold 16 and I have defined 15
  • Some routes appear duplicated e.g. 0 and 1 - my intention is eventually to have DCC operated semaphore signals - that's to allow for that
  • The loco addresses use their running numbers except the one loco that only supports short addresses - will change that in due course :-)

Next job will be building the platform followed by track weathering and ballasting,

Cheers,

Dave

Danemouth Operational Diagram.pdf

The wiring of Danemouth is now almost complete! Firstly let me say that anybody who says DCC only needs a couple of wires is talking through his <naughty word>. I fitted Cobalt motors to the points in the end. I've stuck with DCC operation but had little luck with the Digitrax DS64 in combination with my NCE Powercab - two of them had to go back to the States to be sorted out.

I ended up buying a single Cobalt decoder which worked straight out of the blister pack which is a pleasant change from the previous disheartening experience! I've ordered more decoders this week so I will be able to complete the electrics, oh and fit the Heljan Turntable.

Once that is done I will post some photos.

In the meantime I've been giving some though to practical operations - with loco addresses, turnout addresses and routes I've come up with an A3 chart a copy of which is attached. It's a PDF here but actually it's a Word document printed on my A3 ink jet. Some things to note:

• The points are numbered and on each leg of the point there is N or R to denote normal or reversed (NCE terminology).
  • The routes are an initial guess on my part - the Powercab will hold 16 and I have defined 15
  • Some routes appear duplicated e.g. 0 and 1 - my intention is eventually to have DCC operated semaphore signals - that's to allow for that
  • The loco addresses use their running numbers except the one loco that only supports short addresses - will change that in due course :-)

Next job will be building the platform followed by track weathering and ballasting,

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Looks very realistic the plan, as if it is waiting to go up in the signal box with all the numbered point levers in front of it .........NO, sorry it's DCC, keep on forgeting that!!! John

Making real progress with the 'lectrics ::rolleyes:

The Helijan TT has been installed and I've got in working in DCC despite the somewhat indifferent instructions supplied with it,

All the points are DCC controlled now and I've programmed all the macros and tested them - the revised operating diagram is attached for those of you interested.

This week I aim to complete the wiring, mainly tidying up - will post some photos then!

Cheers,

Dave

I promised some photos, here they are. The layout is in my garage with little space alongside so some of the piccies are taken with a 12mm lens resulting in some perspective distortion.

Firstly the control panel - the top three switches isolate the track on the three main boards, the bottom left switch isolates the programming track (Siding 3) the middle switch the accessory bus and the right switch was going to be the turntable isolator but wasn't needed in the end. I need to borrow the label machine from the office :rolleyes:

post-7048-0-37610800-1312999531_thumb.jpg

The fiddle yard complete with isolator switch

post-7048-0-05429400-1312999534_thumb.jpg

Overall view

post-7048-0-98420000-1312999535_thumb.jpg

The Metcalfe station building is wrong so it's just acting as a placeholder for the time being

post-7048-0-95303600-1312999534_thumb.jpg

Heljan TT

post-7048-0-30987000-1312999532_thumb.jpg

post-7048-0-28077300-1312999533_thumb.jpg

Finally the steel rule shows the position of the scenic break

post-7048-0-97409600-1312999536_thumb.jpg

The wiring took a great deal longer than expected chiefly due to the problems with point automation. The Cobalt motors and decoders work well as does the TT in DCC.

Macros for route setting have been programmed and make playing trains operating so much easier.

As you can see I use a Powercab - I did have concerns about power consumption as it's the 1.1 amp version. I set the Powercab to show power consumption, with nothing moving it reads .18 amps. Even with the turntable turning, a loco running and setting several points I couldn't get it above .65 amp! Given the size of the layout that means I can easily run two locos which is all I can manage on my own.

Regards,

Dave

• 2 months later...

I haven't done anything on Danemouth following keyhole surgery on my shoulder 5 weeks ago; it's liable to be another 4 - 5 weeks before I have sufficient strength & mobility in my right arm to be able to do a great deal on the layout :(

However when I do restart there will be one change - the Harbour line is going though the bay remains - I've studied Great Western Station Plans by R.J. Smith and decided it's just not prototypical.

I've also decided to operate it as two separate periods 1955-58 and 1963-65 given the amount of stock I've amassed!

I did ballast the goods sidings before the operation, my first attempt at ballasting and it's not turned out terribly well - I need to decide what to do about it.

Will be operating Minster at the Cardiff Show tomorrow and Sunday :D

Dave

• RMweb Gold

I haven't done anything on Danemouth following keyhole surgery on my shoulder 5 weeks ago; it's liable to be another 4 - 5 weeks before I have sufficient strength & mobility in my right arm to be able to do a great deal on the layout :(

Will be operating Minster at the Cardiff Show tomorrow and Sunday :D

Golly - you don't let much stand in your way, do you! I hope the weekend is not too arduous, and the shoulder comes back in use soon. Good luck!

Golly - you don't let much stand in your way, do you! I hope the weekend is not too arduous, and the shoulder comes back in use soon. Good luck!

Ian,

Luckily the arm is now out of a sling most of the time - I will be having physio for a while to regain strength and movement - the worst bit was when the consultant gave me a DVD of my operation recorded by the keyhole cameras!

Minster as a lovely layout to operate, just a hand-held controller, two rotary section switches and two point switches with a small sector plate. As it happens my forte is operating rather than building and John is happy for me to do the lion's share - win win for us both.

Dave

• 3 months later...

I've restarted work on Danemouth at last - the shoulder operation last September slowed me down a little more than I expected.

For the period when I couldn't work on it I found myself reading GWR prototype plan books - I was hoping to add another platform and came close to scrapping what I've done so far but decided against that in the end

So three things have happened since:

• The line down to the harbour has been Beeching'ed - didn't seem at all prototypical,
  • I had ballasted the three siding with dark brown ballast - not only was my ballasting cr@p, I didn't like the colour, so they have been completely relaid,
  • Whilst relaying the sidings also changed some of the points to use a Hex Frog Juicer rather than the Cobalt switching.

Some photos taken this evening, the first photo shows the station, the diagram leaning against the backscene is the operating diagram. One of the things I like about this plan is the long platform - the Grange and 3 coaches in the main road and B set and Prairie in the bay don't dwarf it. The white paper is the template for the platform.

post-7048-0-38272500-1328209511.jpg

Now looking the other way, the main station building is temporary but given my indifferent skills whatever goes there will either by RTP or built from a card kit - no scratch building for me.

post-7048-0-29573200-1328209532.jpg

Finally looking the other way towards the turntable

post-7048-0-28679400-1328209544.jpg

Next job is to thoroughly test the wiring and track again. Then build platform and station building followed by another go at ballasting!

Regards,

Dave

It's really nice to see your layout progressing Dave, I'm sure it must be really nice to operate.

Best wishes,

Nick

Thanks Nick, as I said earlier in this thread my forte is operating not building, I tend to see the latter as something I need to do to be able to operate!

Incidentally one other change - I now have sufficient stock to operate as two separate periods:

• 1955-57 Blood & Custard coaches with a mix of early and late crest kettles and
  • 1962-64 Maroon coaches, late crest steam and Warships, Westerns and Hymeks.

The Hornby announcement of a new livery 14xx and B & C autocoach was good news, I will be able to have the correct livery autotrain in either period!

Regards,

Dave

• 3 months later...

Archived