Wencombe/Kingsbridge Regis/Louville Lane

westerner

Thanks Andy. Neil it looks like all those hours of studying the photos in the Great Western Railway Journal edition on Kingswear has paid off. I think over the last 5 years I must have spent 100s of hours reading the article and staring at the photos in it. Unfortunately now I have built the wall around the goods yard and back of the platform I will no longer be able to take such a shot again as I did of 1040.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

A few shots around the layout.

the Goods shed over the new wall

attachicon.gifgoods shed f1.jpg

Looking out of one of the houses as the bus passes the Land Rover

attachicon.gifsteps and bus f3.jpg

And finally a couple in B&W of the the goods leaving

attachicon.gifGOODS Leaving 3 B&W f6.jpg

attachicon.gifgoods leaving B&W f5.jpg

You have a damn fine eye with that camera mate. I'm also really envious of your working layout; mine is so far away from doing that.

Phil

Dr G-F yes they can be a bit of an eyesore, but there are other options, me I'm content to live with them as I am with 16.5 mm track and ridiculous curves. Life is too short.

Phil, You'd be surprised that yours isn't so necessarily far away. Following your thread I see much progress has been made and it is surprising once track gets laid and some of it wired so that things can move, how that keeps the motivation going.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A few shots around the layout.

the Goods shed over the new wall

attachicon.gifgoods shed f1.jpg

Looking out of one of the houses as the bus passes the Land Rover

attachicon.gifsteps and bus f3.jpg

And finally a couple in B&W of the the goods leaving

attachicon.gifGOODS Leaving 3 B&W f6.jpg

attachicon.gifgoods leaving B&W f5.jpg

SPAD in photo 3 Alan?????

Smashing photos.  

If only I could get over my phobia of OO gauge couplings I have a GWR branch laid out on the shed floor.... can't .... quite... commit.... argh....

Why is it our eyes are drawn to perceived imperfections? Couplings in particular are a classic example; they have to be strong enough to accommodate sometimes heavy trains yet be as imperceptible as possible. They have to function for the train set crowd as well as the enthusiast so compromise is necessary. Over the years they have been reduced in size to possibly the minimum usable size. There are others, notably Kadees that fit some criteria and if the UK ever gets rid of the three link, they will come into their own. They are like any small functioning unit, a bit fiddly and certainly not as reliable as the current OO standard.

post-21098-0-28412900-1454713781_thumb.jpg

I don't have this problem :boast: Nobody cares in tinplate!

Brian.

Edited by brianusa
  • Like 7

Why is it that the like button is sometimes just not good enough.

Thank goodness we have words.

Those last sets of pictures were great, especially the pannier working on the local freight. You can just hear the couplings and buffers clanging away whilst the train is shunted. And the clickety-clack of the wheels as the loco hauls the stock away from Kingsbridge Regis. Or the holiday makers arriving for their onward journey to Salcombe as their loco trundles away for turning on the table. A truelly evocative bit of model making and photography.

• Like 1

Alan, just found this topic, talk about trip down memory lane, I think, in my case,  caused by the scenery, you have caught the essence of the South Hams evocatively.

I used to be a lorry driver in Kingsbridge in the1960s,  The mate/cutter on  with me one Sid, was working at Kingsbridge Station after it closed, cutting up the Station railings. He recounted tails of being a conductor on the GWR buses that connected Kingsbridge to Salcombe. In summer there could be 3 buses in convoy & his job was to check tickets on route. changing bus in turn, sometimes hanging on the outside.

From your map the railway would have come down Bowcombe creek, & may have necessitated a steep climb up over into town, so, yes suitable engine power  needed

Good one!! 

• Like 1

Thanks chaps.

Phil the boiler and tender are Kleared.

Nick and Brian, the boiler is brush painted (as is the cab roof) with a mixture of dirty9weathered) black and track or brake dirt at a mixture of 3 to 1 black to brown. This is also brushed onto to the boiler roof and then rubbed off to get the sooty look. the whole lot (not the smokebox) gets a thin coat of Klear, for the cared for look. The chassis bits are airbrushed with an opposite mix so its roughly 3 to 1 brownish to blackish. The motion is brush painted after the chassis has been done with Lifecolor's Tensocrom Active surface agents set2, the oil and keroscene which gives it that shiny well greased look.

post-7090-0-05778300-1455045444_thumb.jpg

Edited by westerner
  • Like 7