A scenic module for stock photo's .

• RMweb Premium

As a bit of a break from locos and rolling stock I decided to build a small scenic area to take some photo's of

my finished builds on . They did not look to smart sat on the work bench .

So having absorbed a lot of good tips and info from the mass of superb pics and threads that have appeared here

I set to .

Using a small 24'' x 10'' shelf as a base I followed the usual method of formers and fillings to get some shape

in place , this was then painted and covered in some different lengths and colours of static grass , the track was

given a bit of ballast all applied in the usual way .

This is not in any way meant to be the tip top bit of modelling , it's just to provide a bit of a back drop for some

photos .

I would welcome any comments from you guys as to how you think it looks , where it could be improved etc ,

then when I'm ready to get to work on the layout proper I can improve areas as needed .

A few photo's of the build follow .

post-6765-063750900 1289387348_thumb.jpg

post-6765-054893500 1289387363_thumb.jpg

post-6765-021725000 1289387402_thumb.jpg

post-6765-027100100 1289387429_thumb.jpg

post-6765-011268800 1289387451_thumb.jpg

post-6765-061987100 1289387475_thumb.jpg

post-6765-003414800 1289387503_thumb.jpg

It's difficult to tell from the photos but the scenery looks a little too "uniform" - too perfectly mixed. Clumps of different height grasses, bushes and brambles with color variations would make a big difference, less closer to the rails, of course.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

You should have a fence line present between the railway land and the rest of the world.

The colour of the grass is also a little to even. If you look at most grassy areas (not lawns or parks though) you will tend to see subtle tonal variations where different species of grass are surviving. This is more evident in older landscapes. Now farmers are more likely to have reseeded fields leading to a reduction in variety. If you are trying to model crops then the opposite is true. As a controlled monoculture you see very limited variation in colour and height, especially in modern fields.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the comments , I had to use the grass that I had for now , it is longer at the back by the way , I will also be adding some fencing and other items when I can rediscover them , they are in a box somewhere !!! :unsure:

The fence will go between the longer grass and the shorter stuff to the rear bank , then some bushy bits will get added .

As this is just a practice piece I did not want to go and buy to much .

Here is a slightly better shot of the different lengths of grass .

post-6765-044495200 1289394380_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

From the original pictures it was hard to see this difference in length, I think that they may have been hiding some of the colour variation as well. This picture shows up how just adding the different length of grass has made quite a difference.

Edit to make it sound better and more sensible.

• RMweb Premium

From the original pictures it was hard to see this difference in length, I think that they may have been hiding some of the colour variation as well. This picture shows up how just adding the different length of grass has made quite a difference.

Thanks Kris .

My rubbish photography does'nt help either . :rolleyes:

Several photos were taken in different lighting conditions just to add confusion .

• RMweb Gold

It looks very much like one I have attempted, only better than mine. :) The only things I can think of would be more foliage and perhaps a sky backscene for lower angle shots. I have a lot more to do on mine to get it halfway presentable.

Archived