Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby System pros and cons?

brynjames

What are the pros and cons of the Hornby DCC system compared with the more "serious" offerings from folks like NCR and Gaugemaster?

Pricing seems reasonable and at least it should all work nicely with an all-Hornby layout, but are there significant limitations?

--

Bryn

I use the elite and have no problems as do others, but there will be some on here that the mention of the name Hornby will bring nothing but negative comments.

At the end of the day if you can visit a shop that deals in DCC and talk to them and have a feel of the equipment that would be your best way forward.

Bryn,

I have a sizeable layout, created over the last two years,which ran until recently with all-Hornby elecronics: Select, Elite, point/accessory decoders and reverse loop modules. I found very quickly that that the Select was too limited in its functionality and added the Elite (using the Select as a "walkabout". Unfortunately, I found the Elite, whilst well-specified, was like trying to drive with elastic controls. Not only that but, because the Elite is a console, it cannot be hand-held so is effectively fixed and the Select is also too bulky to be hand-held so was an extension rather than a walkabout. I decided recently therefore to replace both controllers with NCE Powercab and Procab and the difference is a revelation. I have over 50 points operated by Hornby surface mounted point motors and all work well with the R8247 and the NCE equipment. However, I have had trouble with the reverse loop modules - two of which have failed and have been replaced with the Gaugemaster DCC40. Several point motors also proved faulty and have been replaced with the same make. A particular surprise on making the change was the degreee to which the slow running of all my locos was improved.

I am sorry to be negative about the Hornby controllers and I regret to say that I cannot support your view that "it should all work nicely with an all-Hornby layout". In my experience, the Horby equipment actually works better with the NCE controllers than with Hornby's.

Harold.

I have recently upgraded from an Elite to an NCE Powercab.

There isn’t that much wrong with the Elite. It reads and writes CV’s. It’s relatively easy to use to control the speed of locos. The display is quite nice. Overall it’s OK but it’s a real pain when using sound loco’s. Initial impressions were good but over time it failed to carry the feeling of a well thought out and professional product. It needs updating.

The Powercab is in a different league. Overall it’s much easier to use and being a hand held you’re not tethered to a single control point. It feels great in the hand with all the controls very easy to access. It’s very well thought out and a professional product. My 5 year old and I don’t regret the change and quickly made thetransition.

I have the Elite controler

it works ok

the only problem is that it takes sevral button pushes to do something

I have solved this problem

I have the JMIR software running and conected to the Elite

then as i have an Iphone I run the withrottle app on it

this alows me to control the layout and only requires 1 press of a fubction button to

control anything now

i am very pleased with the setup

and the elite runs well with the jmir software

sound pro/decoder pro & panel pro

rgds

mike

I also have an Elite, for my roundy roundy in the loft, and an NCE Powercab for a 10ft x 15 inch Minories type layout I am starting downstairs (may not be able to get in the loft much longer). I agree with the comments so far, but one advantage the Elite has over the NCE is the ability to 'stack' four or maybe more locos, i.e. I can start 2 trains running, and then 2 more, then reselect the first 2 and bring them back under control - without them stopping. The Powercab will run maybe 4 trains (although no room to do so) but will stop the first when you reselect it. A disdvantage on a larger layout, but no real problem on a short end to end.

• RMweb Gold

The recall button will only remember two locos.

The Powercab has a limit of 2 locos in the recall stack.

It will hold a total of 12 locos and run 12 if you had the power but switching from one to another which is outside the recall stack may cause a few issues, hard to explain if you've never used one, but actually quite straight forward.

I have the Powercab and for me it does the job perfectly, I sold the Elite as operating the functions on a sound loco was just a nightmare, it only has 8 or 9 functions as well.

If you have no intention of using PC control then the Gaugemaster Prodigy Advanced² wireless is not a bad choice, £424 for a full radio wireless system, no cables to worry about.

It has all the functions you would need, but like I say no PC control, or should I say limited with the Prodigy's own software.(this is actually a rebadged MRC system)

In Hornby magazine 34 there is an in depth review of the Prodigy, if you can get hold of a back issue may be good to read what is said.

http://www.modelrect...dcc-prodigy.asp

As has already been posted, if you can get to a shop that has some in stock or an exhibition then try as many as you can to see which you prefer, if your in no rush Digitrains will be at Warley at the end of the month, they normally have a Powercab and Prodigy on the stand, so you will be able to have a play with one of the sound chipped locos on the rolling road. Idon't know if they will have an Elite, it says on the web site they are out of stock.

As Hornby will have one on their stand though you should have all bases covered.

Cheers

Ian

• RMweb Premium

I had an Elite for three years it is a nice bit of kit and well supported. Yes it has a lot of button pushing, but having recently changed to Lenz (purely for the mobility) I find that there is just as much button pushing on the that.. johnd is right in that there are some people who appear to knock Hornby because it is fashionable to do so. However the Elite is a very good controller, updates are downloadable and free and it can be used with iphone control etc and programming is a doddle. Price wise it is very competetive especially when you consider the Bachmann system to get the same spec. as the Elite is very expensive. Give one a try at a good model shop, or if you go to any exhibition that the Hornby roadshow is at ask them to try it out they are usually pretty obliging. Like all these things there are lots of different systems have the same function i.e. to control your trains, try them out and decide, but I can recommend the Elite as a long time satisfied user.

....having recently changed to Lenz (purely for the mobility) I find that there is just as much button pushing on the that...

As a Lenz user, I have to say that the user interface on the LH100 is not the best. There are better handsets out there.

johnd is right in that there are some people who appear to knock Hornby because it is fashionable to do so.

I think that's a bit unfair with regard to comments about the Elite. It's a valiant first attempt by Hornby, but there's no getting away from the fact it is very poorly designed for using functions.

Price wise it is very competetive especially when you consider the Bachmann system to get the same spec. as the Elite is very expensive.

It's not that easy to compare the two systems as they are quite different (not comparing Eggs with Eggs etc,).

For example the Elite is 50% more expensive than the basic Dynamis (typical shop prices), but has the advantage of a computer interface and abilty to read CV's. On the other hand the Dynamis is wireless.

Adding a Pro Box to gain extra functionality, particularly the abilty to read CV's, does make the Dynamis more expensive (about £90 or so), but is still has the advantage of wireless capabilty and abilty to use multiple wireless throttles which is not available with the Elite. I agree that the Pro Box is over-priced though.

Its not realy true about the elite not haveing wirless control

like i said

my elite is conected to a computer

that is running JMIR

the computer is set up as a add-hoc wifi

my iphone then becomes a wireless / wifi hand walkabout

it can control several locos ( although only display 2 )

when my mates come round they can connect with their iphones at the same time

the other night we had 6 iphones running 8 locos at the same time

i dont have to work the elite at all

admitted not everyone has an iphone

but given that

how many other systems give you the same options at the same price level :)

mike

Its not realy true about the elite not haveing wirless control

like i said

my elite is conected to a computer

that is running JMIR

the computer is set up as a add-hoc wifi

my iphone then becomes a wireless / wifi hand walkabout

it can control several locos ( although only display 2 )

when my mates come round they can connect with their iphones at the same time

the other night we had 6 iphones running 8 locos at the same time

i dont have to work the elite at all

admitted not everyone has an iphone

but given that

how many other systems give you the same options at the same price level :)

mike

i think i could get a digitrax duplex radio chief set and an extra DT402D for the 500 quid an iphone costs? AND the missus couldn't phone me when i was in the train room... :D

but i know what you meant.

Given all the problems with compatibly of the early Hornby kit, other than a decoder (which all the wires came off) I've avoided Hornby DCC altogether. NCE cab system, lenz accessory decoders and a various decoders from manufacturers is the way I've chosen to go. Hornby is still at the bottom of the list for me

• RMweb Premium

Compatibility issues? I thought that they were with the select not the Elite, I bought the Elite when it was fairly new to the market and do not recall any problems, I take your point Oakydoke with regard to functions which are a bit fiddly, its a case of horses for courses, I never had any user problems with my Elite because I liked the process one went through, however having now changed to Lenz I would not go back, but like you say the Lenz handset can best be described as adequate

Given all the problems with compatibly of the early Hornby kit, other than a decoder (which all the wires came off) I've avoided Hornby DCC altogether. NCE cab system, lenz accessory decoders and a various decoders from manufacturers is the way I've chosen to go. Hornby is still at the bottom of the list for me

Just the type of comment that was due to come.

The early decoder and the select I would agree with but have had no problems with the later decoder if you accept it as a basic decode to run a loco,many have said on here they are happy with the elite so every body has there views, the best to find what suites a person is to visit a shop that deals in DCC or and exhib and talk and see if you can have a go, then make your own mind up within what you can afford within your budget.

Compatibility issues? I thought that they were with the select not the Elite, I bought the Elite when it was fairly new to the market and do not recall any problems, I take your point Oakydoke with regard to functions which are a bit fiddly, its a case of horses for courses, I never had any user problems with my Elite because I liked the process one went through, however having now changed to Lenz I would not go back, but like you say the Lenz handset can best be described as adequate

When the Elite was first released the DCC waveform output to the track was well out of spec (possibly as bad as the Select). It was also virtually impossible to get the functions to work with controller 2.

These problems were corrected in later firmware updates. Some other minor issues were also corrected along the way and it now conforms to NMRA standards.

I bought my Elite when it first came out and was quite disappointed with some of the difficulties of using it. The firmware updates have made it more usable but I think a Mark2 version is now needed to bring the function operation to a more acceptable level.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks smokebox, as I said I never experienced the problems you mention. I wholeheartedly agree it is time Hornby moved on with the Elite to improve function accessibily and control and a full spec. hand control unit that will work off the Elite Base station (radio,cable or IR). It may not be the most intuitive but the Hornby system is by no means the worst around. It is a good way to get into DCC without having to know too much, the handbook is excellent for explaining how to double head, change CV's, programme etc. without going over the top. It could be described as wanting to cover all bases with the familiarity of knobs and a rather traditional looking presentation,

I would say that it is aimed at people like me who wanted to change to DCC but needed to understand it easily; at those dyed in the wool DC operators who on trying it would have a familiar feel, and the young who may not want to know all the theory but will soon pick up the practical. The Elite is able to be used in some of the most demanding circumstances, but in order to appeal to the experienced user who has embraced the theory as well as the practical then Hornby would have to produce a 'pro' version if you like. Bachmann have moved their system on, I would say Hornby need to do the same.

i'm surprised it is on the list at all? :D :D

Archived