Barnham Jc Signal Box

• RMweb Premium

Just seen on the local news that the former signal box at Barnham junction has been badly damaged by fire. Only a year or so ago it was rescued and due to become the club room for a group based in Bognor Regis, so its damage (which by the looks of things is pretty severe) is all the more sad.

Furthermore, the police are treating the blaze as suspicious...:(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-11846868

• RMweb Gold

Just seen on the local news that the former signal box at Barnham junction has been badly damaged by fire. Only a year or so ago it was rescued and due to become the club room for a group based in Bognor Regis, so its damage (which by the looks of things is pretty severe) is all the more sad.

Furthermore, the police are treating the blaze as suspicious...:(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-11846868

The second grim news item I've read in as many minutes. Really sad to see the vandals have been busy again. This was a lovely box, and its rescue after NR made it redundant was a victory for common sense. Vandalism and common sense are opposites, of course. Hope someone has the funds to right the wrong here.

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately where it was put, this was inevitable. What surprises me was that it lasted this long before the local scum bags torched it... There is a persistent minority of morons in Sussex who if it can't be nicked, smoked, snorted or tagged, will simply torch it instead.

Slightly off topic but the name rang a bell...

On holiday last year, I got into conversation with a chap who is modelling Barnham Junction and was looking for pictures/drawings of the goods shed. Even if it's still there, it's not a location he can visit easily - the conversation was in Napier, New Zealand!

Does anyone know where he might get such information?

Phil

• RMweb Premium

He may struggle, the Goods Yard was effectively cleared completely in the 1970's and there are very few if any pictures of the Goods Shed available to my knowledge, even the Middleton Press album covering Barnham is light on pictures of the Yard itself.

The last bits to remain are the two station houses adjacent to what is now the Car Park, a pair of fairly standard LBSC design, plus there was a shed until recently on the site of the old Corral's Coal premises (originally the Bognor Coal & Coke Co premises) but this was demolished a couple of years ago to build yet another of those awful McCarthy & Stone Granny Ghettos retirement apartment developments.

The 'Bay Platform' is still there all be it slightly shortened and now fenced off behind the obligatory spiky top steel fencing but is used for parking on track plant from time to time. There is a picture around somewhere that shows the same bay being occupied by 'Leader' after it had failed... again.

If I remember the Goods Shed in the former coal yard was pretty much a standard design and a smaller version of the impressive one still to be found in Bognor Regis (now owned by Covers timber merchants).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived