N gauge Peco wagons

upnick

Hi All hope tihs is in the right section,

Looking for a better coupler for my British wagon stock i decided to try microtrains which allow for closer coupling & magnetic uncoupling if desired.

Check if the wagon has two pins with nuts on holding the body on not all wagons have them if so clip them off.

Using a thin screwdriver blade gently prise the body of the wagon from the chassis working around evenly works best take your time, in most cases the body will come away easily.

The metal weight will come away along with the couplers replace the weight with a fish tank flat strip weight later if you wish to use the microtrains uncoupling magnets.

Now using a razor saw cut along each side of the coupling pocket & cut with a knife at the back of the box up to the edge of the hole in the chassis, the two holes have raised surrounds file these flush with the chassis top the picture below shows these items adapted/removed below.

newlocopics135.jpg

Repeat for the opposite end

A piece of 10 thou plasticard is needed to allow the replacement coupler boxes to glue to make it just less than the chassis in length.

Couple of drops of CA holds it in place.

newlocopics142.jpg

The microtrains coupler i used came from a ready assembled truck/bogie.

barberRollerBearing.jpg

Remove the wheels saving them in the spares box & clip away carefully the frame until your left with just the coupler box as below

newlocopics158.jpg

Carefully roughen the top of the box with a file for as a key for glue .... on top of the coupler box there is a small hole which need a tiny piece of tape just enough to cover it to save any glue getting in.

Test fit the box dry to the chassis if your happy everything is square & centrall apply a small drop of CA to the top of the box & attach to the chassis the back edge of the trip pin in line with the front edges of the buffers.

This is a good close coupling measurement for this type of coupler box used although microtrains coupler boxes vary bear in mind.

Before the body is reassembled the two lugs underneath need removing & filing flush at this stage ..... replace the stock weight or use non magnetic type as mentioned before, a drop of CA finishes off the body attachment to the chassis.

newlocopics150.jpg

Both couplers converted & metal wheels added for a little weight & smoother running.

newlocopics117.jpg

Rake of three illustrating close coupling hopefully.

newlocopics133.jpg

The pictures here during the conversion i left one side untouched as this wagon was made up as a converter wagon allowing a standard rapido coupler to be used on a loco at one end, this could be an idea if you dont want to convert your locos couplers.

Many thanks Upnick, this is something i have been considering for a long time since deciding upon my new project.

Also your pictures and instructions are clear to understand, so for me, it's a fool proof guide on how to do conversions.

also do you know where I can obtain these couplings? as i struggled at Warley (although admittedly a case of 'must try harder')

Many thanks,

LT

They are avilable in various places, here is one example.

http://www.kato-unitrack.co.uk/micro-trains-body-mount-couplers-8246-0.html

It is possible to buy the complete couplers (including box) separately without having to cut up a bogie to get it but I cannot remember which product number off the top of my head.

Many thanks to all for your comments :D

Leicester thumper ............ the type i used are roller bearing couplers i bought on ebay USA a while ago it was a lot cheaper to buy them off ebay in the states i bought them in the ten pair packs more economical.:D

Many thanks to all for your comments :D

Leicseter thumper ............ the type i used are roller bearing couplers i bought on ebay USA a while ago it was a lot cheaper to buy them off ebay in the states i bought them in the ten pair packs more economical.:D

Ok thanks chap :D

I will have a hunt on there when my accounts have recovered after the warley wipe out :blink: lol

Archived