Steam locos where they shouldn't be.

• RMweb Premium

Shouldn't that be Corkerhill? Whatever, Holbeck did once pinch a Polmadie 'Scot' for a Bristol turn.

Yes, it should be 67A, not 66A. I realised my mistake last night, but didn't get much chance to go in to correct it until today, and I have now edited the post. Blame the advancing years for the oversight :angry:

I have also added a rider about the 8Fs following a PM, as it seems that the source that I used may have been inaccurate.

And then there was the instance of a Bristol Jubilee, 45662, being used on a Glasgow - Kilmarnock football special - but really pinches are not that unusual. Stranraer pinched the Stephenson valved Black 5 44767 for a while, and Ayr pinched one of Particroft's Caprotti Standard 5s, 73134 and had ot for several months before it was missed.

• RMweb Premium

Southampton City Archives has a collection of photos of the Docks, including one of V2 60893 of 35A (New England, pre July 1958) with the first type BR emblem, with the headcode for boat trains to/from Waterloo. It was probably taken in 1953 when it was on loan to SR to cover for Bulleid pacific problems. They also have a shot of 60008 Dwight D Eisenhower of Top Shed with the later emblem in absolutely spotless condition, probably for a VIP special (the President perhaps).

Memory recalls that in 1956 72001 "Clan Cameron" made it to Fort William on an excursion. All the train crew were Camerons also -- the occasion was a Clan Cameron Gathering. Memory also recalls that after it got there someone realised that the class was not allowed on the West Highland, and it was some time before they got it back...

I would imagine it was the only time a pacific ever appeared on the West Highland. I've never seen photographs of the event -- I assume there must be some out there?

Allan F

Golden Decade of Scottish Steam 1955-1965

W.H.Smith £7.99 (worth every penny) "exclusive" earlier this year, so may still be on the shelves.

ISBN 978-1-609167-54-7

Page 70

Colour photo, June 1956 of loco about to leave Fort William with a train for Glasgow (back home) and still clean.

regards

Stewart

Southampton City Archives has a collection of photos of the Docks, including one of V2 60893 of 35A (New England, pre July 1958) with the first type BR emblem, with the headcode for boat trains to/from Waterloo. It was probably taken in 1953 when it was on loan to SR to cover for Bulleid pacific problems. They also have a shot of 60008 Dwight D Eisenhower of Top Shed with the later emblem in absolutely spotless condition, probably for a VIP special (the President perhaps).

I've just found a picture of Brit 70002, shedded at Carlisle Kingmoor, on a Waterloo-Southampton Docks boat train in May 1966. (Steam Days for October 1997).

• RMweb Gold

But talking of Stratford Upon Avon, exLNER L1's were seen there ( well Town station, S&MJR) on crew training runs from Woodford Halse.

A late friend of mine photographed an L1 outside Evesham Road Crossing Box. He told me that it had been there in connection with Road Learning for the new connection from the SMJ towards Honeybourne.

Regarding Stanier Pacifics at New Street, they never used to appear until Worcester Street bridge was rebuilt c1961 for the Ring Road scheme and the electrification, so I would think that there was a problem with the clearance there.

Charles

Guest Belgian

Possibly when it arrived at the Docks before being loaded on a ship to go to the USA for preservation?

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if this is what the OP is after but I did see 46121, HIGHLAND LIGHT INFANTRY etc. off Polmadie, at New Street on a Leeds-Bristol job at Easter 1962, it returned north the following day.

Copped it at the site of the present University station going north - my last Scot.

So excited I crashed my bike on the way home!!

As for Eastern locos at Birmingham, B1's had regular working from Cleethorpes. There was an occasional V2 when Derby hadn't got a spare loco to go forward, also A1 60114 appeared one day.

A3 60088 Book Law spent a few days on shed at Aston after sneaking through to Sutton Coldfield on the Car-Sleeper while they worked out how to get it back north, and a J39 also turned up there.

Charles

• RMweb Premium

Copped it at the site of the present University station going north - my last Scot.

So excited I crashed my bike on the way home!!

As for Eastern locos at Birmingham, B1's had regular working from Cleethorpes. There was an occasional V2 when Derby hadn't got a spare loco to go forward, also A1 60114 appeared one day.

A3 60088 Book Law spent a few days on shed at Aston after sneaking through to Sutton Coldfield on the Car-Sleeper while they worked out how to get it back north, and a J39 also turned up there.

Charles

That's the sort of thing.

B1's were regulars in New Street but the larger NE classes were definite "rarities"

Keith

• RMweb Gold

That's the sort of thing.

B1's were regulars in New Street but the larger NE classes were definite "rarities"

Keith

Reports sent in to Trains Illustrated and Modern Railways in the period from about 1959-66 make interesting reading on this subject. Reports of such events as Clans reaching Bristol and St Pancras, A4's on mineral empties and Class 31's reaching the South Coast were the standard fare at the time.

Charles

Regarding GW engines at New Street, Les Jacks in "Through the Links at Tyseley" relates how a new Cowley-Longbridge Class "C" was introduced in 1958 and was diagrammed a 43xx through. At Bordesley the ATC gear had to be clipped up and the train was booked via New Street. He relates how the first time he worked it as a fireman it was made more interesting by thick fog! The train was apparently later booked a Standard 4MT, then it was changed to start from Swindon with a Standard 5MT.

Another GW working onto the LNW circa 1964 occured when Leamington shed used their 22xx for a short while in lieu of an Ivatt 2-6-2T on the Leamington-Nuneaton parcels diagram. The Cheona "Railwats in Profile No.6 - BR Non-Passenger Rolling Stock" has a picture of 3217 with a single LMS BG at Kenilworth. Interestingly when a Morris Cowley-Gosford Green car body train was inaugurated in the early 50s I believe it was specially diagrammed for a WD 2-8-0 to avoid a GW engine workimg through.

Regards

Mike

-, and Ayr pinched one of Particroft's Caprotti Standard 5s, 73134 and had ot for several months before it was missed.

Ah, so 73134 must have been shopped somewhere on the ScR, as it was adorned with large numerals for the last months of it's life.

• RMweb Gold

There have been occasional postings on www.mremag.com regarding unusual movements. One on today's edition is as follows:

"On 14 May 1960, K3 2-6-0 No.61853 piloted Jubilee 4-6-0 No.45662 Kempenfelt on the 12.48pm York-Bristol from Sheffield (Source: Trains Illustrated)"

Although B1s were quite common visitors to the Derby - Bristol line, there were also reports in 1960 of 3 reaching Bath Green Park. On June 12, O1 2-8-0 63610 was noted at Bromsgrove.

The "Motive Power Miscellany" column is an absolute goldmine for finding prototype excuses to run almost any class over most of the system. You can have your evidence readily to hand when someone criticises it at an exhibition.

Charles

Ah, so 73134 must have been shopped somewhere on the ScR, as it was adorned with large numerals for the last months of it's life.

Much the same as 73129 being shopped by St Rollox in October 1961 after a new boiler was fitted. It stayed a Patricroft loco right though all that time, but had large numerals and white border to smokebox numberplate too.

Tim

Much the same as 73129 being shopped by St Rollox in October 1961 after a new boiler was fitted. It stayed a Patricroft loco right though all that time, but had large numerals and white border to smokebox numberplate too.

Tim

73129 was also in Scotland in June 1965. I saw it ex-works leaving Gourock on the up CTAC Scottish Tours Express.

• RMweb Gold

My favourite story in this connection is that of 34102 "Lapford", an original condition flat-top Bulleid Pacific, arriving at New Street on December 5th 1960. It had worked the Pines Express throughout from Bournemouth via Lickey. Believed to be the first visit to that station by such a loco - unless you know otherwise? She kipped overnight at Saltley, then took the southbound train back the next day.

• RMweb Gold

My favourite story in this connection is that of 34102 "Lapford", an original condition flat-top Bulleid Pacific, arriving at New Street on December 5th 1960. It had worked the Pines Express throughout from Bournemouth via Lickey. Believed to be the first visit to that station by such a loco - unless you know otherwise? She kipped overnight at Saltley, then took the southbound train back the next day.

Don't know of an earlier instance, but my Grandfather was the Signal Linesman at Proof House at the time and he reported it to me. We had been hauled by them on the last leg of holiday trips over the S&D and to North Devon, but he said that he hadn't seen one in the Birmingham area before.

• RMweb Gold

Don't know of an earlier instance, but my Grandfather was the Signal Linesman at Proof House at the time and he reported it to me. We had been hauled by them on the last leg of holiday trips over the S&D and to North Devon, but he said that he hadn't seen one in the Birmingham area before.

I should have credited my source, of course - Ian Allan's Locospotters' Annual 1962, edited by G Freeman Allen. The circumstances of the unusual working were the appalling floods in the West Country in the Autumn of 1960. These distressing events are a classic example of it being an ill wind that blows nobody any good because the article is full of implausible workings to make an enthusiast smile! How about the 10.30 Ilfracombe-Waterloo, which on October 1st was hauled by N class 31840, running via the WR route from Barnstaple to Taunton and thence via Westbury, where Bulleid Pacific 34051 took over for the journey to Waterloo via Salisbury? Or the Torbay Express, with a substitute 4945 Milligan Hall, diverted off the GW main line to the Weymouth route as far as Yeovil and thence to Exeter Central, where it was soon joined by the Royal Duchy with 5920 Wycliffe Hall on the front? While waiting there for about 4 hours it would have seen the Up Cornish Riviera with 34024 Tamar Valley doing the honours (yes!) heading for Basingstoke to rejoin the GW route at Reading. The Warships had been withdrawn at the first sight of floodwater, apparently, to avoid transmission damage. Great days - unless your house was under water, no doubt.

• 1 month later...

Two unusual arrivals in Bristol during the harsh Winter of 196263

Friday January 25 1963 V2 60945 took out the 3N10 8.15 parcels to Leeds

Thursday February 7 1963 46220 Coronation brought in the late running Glasgow portion of 1V86 overnight train from Manchester.

It was stabled on St Philip's Marsh that evening.

46229 also passed through Bristol on April 20 1964 en route to Butlins at Minehead

http://www.flickr.co...eam/5285905560/

Patrick

Not sure if this is what the OP is after but I did see 46121, HIGHLAND LIGHT INFANTRY etc. off Polmadie, at New Street on a Leeds-Bristol job at Easter 1962, it returned north the following day.

46121 wasn't a stranger to New St apparently - see http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/lnwrbns_br1812.htm which shows a photo by DJ Norton whose son has a marvellous web site http://www.photobydjnorton.com/

• RMweb Premium

46121 wasn't a stranger to New St apparently - see http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/lnwrbns_br1812.htm which shows a photo by DJ Norton whose son has a marvellous web site http://www.photobydjnorton.com/

In 1949 (date of picture) 46121 looks like it was a Longsight engine and Brum could be a possible roster, however it was later (1950 on) a Polmadie engine and a much rarer visitor especially on the NE - SW route.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

In 1949 (date of picture) 46121 looks like it was a Longsight engine and Brum could be a possible roster, however it was later (1950 on) a Polmadie engine and a much rarer visitor especially on the NE - SW route.

Keith

Royal Scots were rare on the NE-SW through Birmingham until some migrated to the East Midlands. Before dieselisation most passenger trains were handled by Barrow Road Jubilees and unrebuilt Patriots, with a small number of Holbeck, Millhouses or Derby Jubilees, and of course the ubiquitous Black Fives from all sheds along the route. Foreigners usually turned up on Friday night and Saturday in Summer or over Bank Holiday periods.

I did catch Holbeck Scot 46109 heading north through Snow Hill on ECS, I think from a troop special, on a Sunday night in October 1961.

46121, a 66A engine, arrived in Bristol on 1V43 12.52 York - Bristol on Tuesday April 24, 1962.

It left next morning on 1N32 7.30 Bristol - Bradford.

Black Five 45443 off 65F Grangemouth was at Barrow Road on Tuesday December 31, 1963

It left on the 4N18 2.55 York freight on the same day.

Patrick

46121, a 66A engine, arrived in Bristol on 1V43 12.52 York - Bristol on Tuesday April 24, 1962.

It left next morning on 1N32 7.30 Bristol - Bradford.

Black Five 45443 off 65F Grangemouth was at Barrow Road on Tuesday December 31, 1963

It left on the 4N18 2.55 York freight on the same day.

Patrick

Great Patrick!

That NE/SW route was marvellous for locos from the north particularly for Midlands folks.

Visits to Saltley often turned up V2s - eg a visit in early 1962 shows 60963 and B1 61112.

As an offshoot, B1s and far flung Austerities often made their way to Bescot much to our delight and I even recorded 60810 on 19/1/1965 although this could have been on it's way to a scrapyard at this stage in it's life.

As an offshoot, B1s and far flung Austerities often made their way to Bescot much to our delight and I even recorded 60810 on 19/1/1965 although this could have been on it's way to a scrapyard at this stage in it's life.

No, it lasted after that. Here's a picture of it taken at York shed on 19 August 1965:

post-1771-0-83351800-1293763273_thumb.jpg

Archived