Help Identifying DMU on SR

Bill

post-6939-028666000 1287853688_thumb.jpg

This is a picture of Guildford on the old SR in the seventies-eighties.

I need help in identifying the DMU unit - what is it -? could it possibly be a type of 108?

Does anyone know the period when these Blue and Grey DMU's would have been running on Southern rails?

Could the route have been from Guildford to Reading?

Thanks for any illumination on this matter...

Is that the Gloucester flavour of 'Cross-country set'? Afterwards class 119. The large brake van section and relatively few passenger access doors is the clue to it being a 'cross country' type, as opposed to the regular BR bog cart design intended for suburban or short haul services, with relatively little baggage space, and planty of doors to facilitate the loading and unloading of the walking freight.

Good ref site to clear up identity http://www.railcar.co.uk/index.htm

• RMweb Gold

post-6939-028666000 1287853688_thumb.jpg

This is a picture of Guildford on the old SR in the early seventies.

I need help in identifying the DMU unit - what is it -? could it possibly be a type of 108?

Does anyone know the period when these Blue and Grey DMU's would have been running on Southern rails?

Could the route have been from Guildford to Reading?

Thanks for any illumination on this matter...

I can give you half a story. WR DMMUs replaced the 3R "Tadpole" units on this route in the late '70s, date not known. They ran throughout Reading - Tonbridge, but there were also semi-fast services to Gatwick Airport, using more "Cross-Country" units - my ignorance of DMMU types generally is impressive, sadly! They were replaced by Turbos in the early '90s.

Thank you Chris - 34C - and Ian for your kind responses they make it all very clear - I shall just have to wait until Bachmann or someone else comes out with a 119 - Considering their limited range, this would seem to be a very unlikely occurence - 119's don't quite have the cachet of a B*** Pull***.

• RMweb Gold

DC Kits do a 119 if you fancy a kit Bill - have a peep at http://www.dckits-de...3_car_unit_.php. Never built one myself, although I've heard from others they go together nicely.

Pix

Hi Pix,

ALL DC Kits go together nicely....

Overall - they are one of the best kits to assemble.

That is - as long as you follow one or other of the building processes that are in the instructions.

Make a decision early on - BEFORE you start building - Then stick to it!

Do you like building kits from the floor upwards or from the roof downwards?

This simple question is the first decision to make.

Doing a mix and match of the methods does not work, and (in my experience) has been proven to be the situation when someone has said 'I gave up'!

Charlie tells you that the only adhesive he recommends is Butanone.

There are good reasons for this!

It's the only one that has proved to be consistent in sticking his kits together successfully.

As a veteran of over 40 of Charlies kits - I speak from experianece!

Thanks

I have done the Craftsman conversion for a class 120 and have a 119 in the wings, both using Lima class 117s as a basis. I recently re-chassised the 120 using a new Hornby (Limby?) class 121 chassis. The conversions involve quite bit of cutting and filing but end up quite robust. Apart from the front ends and a few minor details, the 119 and 120 are very similar to each other.

Class120-3-800.jpg

• 3 months later...

A heads-up that DC Kits are about to restock with 3R Tadpole DMU kits - the predecessors to the DMU pictured - which ran the Guildford - Reading line from the demise of steam in the mid 60's til second half of 70's. A fun unit to have as the Hastings stock (2 coaches) were thinner than the other driving unit (ex EPB) - hence the Tadpole nickname. (Later classed 206 in TOPS). With Bachmann's soon to come EPB and the possibility/rumour of a Class 201 full Hastings unit on the way (following the success of their 4CEP), it might be possible to create 2 Tadpoles my mixing these 2 kits! Depends where the drive units are. In the meantime all the research I have done re DC Kits is very positive.

• RMweb Premium

Can only agree re previous comments about DC Kits, they go together very nicely indeed (if you use the right glue AND adopt a consistent approach to building them - I go for "from the roof down"!)

I've built 4 of their 3rd rail EMUs and rate them highly.

• RMweb Premium

3R (class 204) "Tadpole" demu units ran on the Reading - Tonbridge all-stations service for several years following the end of steam but were always supplemented by the occasional WR dmmu set. A few trips from Reading to Guildford were rostered for them I believe (probably for route and / or traction knowledge purposes, or possibly because there was no SR unit able to cover peak extras) and occasionally they were substituted by Reading depot if the SR unit failed at the western end of the route.

BR then decided that an hourly semi-fast Reading - Gatwick (reversing at Redhill) service would be beneficial and this used WR dmmu sets of class 119 and 120 from the outset. It is more than likely one of these trips which is in the OP photograph.

Subsequent to that the "Tadpoles" were disbanded with the narrow ex-6S coaches going to reformed 6S (class 201) sets but not in original formations due to accident losses and the ex 2-EPB DTS vehicles were added to the 2H units 1119-22 which became 3T units 1401-4. The Tadpole service was then entirely operated by WR stock including through to Tonbridge until sectorisation when it became a part of NSE. Class 117 units appeared on occasions and in later years class 104 sets which migrated south from Manchester to Reading were occasional performers where their superior power:weight ratio was appreciated over the hilly route.

Upon withdrawal of the WR dmmu sets they were replaced by class 165 / 166 sets which still run the Reading - Gatwick service. Redhill - Tonbridge was electrified and has seen a bizarre series of services none of which seem to last long. London Bridge - Redhill - Tonbridge is one while Horsham - Gatwick - Tonbridge (reverse at Redhill) failed to prove worthwhile. South Eastern and Southern have worked that part of the route with class 375, 377 and 508/3 units.

• 2 years later...
Guest Celticwardog

Thought some might be interested, this is our version of a tadpole a massively kitbashed Bachmann (roof split and made narrower, brass sides - in fact the only only thing left really is the underframe/bogies and that's been added to. Forgive the harsh close ups LOL.

post-19818-0-49739900-1380576568_thumb.jpg

post-19818-0-46120700-1380576572_thumb.jpg

post-19818-0-24611000-1380576578_thumb.jpg

post-19818-0-74145400-1380576582_thumb.jpg

post-19818-0-44472100-1380576587_thumb.jpg

Thought some might be interested, this is our version of a tadpole a massively kitbashed Bachmann (roof split and made narrower, brass sides - in fact the only only thing left really is the underframe/bogies and that's been added to. Forgive the harsh close ups LOL.

Now that Tadpole is box like, blue, with a plain yellow end, and it's dirty and grimy...................NICE !!! that is a great model.

• RMweb Premium

the 'tadpoles' were a low-cost solution to keeping the line open - it had been marked for closure in the beeching report 

http://www.semgonline.com/RlyMag/Reading-TonbridgeLineDieselisation.pdf

when they were disbanded, the remaining tadpole 1206 was reformed using 6L vehicles (previously, 6S ones as noted above) and i recall seeing this being referred to as a 'regional spare'. 

1206 seemingly lasted till 1981 with a 6L DMBS, 6S TF (declassed to TC) and EPB DTS, all in blue/grey: http://www.flickr.com/photos/60693939@N05/5902137877

the other units could often have the DMBS/TS in blue/grey and the DTS in blue

the 119s were useful due to the large luggage van in the DMBS, but also had the former buffet area of the TS converted into an additional luggage space

(on the OP's pic, the very left-hand blank area of the 2nd coach of the DMU). IIRC they received some sort of branding, like a hand painted 'luggage area' on the panel

Archived