OO (& H0) Modular standards

zabdiel

I've been thinking for a while about building an OO module, with the intention of building some more at some point. My motivation is similar to Justin1985 who asked a similar question about N standards, but I'm working in a larger scale:

Primarily I'm thinking of building a modular system not to add modules to a larger project, but simply as a convenient way of building something within my constraints. It seems like it would make sense to follow some kind of defined standard though, so I could contribute them to a larger setup at some point, and just to ensure consistency.

My model will be based in the early 2000s, somewhere in the southern region and planning on having 3rd rail on at least some tracks. I've got a box of Peco code 100 track which I bought before they released the code 75 stuff. I'll probably start of with a fairly basic module first, probably about 3' x 1' with a double track mainline on an embankment. Something like this card mockup (this is 3'x9"):

4596808720_996e1642f9.jpg

I've done some research on OO and H0 standards and there are a couple of candidates:

The Fremo range of standards H0, which are in German, though there is now a Fremo UK yahoo group and an English translation is in progress. End profiles are available from Harald Brosch. I like the fact that in Fremo track positions are defined relative the the intermodule connectors, rather than the module edges, as this keeps things flexible (important as I don't want to plan all my modules at once).

The Double O Gauge Association modules, which are based on the Fareham & District MRC modules, which in turn are based on NMRA and NEM standards. It doesn't sound like the DOGA standards have been finalised, and I'd rather run the track up to the edge of the boards, than use joiner tracks.

Are there other standards that I've missed? Does anyone have any experiences in using either of these standards?

http://rstowerfreemo.wordpress.com/module-info/module-specifications/

We're actively building and using modules to the standards on our website above, which are a distillation/customisation of elements of the Euro-based but US outline FREMO-US and the US-based equivalent Freemo - one of the main objectives was to make the standard as simple as possible and as flexible as possible.

We're working in US outline HO but using something similar for UK outline OO ought to be quite easy. I've often thought the concept would work well for an S&D or West Highland line based project as the slower operation of a single track route suits the linear style well.

There's a chap called Rod (10800) on this very forum who's also using Freemo-like specs for a big project to recreate a chunk of the Southern Region - his blog is here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/blog/275/entry-4926-good-to-be-making-progress/

Thanks Martyn. I'd just spotted your module and found the specs and was about to post a link to them myself. There's US Free-mo specs that you mentioned too (and I was aware of but forgot about), but something that is used in the UK seems more sensible. I'll read your specs later, and have a look at Rod's blog too.

I like their first baseboard.

Looks at the what they're planning...

Oh Wow! How have I missed that!

Yeah, Balcombe/Lewes will be a really cool project if they can pull it off...no reason why not, it's a simple methodology, there's just lots of it to build! B)

If you can make Exeter next year we should have around 90' of modules working with RS Tower to give us almost 120' of layout frontage (although wrapped into a nice compact S shape!) - you'd be very welcome to come and have a look and a chat.

Archived