Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Ultimate Dream Layout?

. It would be based on the LD&ECR and would include Lincoln Central and then several stations along the line, including Langwith Junction and Chesterfield Market Place. I would use modeller's licence to assume that the passenger traffic developed as intended, with the GCR takeover in 1907 meaning Robinson and Pollitt locos and stock (plus a few Sacre) adding to the LD&ECR roster. There would be through trains from the Midland, the GER and possibly a bit of GNR as well.

Wouldn't be that massive a licence. The GE and GN had and exercised running powers over the LDEC, chiefly for coal traffic, and the Midland ran passenger trains to Edwinstowe - I think that was the limit, or possibly Ollerton. The most interesting period would be 1907-1910 when you could quite reasonably have LDEC, GC, GN, GE and Midland liveries, to say nothing of Tuxford painted GC engines with LDEC style lining. Great fun. Er - you would need to make rather a lot of coal wagons though.

Im on with one of mine :D Glasgow Queen Street in 1988 Monster of a place...

37s

47s

43s

20s

26s

Dbso's

104s

108s

107s

and many more!!!!

apart from there Eastfield depots on the Next list followed when i could find the space by Inveness (i wish)

• RMweb Premium

Wouldn't be that massive a licence. The GE and GN had and exercised running powers over the LDEC, chiefly for coal traffic, and the Midland ran passenger trains to Edwinstowe - I think that was the limit, or possibly Ollerton. The most interesting period would be 1907-1910 when you could quite reasonably have LDEC, GC, GN, GE and Midland liveries, to say nothing of Tuxford painted GC engines with LDEC style lining. Great fun. Er - you would need to make rather a lot of coal wagons though.

When I talk about licence I really mean to put some big tender locos on the passenger trains! I like the idea of running Midland locos on LD&ECR trains, which was a feature of the operation, as well as the mix of pregrouping companies. That is one of the reasons why I like the model of Tickhill & Wadworth on the South Yorkshire Joint. I love the GCR Atlantics (and have one part built plus the chance to run Malcolm Crawley's magnificent scratchbuilt one) and it would seem a shame not run some of the late Rev. Peter Denny's stock, which I am very lucky to have the opportunity to use. Between our little gang we have around 200 private owner coal wagons mostly kit built and hand painted but I think we could double or triple that and still not have enough!

My dad was born and brought up in Church Warsop, near to Langwith and took me as a small boy to see the remains there as well as the other stations along the line. I have had an interest in it ever since and have models of all 4 LD&ECR classes, either in LD&ECR or LNER livery. Even if I can't build the whole lot, I do intend to model a terminus, based loosely on Chesterfield but probably called Mansfield (where a line was proposed) so at least part of my dream could come true before too long.

For me it would be Gidea Park Station circa 1967 in EM. It had everything - two "fast" and two "slow" tracks, carriagee sidings not too distant, "clean urban grot" (I know an apparent contradiction in terms, but the housing around GPS were very urban [suburban?] but quite well maintained). So lots of operating potential - the only downside being the need to scratchbuild nearly all the stock and the OHC (of course, with a lottery win you could commision that nice Mr Kohler to build you some suitable rolling stock).

If I were to do it justice (and include the carriage sidings) I'd need 5000ft translated into 4mm/ft - which would be approx 20m long - feasable I'd say (although that's without staging tracks and much more would be needed for a "roundy-roundy")

One can but dream...

F

• RMweb Gold

Strangely enough, my last two layouts (Sutton Dock and Tickhill & Wadworth) both genuinely came to me in dreams! Both times I had been dreaming that I was at an exhibition looking at the layouts but had no idea that they Tickhill was mine in the dream. It was only when I sat down to plan it that I realised. Sutton Dock came to me in a dream and I liked it in the dream so much that I drew the plan immediately I awoke, so I wouldn't forget it!

Tony, what exactly do you put in your cocoa of an evening? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I have relatives who worked on Tickhill and Wadworth station (Grandad). In terms of dream layout, it would have to be a combination of the seawall stretch or the ECML racing track just South of Doncaster. The criss-crossing of Joint Line and the climb up to Bawtry. Traction has to be EE for both potential layouts.

Greedy me.

I'd plump for everything on the Limehouse & Blackwall pre-1926 - as shown on this diagram - including all depot's, odd spurs and the detour up to Victoria Park & Bow (which would be a return loop with marshalling yard to represent Liverpool Street). Mind you; I'd make it modifiable to be able to run the Fenchurch Street end c.1962! Or go the other way and re instigate rope haulage!

Oh.... and in P4....:rolleyes:

Cheers

Jan

...and I'd just like to add that I would have no trouble asking those with better skills (and eyesight) to do it for me.

I want to change mine! I was a the NRM a few weeks back, and in the Warehouse they have a model of the approaches to Euston at Chalk Farm.

It's 200' to 1" and is about 10' long.

So 120" (10' x 12") x 200' = 24000'.

At 2mm/ft =48000mm or 48m.

I'm sure I could find a shed that long...

Guest jim s-w

It strikes me that nearly everybody wants to build something based on a real location. Then I think about how many actual layouts of real locations ever see the light of day and the two don't seem to match up. The thing with huge layots is that it is pretty much impossible to contemplate doing everything yourself unless you are willing to spend many many years on the project.

People spend many years on small layouts too. Seems these days many people want the "quick win" and don't think long term. Nothing wrong with that of course but if we all think lit that shows in 10 or 20 years are going to be pretty dull! I would still bet I am not going to build any more layout in my model 'career' than the next guy. It's just my mini layouts all join up into one big layout!

Cheers

Jim

Personally as a long term aim I would love to model....

Bath Spa, Didcot Parkway (with the GWS of course ;)), Lindau in Deutschland, Sherborne and Bedlinog!

Naturally, I believe in life I would only have time for one of those big'uns which is most likely to be Bath Spa but Id dearly love to get round to my "mini dream" layouts of Sherborne and Bedlinog.

I think part of the reason for the desire to model real places is that you can build a real tangible connection with a real place (of my dream layouts I have been to all of them except one) and thus have such a connection. Im also a historian at heart so I love historical representation side of things... but thats me!

m0rris

Guest jim s-w

Indeed Morris

Never underestimate the reaction you get from modelling a real place. People always have stories even from a small location such as amlwch. It's just something you don't get from an imaginary location, no matter how well modelled

Cheers

Jim

Personally as a long term aim I would love to model....

Bath Spa, Didcot Parkway (with the GWS of course ;)), Lindau in Deutschland, Sherborne and Bedlinog!

Naturally, I believe in life I would only have time for one of those big'uns which is most likely to be Bath Spa but Id dearly love to get round to my "mini dream" layouts of Sherborne and Bedlinog.

I think part of the reason for the desire to model real places is that you can build a real tangible connection with a real place (of my dream layouts I have been to all of them except one) and thus have such a connection. Im also a historian at heart so I love historical representation side of things... but thats me!

m0rris

Indeed Morris

Never underestimate the reaction you get from modelling a real place. People always have stories even from a small location such as amlwch. It's just something you don't get from an imaginary location, no matter how well modelled

Cheers

Jim

These two quotes only confirm my wish to build Reading station, (which also seems quite popular in this thread). My ramblings elsewhere on the forum have brough forth a multitude of alternative locations/options, but its the connection with the place that drives that desire to model it.

its the connection with the place that drives that desire to model it.

Indeed, to both these points, I would love in a strange way to model myself and freinds/aquaintainces on a layout such as of Sherborne as I have a connection with the place and consequently by modelling myself and other characters I know waiting at the station it gives me a real link between me and the model. Modelling a real place will always get a reaction from those who aren't into trains - along the lines of I used to go through there or go from there everyday to those who are into trains with comments such as I saw my first xyz etc as well as the typical I lived near there style comments!

m0rris

Archived