Sticking down track-plans

Morning all,

I know that this is yet another 'beginners' question but I'm keen to get things right from the beginning :) I'm just about at the point where I want to stick the Templot track-plan to the base boards and I would like to hear what method people find most effective.

I have heard that using PVA is a common approach, but how is this applied; is it diluted?; how thick is the spread?; any particular type of PVA (evostick, wood, craft, etc)? My initial concern with this approach is that it could run the risk of soaking into the paper plan and smudging the printing.

I can see alternatives to PVA by using some form of spray mount or pritt stick etc. Whilst these may be easy to use, my concern would be how well would these last - would the later use of diluted PVA for ballasting cause the initial adhesive to break down?

What have others experiences been in this area? Looking forwards to hearing your words of wisdom, cheers

• RMweb Gold

I use 3mm double sided tape from ebay both to stick my plans to the board and to stick the copperclad sleepers to the plan. Gives all the stick I need and just as importantly can be unstuck without ruining anything.

• RMweb Premium

Once you have stuck the plan down prick holes in to it. This will allow later glue - e.g. from ballast to seep through and will solve any problems with the original glue.

• RMweb Premium

I print my templates out on thicker paper (160g) and just use PVA undiluted put on thinly with a brush. With using the thicker paper it doesn't distort as the glue wets it. For building frogs/crossings off the baseboard I use Pritt on thinner paper then double sided sticky for the copperclad.

Jamie

I use 3M spray mount to fix the paper template to the baseboard and then run over it with a wall paper wheel. The reason for doing that is that I then lay my track on cork strip which is glued to the plan with pva. The holes allow the pva to permeate through the plan and hold the track bed securely in position.

You can see this method in my layout thread Eastwood Town.

Edit: Forgot to say I build the pointwork away from the layout. Here I'll print off a template and use double sided tape to hold the sleepers in position whilst the turnout is constructed. Once completed it is transferred to the layout plan.

• RMweb Premium

I can see the benefit of having the plan on the baseboard for track laying but would be concerned that that plan may cause problems later when ballasting and weathering it - or have I missed something?

Thanks again for all assistance...

I can see the benefit of having the plan on the baseboard for track laying but would be concerned that that plan may cause problems later when ballasting and weathering it - or have I missed something?

Ray

Sorry for the delay in answering :( ; the track pan is very securely fixed to the boards to allow the track & points to be built directly on the track-bed. As to the later weathering & ballasting, the surface will be 'roughed' (and pierced) to help the glueing of the ballast, and the use of acrylic varnish is compatible with the choice of acrylic paints for weathering. Hope this helps :).

More detail / explanation can be seen on the Smokey Bacon thread (shameless plug :D)

Archived