Model Railroader November 2009

PMP

• RMweb Gold

Clearly your copy has arrived before mine! Arrival's got much worse in recent months - new distributor, I imagine. Implausibly, my copy used to arrive much earlier, despite conveying stickers saying it had been via New Zealand! Now I'm not the brightest, but my limited knowledge of Planet Earth sez that the shortest route from Milwaukee to rural France probably isn't via the Antipodes!

I was informed by my newsagent this morning, that whilst the "Special" Realistic and Reliable track" was recieved by the distributor, they haven't seen the October version of MR and that there isn't one, that it has been replaced by the special - so it looks as though I'm going to miss that one. I've just downloaded the front cover, printed it out and dropped it in to the newsagent! angry.gif

I was informed by my newsagent this morning, that whilst the "Special" Realistic and Reliable track" was recieved by the distributor, they haven't seen the October version of MR and that there isn't one, that it has been replaced by the special - so it looks as though I'm going to miss that one. I've just downloaded the front cover, printed it out and dropped it in to the newsagent! angry.gif

Smiths (Eastbourne at least) always seem to do that - whenever there is a 'Special', they don't get the normal magazine in. A real PITA.

Still, should pick this one up next time I'm in town :thup:

Same in the Smiths here - bit annoying. Would it be worth bombarding head office with emails querying their logic? I could have bought a US copy from Borders for a fiver but by the time I realised Smiths werent getting it in it was too late sad.gif

HI

My News agent did not get a copy of Septembers MR in? So I missed it

The article I wanted to see was ???getting the most from Printed station signs???

MR seems a little bit hit and miss, in getting it down here, in darkest Devon.

Any one got a copy of this as I would like to see it.

Darren

• RMweb Gold

HI

My News agent did not get a copy of Septembers MR in? So I missed it

The article I wanted to see was ???getting the most from Printed station signs???

MR seems a little bit hit and miss, in getting it down here, in darkest Devon.

Any one got a copy of this as I would like to see it.

Darren

I can't find the article you want in the September issue. In the October issue there is "How to detail your station scenes" The bit on station signs basically says Use a word processor or graphics package and print them out.

Tony

Jack, try giving Model Junction a call. They had the Oct issue when I popped in a couple of weeks ago. TBH, you aren't missing much.

• RMweb Gold

In my experience when a 'special' occurs, the next issue of the magazine is late (sometimes very late), but never missing entirely.

In my experience when a 'special' occurs, the next issue of the magazine is late (sometimes very late), but never missing entirely.

yes a bit of a bummer on this one; got fed up waiting for it to arrive in Smiths and splashed out on an American copy from Borders on Saturday; a bit thin but thoroughly enjoyed reading it, then to Smiths on Monday in an unsuccessful hunt for the BRM annual and there was the October issue laughing at me.

yes a bit of a bummer on this one; got fed up waiting for it to arrive in Smiths and splashed out on an American copy from Borders on Saturday; a bit thin but thoroughly enjoyed reading it, then to Smiths on Monday in an unsuccessful hunt for the BRM annual and there was the October issue laughing at me.

Ah, the Law of M'sieu Sod is still in force! - thanks for the advice guys!

Don't if its just me, but MR seems to get less substantial every issue, and even Tony Koester's Trains of Thought (the first article I read after the quick skim)?  seems to be loosing its 'zing' - seriously considering dropping subscription and dipping occasionally.? 

• RMweb Gold

Don't if its just me, but MR seems to get less substantial every issue, and even Tony Koester's Trains of Thought (the first article I read after the quick skim)?  seems to be loosing its 'zing' - seriously considering dropping subscription and dipping occasionally.? 

I have to agree - and my subscription runs 'til 2011! TK has been writing there for more than 20 years, and everyone has only so much inspiration, I suppose. His best column was one of the early ones - Tony's Wiring Tips, in which he revealed his hatred of wiring and soldering beneath the baseboard. It was very funny. The Beer Line series earlier this year was good, but the magazine is not prospering under Besougloff, I fear.

I'm going to throw myself on the me too bandwagon. MR used to be the magazine. Then Craftsman came along for people that actually wanted projects to model instead of layout articles.

I think the future is going to be in the online mags. Model Railroad Hobbiest is the best example out there. I know its apples v oranges with a soft magazine against a physical paper copy but I find MRH is far more innovative and fresh than MR these days.

I'm a little upset too, I received the MR november issue around october 15th and I'm living next door.

Maybe they consider Canada as an oversea country :lol:

The subscriber benefits section should include "You'll receive your copy 2 weeks after the newstand"

Thanks AndrewC for reminding us that there are some free mags around ( I knew about that link )

Some other good US modeling based free mags:

B&O mag

PRR mag

What I consider to be a mag ( in French ), the website is crappy, but if you screen it carefully there are some very interesting articles.

PtitTrain

Is there any UK based modeling free mags ?

Jacques

I have to agree - and my subscription runs 'til 2011! TK has been writing there for more than 20 years, and everyone has only so much inspiration, I suppose. His best column was one of the early ones - Tony's Wiring Tips, in which he revealed his hatred of wiring and soldering beneath the baseboard. It was very funny. The Beer Line series earlier this year was good, but the magazine is not prospering under Besougloff, I fear.

I took a subscription for a while, but realised I was only re-reading the same articles as each sucessive project layout covered the basics over and over again. They do produce a fantastic annual "Great Model Railroads" which is good for showcasing other layouts, as these don't seem to feature as readily in the mag compared to UK publications. They're also a bit "different" to write for as I recently found out, where Continental Modeller would accept photos and text as sent, MR are alot more fastidious in an article meeting their established style.

There is however the odd gem, but i'm usually forewarned by other modellers if there is something of interest to me....

Archived