The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Brazil are embarrassing tonight. I've seen Sunday League pub teams with better organised defences. Shocking....

I wonder what Ray Winstone's half-time "Bet in Play Now" punt is tonight? Brazil to keep a clean sheet in the second half perhaps....

Edited by cary hill

Cannot believe what I am seeing tonight, Brazil 5 nil down in 30 minutes, Scotland have to play this lot in the European qualifiers, god help us!!

Jim

O ye of little faith!

• RMweb Gold
.......Schadenfreude?!......... to their credit the German team were very magnanimous.

Deutschland gehen!   :O 

I will be supporting them against Argentina......assuming of course that they win tonight!

...Now a Netherlands v Germany final.....................now who would have thought that that might be possible?

• RMweb Premium

I think it was pretty clear from the start Brazil weren't the team everyone thought they were. Mexico showed that a determined, well organised side could challenge them. They were lucky to escape the group and then again in the early knock out stages. They have two world class players in Neymar and Tiago Silver, the rest aren't. The former was injured and the latter yellow carded as he "took one for the team" in the previous match, because his defence didn't do it's job. Germany played as a team, pressed and worked for each other. I said to SWMBO when the first goal went in "this could get embarrassing" and it did.

I'm sorry for the Brazilian fans, but I think the hype got to many of them, and they expected their team to come through whatever. As a tournament it's broken several records, and should Holland prevail tonight, a team from outside S.America winning in that continent, a first too.

Rob

Edited by mezzoman253
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I was only half-watching the screen. Kept thinking that BBC were doing a replay - only to find that it was another goal. Other than at school level (once saw a 23-0), I don't think I have ever seen 4 goals scored in such a short space of time.

David Luiz, a £50m defender? PSG should cancel their cheque. It has been obvious from the start of tournament that Brazil's defence was shaky but that was ridiculous. I was a very poor central defender but at least I would have kept close enough to the attacker not to give him a free shot/header.

Scolari seemed very warm and generous in his congratulations to the German players. Brazil fans also very decent about it all.

It could get a lot worse for Brazil. They still have the 3rd place game to play. If they get thumped in that match by Argentina......... 

I don't think either Holland or Argentina will be quaking at the prospect of facing Germany.  Remember that this is the same Germany that needed extra time to see off Algeria in the second round and only managed a 1-0 victory over a French side that lacked the va-va-voom to throw everything back at them in the closing minutes.

No, last night showed the inadequacies of a Brazil side lacking their two best players.  It seems that Scolari still picks his favourites rather than the best players available (can you honestly tell me that Brazil have no better footballers than Fred and Hulk?) and lacks the tactical nous to drill discipline and order into his teams.  It's a credit to Neymar and Silva that Brazil achieved so much in this tournament while carrying so many passengers.

This result is going to hurt Brazil far, far more than losing to Uruguay in the last match of the 1950 World Cup.  That was followed by a root and branch reform, out of which came not just the famous yellow and blue strip, but some of the greatest teams the world has ever seen.

Ironically, it is those who weren't able to play yesterday - Tiago Silva and Neymar - who can form the nucleus of a new Brazilian team.  Apart from (perhaps, given time) Oscar, I don't think any of the rest of the squad are fit to pull on the yellow jersey again.  Every fan of football wants Brazil to be a great team again.  And all credit to Germany for not sitting back on a modest lead, but for continuing to take the game to Brazil right until the end.

PS.  I'm no gambler, but I bet Brazil can bounce back more quickly and strongly than England, while we continue to kid ourselves that we're really not that bad after all.