Tamiya X19 Smoke acrylic...Drying gloss?

Has anyone used Tamiya X19 Smoke acrylic paint with an airbrush? Got out a brand new pot of paint, gave it a good shake and then sprayed some walling. It started off fine, but the further I went, I found the paint dried with a gloss finish.

I've done some searches via Google and found out that this paint is a gloss varnish with a brown/black colour pigment added, but no word about it drying with a gloss finish. Although I shook the pot at the beginning of application, I didn't do it again in the same 10 minute session and the gloss problem seemed to appear towards the end of the session.

Anyone else seen the same problem? Do you have to shake/stir the paint before every fill of the airbrush well? Do the colour and base separate that quickly?

All Tamiya paints with an X prefix are and will dry gloss. XF is the prefix for matt. Tamiya smoke is intended for tinting glazing and nothing else, though being modellers we do find other uses.

All Tamiya paints with an X prefix are and will dry gloss. XF is the prefix for matt. Tamiya smoke is intended for tinting glazing and nothing else, though being modellers we do find other uses.

That would explain it. I'll go over it with a matt varnish. Thanks Julian.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived