The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Gold

Well, despondency all round here!

How Greece couldn't press home their advantage after CRC got a man sent off, I don't know, in the last few minutes of extra time, it should have been all over. From the second half on, Greece played a better game and really attacked, to no avail.

To be fair to Costa Rica, they sure put up a good defence.

Blooming penalties, I've always hated them!

Cheers,

John E,

Surely, now that we have a whole plethora of match stats: possession, time in opposition half, shots on target, shots off target, pass completion, etc, there could  be some system where a drawn match was decided "on points" rather than the dismal lottery of spot kicks. It would encourage more attacking play whereas currently we quite often see a team "shut up shop" during the 30 minutes of extra time in the hope of going through on spot-kicks.

• Like 1

Certain levels of physical contact are, of course, allowed. I am certainly not in favour of the current guidelines which are leading referees to award free kicks, and even issue yellow cards, for tackles that take the ball first.

But any contact, other than shoulder-to-shoulder, which:

1) does not come after contact with the ball;

2) trips up the other player

is a foul and therefore, in this case, a penalty.

You do not need to hack down an attacker. The most subtle of contacts (trip or push) will suffice when the attacker is slightly off-balance. I refereed a game once where I pinged a former professional player for a slight nudge on an attacker. Tony admitted that he had indeed fouled the attacker but that in ten years of doing the same thing in pro football, he had never been blown up for it.

Mexico were a bit unlucky in this case as many similar offences have gone unpunished by the referees. Generally, the standard of refereeing at this World Cup has been dreadful: especially the linesmen.

The 'Playing the man after the ball' thing; surely that guidance came in to stop the challenger playing the man as well as the ball, e.g. the challenger has charged at speed, and his challenge makes sure that his opponent receives the full force of said challenge. 

Well, despondency all round here!

How Greece couldn't press home their advantage after CRC got a man sent off, I don't know, in the last few minutes of extra time, it should have been all over. From the second half on, Greece played a better game and really attacked, to no avail.

To be fair to Costa Rica, they sure put up a good defence.

Blooming penalties, I've always hated them!

Dominated and pressed for 80% of the game, but little effective threat in front of goal, despite playing 10 (physically shattered) men for 55 minutes and putting on 3 strikers. (Fulham were mugged with that Mug they paid a record fee for - Mitroglou.)

Another brilliant display by a goalkeeper too. I can't remember a World Cup with so many fantastic goalkeeping performances.

Does it not say something about Greece that, after Duarte was sent off, they still failed to get past 10 increasingly tired players? I don't know about Greeks bearing gifts, but they certainly looked a gift horse in the mouth. Penalty shootouts are cruel, but they do show that you only need to be unlucky once.

Agreed about hero goalies - expect Navas and Ochoa to be on Premier League / La Liga / Serie A shopping lists. If not now, when? It says here that Navas gave up a promising career as a designer in favour of professional football. It looks like he's been vindicated!

Costa Rica are clearly on a roll, and I do hope that they get past Holland. They deserve nothing less.

Quote of the day:

"I spoke to a Costa Rican journalist who was in tears after the match. He told me he is now changing his flights home for a third time. His newspaper didn't budget for the team getting out of the group."

(BBC Sport's Seth Bennett in Recife)

Edited by Horsetan

....expect Navas and Ochoa to be on Premier League / La Liga / Serie A shopping lists.

Navas already plays in La Liga, for Levante (the other Valencia team) and before that for another La Liga team, Albacete.

On TV they said he's already highly rated in Spain.

Navas already plays in La Liga, for Levante (the other Valencia team) and before that for another La Liga team, Albacete.

On TV they said he's already highly rated in Spain.

I stand corrected. Expect his transfer value to rise sharply, then! :O

• RMweb Gold

Surely, now that we have a whole plethora of match stats: possession, time in opposition half, shots on target, shots off target, pass completion, etc, there could  be some system where a drawn match was decided "on points" rather than the dismal lottery of spot kicks. It would encourage more attacking play whereas currently we quite often see a team "shut up shop" during the 30 minutes of extra time in the hope of going through on spot-kicks.

That is such a good point.

You could also add (takeaway!) factors such as fouls, cards and "simulations".

After all, you wouldn't expect Boxers to have free "slugs" at each other at the end of a drawn fight!

Kev.

• Like 1

But any contact, other than shoulder-to-shoulder, which:

1) does not come after contact with the ball;

2) trips up the other player

is a foul and therefore, in this case, a penalty.

If you watch the replay you can see Robben throwing his arms up and flying into the air. A trip by definition this wasn't!

So - following my own training from a few years back as a referee, I question if that part of the law should have been applied.

Obviously as referees you can only give what you see and the referee in that particular location cannot see Robben throwing himself to the ground as those of us can that saw it on television.

I think it's appalling that we have the video replay for goal line technology but that the officiating bodies take no action on serial divers, who have plagued the game here and on the various continents for some decades now. Robben admitting taking a dive should have a ban applied immediately frankly.

If you watch the replay you can see Robben throwing his arms up and flying into the air. A trip by definition this wasn't!

So - following my own training from a few years back as a referee, I question if that part of the law should have been applied.

Obviously as referees you can only give what you see and the referee in that particular location cannot see Robben throwing himself to the ground as those of us can that saw it on television.

I think it's appalling that we have the video replay for goal line technology but that the officiating bodies take no action on serial divers, who have plagued the game here and on the various continents for some decades now. Robben admitting taking a dive should have a ban applied immediately frankly.

There is so much diving going on as the stakes get higher that I'm surprised they haven't invited Tom Daley to become a professional footballer.

We must also realize that there really is no uniformity in refereeing because each league emphasizes different things. Taking a dive/drama is more acceptable in South America and the southern European leagues while physical contact is not tolerated. In Northern Europe, the style of soccer is more physical (I've seen Premier League games that I swore two players were trading punched all the way down the field) and you are more likely to see a yellow card for taking a dive. Different referees call different games.

• RMweb Gold

We must also realize that there really is no uniformity in refereeing because each league emphasizes different things. Taking a dive/drama is more acceptable in South America and the southern European leagues while physical contact is not tolerated. In Northern Europe, the style of soccer is more physical (I've seen Premier League games that I swore two players were trading punched all the way down the field) and you are more likely to see a yellow card for taking a dive. Different referees call different games.

Very true. But that is why FIFA gets all the refs together before the tournament and issues (publicly) the guidelines that they are to follow.

....Taking a dive/drama is more acceptable in South America and the southern European leagues while physical contact is not tolerated.....

Do you not watch La Liga matches on TV?

They kick lumps out of each other and chip away at ankles far worst than anything you'll see in the EPL.

The refs are fairly strict though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdrqXOHbPfw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNtpl-I1VvA://www.youtube.com

watch?v=mNtpl-I1VvA

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

When the Glasgow Cup was competed for by senior teams, it had to be shoehorned in amongst wider competitions, so replays were not a good thing. In the case of a tie, the number of corners gained was used as a tiebreaker, as a rough indication of attacking play. (I can't remember what the second tie-breaker was, if one was needed.)

• RMweb Premium

Oops...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/28086231

Bearing in mind in the circumstances of the Dutch win, perhaps it was not the most appropriate of tweets. "It was meant to be a joke..." glibly pointed out the KLM spokeswoman. Note to Royal Dutch Airways - stick to what you do best, which clearly ain't humour...

You could allow, say, 10 points for a goal, 2 for hitting the woodwork and 1 for a corner or a direct free kick (at the risk of encouraging more diving). Subtract points for yellow cards.

But my favourite would be to take players off in extra time, at least on an experimental basis. Start extra time with 7-a-side, and if it's still level after, say, 20 minutes, take it down to 4 or even 3-a-side, no offside, and play sudden death. Allow unlimited (quick) substitutions. Maybe have a rule that you have to be in the opponent's penalty area to score.

That way the game would still be decided on goals in open play, which has got to be better than penalties or a points system.

It would certainly help England and some other teams if you allowed points for "wild shots on goal that end up in the crowd".

I can’t help but notice that some people are "painting England whiter than white” - that’s laugh!

I like Costa Rica but I still hope Holland beat them.

Narrowed down to Argentina winning the final, he says, gnashing his teeth....

Best, Pete.

You could allow, say, 10 points for a goal, 2 for hitting the woodwork and 1 for a corner or a direct free kick (at the risk of encouraging more diving). Subtract points for yellow cards.

But my favourite would be to take players off in extra time, at least on an experimental basis. Start extra time with 7-a-side, and if it's still level after, say, 20 minutes, take it down to 4 or even 3-a-side, no offside, and play sudden death. Allow unlimited (quick) substitutions. Maybe have a rule that you have to be in the opponent's penalty area to score.

That way the game would still be decided on goals in open play, which has got to be better than penalties or a points system.

Take out the crossbars and erect another set of posts about level with the penalty box.  Increase the number of players on each side (to allow for sendings off) - eighteen a side ought to do it. Make the pitch a bit bigger to give room for the players - size of a cricket ground maybe.  Change the scoring - six points for a goal (between the middle posts), but only one if it hits the post (scores a behind).  Borrow some cricket umpires in silly white coats and let them wave flags when points are scored.  Start by pitting rival gangs of ruffians against each other.

No, it'll never catch on.

(Go Hawthorn!)

• Like 2

Well Algeria really put up a great fight. Some plucky and skilful midfield play and some tremendous defending, until they were tired and caught out at the death.

What a shame they couldn't convert one or two of their chances, particularly in the first half when they had Germany's midfield and defence panicking at times.

I wasn't sure I really wanted to watch this match, as I thought it would be a boring certainty that Germany would win.

I'm glad I did though. What a cracking game.

Algeria should be proud of themselves.

A proper ding-###### for the start of Ramadan!

Edit: Strange to relate that the Vietnamese unit of currency is a proscribed word, or indeed Edward Lear's luminous-nosed character.

Edited by EddieB

• RMweb Premium

I see that Suarez has belatedly admitted biting the Italian. I wonder if that was anything to do with Liverpool pointing out some obscure fine print in his contract, to his agent?

Do you not watch La Liga matches on TV?

They kick lumps out of each other and chip away at ankles far worst than anything you'll see in the EPL.

The refs are fairly strict though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdrqXOHbPfw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNtpl-I1VvA://www.youtube.com

watch?v=mNtpl-I1VvA

My apologies. I meant to say not as as accepted instead of tolerated. You're more likely to be yellow carded for physical contact in the southern European leagues than in the more northern leagues.