Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

One very hoarse, but happy guest supporter for Rotherham.  First time at Wembley and absolutely loved it.  So civilised to have lunch in the adjoining shopping precinct and wander over the road to take our seats 20 minutes before KO.  Hats off to Orient for a great first half and we looked dead and buried, but Alex's second goal was really something special.  Extra time and then penalties.  Couldn't have written a better script.  Shared the train back to High Wycombe with numerous Orient supporters who rued the day they let Alex go on a free transfer.

Brilliant...

Commiserations to andyram and any other Rams' supporters.  Your boys gave a good game, but despite having a man over, ultimately you lacked punch and power.  A bit like the locomotives designed and built at Derby?

Pleased as I am that GPR are now promoted, I still subscribe to the view that the promotion places should be decided over the forty-six games of the regular season, not on a knock-out after its end.  We can now look forward to a struggle for survival next season, probably going right the way through to the end with nerves jangling.

As for Derby, well done Steve McLaren for lifting the club and for being good sports during the presentation.  Perhaps another year to stengthen and regroup might make your entry into the Premiership a little more resilient.

Ironic that the Championship's top scorers could not get a goal when they needed it most. I agree that after such a short turnaround we may have not been ready for the Premier League this time around. I only have to remember the painful experience when Billy Davies completed a similar turnaround of fortunes and won the Play off Final. Hopefully if we can keep our squad together and add Wisdom and Thorne plus one or two others we may have a chance of top two next season and be better equipped. Good luck to QPR next season - you may need to stay up to avoid financial meltdown.

One very hoarse, but happy guest supporter for Rotherham.  First time at Wembley and absolutely loved it.  So civilised to have lunch in the adjoining shopping precinct and wander over the road to take our seats 20 minutes before KO.  Hats off to Orient for a great first half and we looked dead and buried, but Alex's second goal was really something special.  Extra time and then penalties.  Couldn't have written a better script.  Shared the train back to High Wycombe with numerous Orient supporters who rued the day they let Alex go on a free transfer.

Brilliant...

Congratulations to Rotherham. I have relatives living on the outskirts of the city and wanted them to win tomorrow. Pleased for ex Ram Ben Pringle. Great penalty from him, and others too. What an amazing goal from Revell and a cracking game too.

Now can my second team put a smile on my face tomorrow. COME ON YOU BREWERS!!

I haven't watched football for a long time, and when I did the only club I referred to as "us" was Rotherham Harriers, for whom I used to compete. On a free Saturday I enjoyed a good shout from  the Millmoor terraces, however, and now it's a pleasure to see the Millers doing so well - I suppose one never loses one's affection for the footie team of one's boyhood.

• Like 1

So is it only me that has noticed something very strange about this year's three Play Off finals? All three losing sides had their fans at the West End of the ground (the left as you look on tv) and used the West dressing room. In addition not a single goal was scored at this end of the ground apart from the penalties in the Rotherham V Leyton Orient shoot out!

• RMweb Premium

Blimey - no Edinburgh team in the SPL next season.  :O

Yes - there can't be many, if any, countries in Europe where the capital city doesn't have at least one team in their top league.

DT

Yes - there can't be many, if any, countries in Europe where the capital city doesn't have at least one team in their top league.

DT

I could be controversial and suggest that the capital of Wales does not have a team in their top division!!!

"Hull City, Crystal Palace, Leicester City and Burnley set to fight it out for former Arsenal striker if he doesn't get his dream move to Real Madrid" ....... East Grinstead Courier

"B*gg*r Bendtner" as George V may have said - Leicester City should throw in the towel immediately.

Dunno if anyone else saw this, but I saw a stat that read something along the lines of, "The last time that:

Fulham were relegated, 

a team won the FA Cup from 2 goals down,

Athletico Madrid won La Liga and

Real Madrid won the Champions League (or whatever it was called back then)

was the year 1966... "

• Like 1

Dunno if anyone else saw this, but I saw a stat that read something along the lines of, "The last time that:

Fulham were relegated, 

a team won the FA Cup from 2 goals down,

Athletico Madrid won La Liga and

Real Madrid won the Champions League (or whatever it was called back then)

was the year 1966... "

When England had home advantage and at least four "world class" players ...........

England have no chance, even though there were many hints to Roy the silly sod has left Chris Porter at home.

Constant chants of "he's off to Brazil, he's off to Brazil, that boy Chris Porter he's off to Brazil" have fallen on deaf ears

"B " teams rear there ugly head again only good part is that games must be played at main stadiums eg Etihad for citeah not Hyde and gate receipts pooled central to be distributed to the 48 league 1 & 2 teams

tho the prospect of wolves "b" v totenham "b" is never gonna fill wembley  

• RMweb Premium

Now this is something I agree with; but isn't it sad that Hodgeson even has to say this? It should be natural.

One of the accusations levelled against the England team is that they do not play with any passion...they are merely going through the motions caring little their country; yet having this sense of entitlement they should be wearing the shirt. Although angrily denied by the players, it does not help their cause when other teams are singing at the top of their voices, hand on hearts, when their anthem is played. whilst some of the England team just stand there looking gormless. Little things can make a huge difference; and the perception you do actually give a toss about playing for your country does matter.

England are highly unlikely to win the World Cup, but fans will forgive failure if the team play with energy and passion; they fight for every game and show the fans and the country they actually care. Failure, coupled with meek capitulation and pathetic excuses in the aftermath, raises the hackles and results in the booing and intense criticism the team have faced following most of the recent competitions.

I also agree with Roy's sentiments in this matter, but don't forget that Spain managed to win the World Cup without any of their players singing along to the national anthem!

I'm looking forward to the next time England play Liechtenstein, to see the confusion on the England players' faces when the opposition's anthem starts up...

I also agree with Roy's sentiments in this matter, but don't forget that Spain managed to win the World Cup without any of their players singing along to the national anthem!

I'm looking forward to the next time England play Liechtenstein, to see the confusion on the England players' faces when the opposition's anthem starts up...

It will be a first to hear any words to Spain's National Anthem... :D

Edited by mow

• RMweb Gold

Now this is something I agree with; but isn't it sad that Hodgeson even has to say this? It should be natural.

One of the accusations levelled against the England team is that they do not play with any passion...they are merely going through the motions caring little their country; yet having this sense of entitlement they should be wearing the shirt. Although angrily denied by the players, it does not help their cause when other teams are singing at the top of their voices, hand on hearts, when their anthem is played. whilst some of the England team just stand there looking gormless. Little things can make a huge difference; and the perception you do actually give a toss about playing for your country does matter.

England are highly unlikely to win the World Cup, but fans will forgive failure if the team play with energy and passion; they fight for every game and show the fans and the country they actually care. Failure, coupled with meek capitulation and pathetic excuses in the aftermath, raises the hackles and results in the booing and intense criticism the team have faced following most of the recent competitions.

But the other countries have a national anthem. So there is an obvious and direct link between singing the anthem and playing for the country.

We have an anthem about the monarch. They are not playing for her.