Dcc controller

Earl Bathurst

• RMweb Premium

Have had a look.

Is it a good system to start off with? or can you sujest any others?

Are you able to use dc locos aswell?

If you type "NCE Powercab" into the RMweb search facility you will see a few topics that may help you to decide if the NCE system suits you. I would also suggest going along to one of the DCC suppliers and try several systems to see which one suits you and which system will allow for expansion in the future.

on the Nce i have read a few articles what do they mean by can only hold stacks of 2?

also i have Bachmann and Hornby chips in locos this system will run them ok with no problems?

On the basic PowerCab you can toggle between only two locos. This does not means that, you can only run two locos -you can run as many as you have power for but, when you call up one of the locos not in the recall stack, any lights or sound operating on that loco will stop and you will have to reactivate them. (Others will no doubt correct me if I have stated that wrongly). I am fortunate in also having ProCab which gives capacity for an additional six locos in recall - very useful but a sizeable additional expense. There should be no problem in running locos with Bachmann or Hornby chips.

On the basic PowerCab you can toggle between only two locos. This does not means that, you can only run two locos -you can run as many as you have power for but, when you call up one of the locos not in the recall stack, any lights or sound operating on that loco will stop and you will have to reactivate them. (Others will no doubt correct me if I have stated that wrongly).

True of older firmware. NCE have since resolved it.

meant to ask. If at a later date i wanted to upgrade to the nce pro from the starter nce, what would be required?

Also whats the difference from the started to the pro nce?

thanks

Check out Bromsgrove Models' web site for all the available components. There is an upgrade path, but this would ultimately be more expensive than buying the full ProCab. It does mean you can buy the full system is smaller, more manageable chunks & you only need to buy the modules you actually want.

The full system supports 6 locos in the recall stack instead of 2, can supply 5 amps of current instead of 2, can cope with more consists & is compatible with more of the slave throttles.

The full system supports 6 locos in the recall stack instead of 2, can supply 5 amps of current instead of 2, can cope with more consists & is compatible with more of the slave throttles.

In addition it also has a programme track output and a built-in computer interface.

meant to ask. If at a later date i wanted to upgrade to the nce pro from the starter nce, what would be required?

All you need to upgrade from a PowerCab to the full NCE PowerPro system, is the PowerHouse system box and a suitable power supply.

The system box contains the Command Station and Power station (Booster), plus the computer interface.

The PowerCab is basically a regular full system handset (ProCab), with a mini Command and Power Station built-in to it.

When you add the PowerHouse full system box, these are basically disabled and become redundant.

An intermediate way to upgrade the PowerCab, is to add a SmartBooster instead.

This provides the 5 amps of the main system, increases the recall stack to 6 locos and allows up to 4 handsets to be used.

thanks for the help.

I think the starter nce is the best one for me at the moment. seems user friendly and easy to use.

so the with the starter nce set u buy, does it have everything to get u up and running? dont need to buy anything else to get u started?

(like some controlers u need to buy the controller then u also have to buy transformers?)

with the starter nce set u buy, does it have everything to get u up and running?

Yes. With the Powercab, you get the throttle itself, 2 leads (1 for the throttle & another for a slave unit), a PCB with all the ports you need to attach 2 throttles, the transformer & an instruction manual.

The transformer itself has a US plug, but some retailers will even provide an adaptor for this too.

You will need some wire to run from the PCB to the track. Chances are you already have some of this though. :)

• RMweb Premium

This question seems to come up every week, I would suggest a search and you will find as many answers as times this topic has been broached. My answer as always is, after deciding what you want to do with your layout go and try some out see which one fits the bill.

Archived