Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Peco Double Slip

It was all going so well,or so I fondly thought after successfully fitting SEEP PM1s to a number of Code 75 Electrofrogs.But I'm in difficulty with my double slip. At one end,the tie-bar refuses to move. I don't think the problem lies with the wiring of the PM1,as it was tested for satisfactory operation before being fitted - and I can see the solenoid trying to move as the switch is thrown. I also think that I've got the alignment right. I did notice,before laying the slip,that this particular tie-bar needed more manual "throw" pressure than those on the points. In my naveity (this being my first attempt at a model railway since a Triang set in the 50s)I imagined that the PM1 would still be capable of moving it. If the stiffness of the tie-bar is indeed the cause of the problem,can anyone suggest how I might free it up? (The slip and its adjoining trackwork are all now pinned down to the board,of course!)

Would be grateful for your advice.

DR

• RMweb Gold

Drop the motor off and try again, if it's now free it's the motor alignment, if not then either it's "naturally" stiff, something is blocking the tie bar, or you have pinned it down too hard (try removing any pins)?

And next time check its free before laying and before attaching the motor ;)

On my layout the most common cause of this is the tie rod through the baseboard fouling the slot.i have to drop the motor( two screws and sticky tape ) and either realign it or open out the slot.

I am unsure whether Peco product is the same but on my Tillig points I doubt the tie bar would prevent the solenoid moving without breaking or dismounting from the rail ears.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for these comments.

I've now unscrewed the motor from the board. Yes,the tie-bar is a trifle stiff,but I've also noticed that this particular motor doesn't move quite as freely as the others. It operates OK electrically,but moving it to and fro manually reveals some friction. It's difficult to detect whether that is coming from the rod as it moves between the coils, or from the washer as it slides over the contact strip - although I suspect the latter. I've read the thread about the use of Vaseline or WD 40. Could I - should I - use a tiny application of Vaseline,say, on the washer to see if that helps.??

Thanks again.

DR

• RMweb Gold

Vaseline is fine, but definitely not WD40 - that will leave a nasty residue behind! I use Vaseline on my Peco PL10s which does a very good job of keeping them free running.

Slide the "T" piece that sits before the tie bar away from the tie bar to ease the pressure on the tie bar spring.

Therefore allowing a freer moving tie bar. If it's too slack, then move the "T" piece forward to add tension to the tie bar.

K9-70

Archived