curly card what glue

hi all

ive been trying to scratchbuild a building in 00 using 2mm card given to me by a friend who works for a photgraphic company(the stuff around the edge of a photo in a frame)ive been using pva spread over the carboard and then mounting plasticard (corrigated finish) but it keeps curling and bending ive even left a stack of books on them for 48 hours they come out straight and then slowly start to curl over the next few days is there any other glues that work without attacking the plastic ive looked on the scalescenes site and might just give up and use theirs but would prefer to use the plastic for its 3d properties although have not seen scalescenes in the flesh so any coments or pics might help

cheers everyone

hi all

ive been trying to scratchbuild a building in 00 using 2mm card given to me by a friend who works for a photgraphic company(the stuff around the edge of a photo in a frame)ive been using pva spread over the carboard and then mounting plasticard (corrigated finish) but it keeps curling and bending ive even left a stack of books on them for 48 hours they come out straight and then slowly start to curl over the next few days is there any other glues that work without attacking the plastic ive looked on the scalescenes site and might just give up and use theirs but would prefer to use the plastic for its 3d properties although have not seen scalescenes in the flesh so any coments or pics might help

cheers everyone

I re-read this post a couple of times before I got the gist. Why are you using corrugated plasticard?

The reason that the laminate curls is because the card absorbs water and then shrinks as it dries and the plasticard doesn't. Because the card is 2mm thick this shrinkage takes place on one surface only. It would probably bend anyway but the plasticard is not strong enough to resist the curling.

I doubt that the card used in photo framing is going to survive a wetting. |Remember that PVA is acrylic and therefore water based. Cheap PVA seems to contain more water than the dear stuff. The 2mm board I use is polyboard.

Try Pritt sticks first and if that cures the problem then so be it. If it doesn't then change the board. Even Scalescenes printed sheets require top quality paper to prevent fuzziness and ink jet papers are notorious for wetting and curling. Colour lasers are the best as they use heat to set the ink. Bit expensive to use for a model though.

Hi, Scooter,

Possibly people underestimate the amount of bracing needed to keep card rigid. Another problem with your sandwich will be atmospheric moisture/humidity as the plastic covered side will stay 'dry compared with the plain side which will absorb moisture and swell, or vice versa. You could mitigate that effect to a certain extent by sparying the inside with varnish, but ......

Here is an example of a scratch built model of mine, showing the amount of bracing I have foud to be necessary. There's more at the top, as the bottom of the walls are stuck to a base. Don't get too dispirited, just get bracing with wide 'floors' where possible.

post-106-029823400 1287857312_thumb.jpg

Good luck,

Doug

• RMweb Gold

hi all

thanks for the replys ive now bought a large pritt stick and shall have ago with that ill use my bendy building for practising weathering on

I normally use a Pritt stick to glue building papers (such as Scalescene downloads) to card (1.5mm Dalerboard in my case), and I then weight it down under several books and something even heavier, such as my metal toolbox or a Gaugemaster controller, for a couple of days. The resulting building is then pretty heavily braced when glued together using PVA, looking a bit like Doug's building shown above.

The card glue from Deluxe Materials is very good. http://www.deluxematerials.com/

Personally, I now only use their "Super'Phatic" ( http://www.deluxematerials.com/products_emulsion.html ) glue when gluing Plasticard to card or foamboard (care needed as very sticky on fingers).

Mail order service is excellent.

(I have no involvement with the above company other than a very satisfied and regular customer)

Although there are many other factors involved, in general, laminating sheets for thickness/strength will only be successful if the laminations are in odd numbers (ie 2 or 4 will warp, 3 will be ok)

regards

Stewart

Archived