Irwell Press 'Somerset & Dorset Files'... does anyone have them?

Rugd1022

My other half recently asked me what I'd like for Christmas and my thoughts turned to the dear old S&D, having dipped into my much thumbed Ivo Peters books once more.... a light went on in my head and I thought the Irwell Press softbacks on the line might be worth a punt. Looking at their website gives an overall look at the six books but I was wondering what specifically is in each one, before ordering the lot (at nigh on £70!).

Any info is much appreciated ;)

Cheers, Nidge

Ive got all 6 and can thoroughly reccomend them to any S&D buff! They all have a good selection of photo's and also explore some of the lesser known parts of the line. Thinking off the top of my head (as i'm currently in work working ;) ) there is a nice section on the 2ft line to Oakhill Brewery (Vol 3 I think), there are also interesting section's on the Bridgewater Branch and the Wells Branch. I also like the picture of the (4t?) mobile hand crane which looks a bit of an oddity.

Just checked Amazon (which i'm sure is where you've already looked) and you can get all 6 for £67, that said it looks like they've only got 1 left for 3 of the vols!

Another recommendation for an excellent S&D book would "Somerset and Dorset in Colour (The Norman Lockett Collection)". This is one of my favourite S&D books and probably the one I refer back to most. Secondhand copies currently available on Amazon from £7.

Hope that helps

Paul

Afternoon Paul,

Many thanks for that, I'm now inclined towards a bulk purchase of said books, they sound like just the ticket B)

Already got the Norman Lockett book and like you it's one of my favourites, my copy is much thumbed I can tell you! I've also got the Martin Welch colour album which is beautifully done, plus the first 'Sabotaged & Defeated' softback by Jeffery Grayer which I'd recommend.

I'll let you get on with some work now... ;)

Cheers, Nidge

Nidge,

Thought it was about time for another quick tea break! ;)

Yup, like yourself i've got the other's you list too! Not much S&D escapes me! I'm very impressed by the second 'Sabotaged & Defeated' by the way, this time in hardback! Unfortunately I haven't been able to procure a copy just yet, but at worst it will be on the Christmas list.

Another good book in my oppinion is the Owens book? 'Life on the Railway' I think its called. Very useful for the operational view and a bit more personal than the Express publishing timetable books.

Refering back to the Irwell Press Files, one of the biggest plus's in my oppinion is the position of the majority of the pictures are quite different to those of the traditional Ivo Peters shots.

Anyway, I hope they fit the bill, besides you can never have enough S&D reference material!

Best wishes

Paul

• RMweb Gold

I'm very impressed by the second 'Sabotaged & Defeated' by the way, this time in hardback! Unfortunately I haven't been able to procure a copy just yet

Why not pop along to the new Titfield Thunderbolt bookshop in Larkhall, Bath for Simon's opening event on Saturday 13th November and get a signed copy, because Jeff Grayer will be there in person, along with various other luminaries! (including Neil Rushby with 'Shell Island'). Sausages and cheese on sticks also available to favoured persons......... apparently! ;)

Another good book in my oppinion is the Owens book? 'Life on the Railway' I think its called. Very useful for the operational view and a bit more personal than the Express publishing timetable books

This is true and is one of my most read books, again very different from the traditional Ivo Peters views

Refering back to the Irwell Press Files, one of the biggest plus's in my oppinion is the position of the majority of the pictures are quite different to those of the traditional Ivo Peters shots

The biggest drawback to all six of the Irwell Press files is that their contributors clearly showed a lamentable lack of initiative whenever Class 17s, Westerns and a number of prototype diesels were known to be working a train over the S&D.... :rolleyes: :P

Many thanks Paul and CK ;)

I'd love to nip down to Bath on the 13th but alas I fear I'll be conducting a Railgrinder or staring at a red signal somewhere that day :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tip on the Owen book too, it's now on 'the list' along with the various Hammond books on the line which I saw at Rubert Humm's shop a while back. And no, you can never have enough of the S&D....!

Nidge ;)

Archived