Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Wencombe/Kingsbridge Regis/Louville Lane

westerner

I think I'm correct in saying that there was a service from Cardiff to the Kingswear branch and as Wencombe is an extension of that then I think it's justified. If I'm wrong call it rule No.1

Hi

In 1957 there was a SO 0805 from Cardiff which arrived Kingswear at 1305 and a 0905 from Swansea which arrived at 1543. The corresponding departures were 0905 to Swansea and 1520 to Cardiff. This info is in the Xpress book Operation Torbay.

There was a weekday service from Swansea and back to Cardiff, but, these only operated to Paignton on weekdays.

I would love to model Paignton, but, since I've moved to 7mm I doubt this will ever happen!

Ian

Edited by ianwales

Hi

In 1957 there was a SO 0805 from Cardiff which arrived Kingswear at 1305 and a 0905 from Swansea which arrived at 1543. The corresponding departures were 0905 to Swansea and 1520 to Cardiff. This info is in the Xpress book Operation Torbay.

There was a weekday service from Swansea and back to Cardiff, but, these only operated to Paignton on weekdays.

I would love to model Paignton, but, since I've moved to 7mm I doubt this will ever happen!

Ian

I'm sure those services were still running in the early/mid 60s and I'm equally sure that I have read of trains formed of up to 3 x 3 Car units being used to punish passengers on Summer services between South Wales and Torbay for a brief period in the early sixties. It seems plausible to me to split a 6 or 9 car train at (say) Paignton with a 3 Car unit going forward to Wencombe/Kingsbridge Regis.

I suppose the Class 120 could also just be substituting on/or taking over the Exeter/Newton local services in a different scenario.

Edited by cary hill

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your kind comments and tips.

As i said in my previuos post I used young josh's method which involves making up a jig on some MDF and then marking out the the posts and at either end creating a small notch for the EZ line to slot into (I cheated and only put on 4 wires rather than 7. the bottom ones would be covered in vegetation.) Once you have placed the EZ line slip the ratio posts into place and then fix with a dab of super glue. Unfortunately I stretched the EZ line too tight on my first effort which meant as i put the posts on the layout some EZ line snapped and that wwhich was there was stretched so thin that you could not see it.

Alan, I will shortly be doing some lineside fencing and minded to give EZ Line a go. Can you recall what size you used, 0.075mm or 0.15mm? Thanks, Jon

In 1:76 scale the heavier line looks fairly chunky. I would go for the finer weight. You only need to stretch the line enough to take out the slack between posts. That way you still have maximum stretch left for when you will inevitably snag the fence while working on the layout. Not sure if applying the line in situ or with a jig is the easiest method as my scale is 1:24 so I glued the fencing directly on the layout. Also remember the line is actually flat not perfectly round so the heavier material can seem distorted under some lighting conditions.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Its a model I always wanted even in O Gauge.

An RTR version is being made by LH Loveless or Golden Age Models but you are probably talking about £4000 to £8000. The JLTRT never appeared at least not on general release but the Westdale version might still be available. But thats a lot of work!

Paul R

Its a model I always wanted even in O Gauge.

An RTR version is being made by LH Loveless or Golden Age Models but you are probably talking about £4000 to £8000. The JLTRT never appeared at least not on general release but the Westdale version might still be available. But thats a lot of work!

Paul R

Jltrt one is still on the cards so fingers crossed
  • Like 1

I've just realised how long it has taken me to build the 120. Looking back in this thread I appear to have started in November 2009 so nearly 5 years in the build and the kit was actually bought at the Southwold show in Aug 2007. Along time in the gestation. I suppose though many of you could beat that.

Those last 3 photos are just like the modern railway with a station full of units, at least these ones on your layout are all the same colour unlike these days with liveries with all the colours of the rainbow lol!

Edited by sammyboy
  • Like 1