The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

I seem to recollect going to a League 1 game, or what ever it was called in 1993, between Birmingham and Swindon. I only went to watch as Glenn Hoddle was player manager of Swindon. If my memory serves me well Brum went 4 - 1 up and Swindon came back to win 6 - 4. Quite a coincidence, as Radio 5 were reporting that night that it hadn't happened before. I'm sure some Brummy or Swindon fan out there will correct me if i'm wrong.

I followed Ipswich Town in the late 70's and went to most home games. Man Utd came there and lost 6-0. Great result and perhaps nothing unusual in that, but Ipswich missed three penalties, all saved by Gary Bailey....

Can't believe that Liverpool lost and are a far cry from the feared Reds of old...

I saw the Liverpool v Blackpool game on telly. One team looked like they thought they should win, the other team worked damned hard to achieve a win. :D

No team has a divine right to be in the top flight, though Arsenal have come close. I well remember we thought that about the all conquering Leeds side of Don Revie. Perhaps the occasional drop into the Championship helps teams to get a reality check. It never did the likes of Barnsley, Oldham, Charlton, Southampton, and Swindon any harm did it?

Geoff.

• Like 1

No team has a divine right to be in the top flight, though Arsenal have come close.

That club has no right, particularly as they bribed their way into the top flight of football. The woolwich wanderers have never had any class or humility, and are one of the most despised clubs in the country. How you say such a thing is beyond me .....

• Like 1

That club has no right, particularly as they bribed their way into the top flight of football. The woolwich wanderers have never had any class or humility, and are one of the most despised clubs in the country. How you say such a thing is beyond me .....

Yep !! The best team from South London i say.

I'm not getting involved with all this London parochialism :D

Liverpool, though? Well if Blackpool are to stay up, they've got to beat those clubs in and around them, and that's what they managed yesterday.:D

You know that thing the pundits are always banging on about a team 'too good to go down', wonder if that could be Liverpool?

I do hope so.......................:)

I saw the Liverpool v Blackpool game on telly. One team looked like they thought they should win, the other team worked damned hard to achieve a win. :D

No team has a divine right to be in the top flight, though Arsenal have come close. I well remember we thought that about the all conquering Leeds side of Don Revie. Perhaps the occasional drop into the Championship helps teams to get a reality check. It never did the likes of Barnsley, Oldham, Charlton, Southampton, and Swindon any harm did it?

Geoff.

I was basing my tongue in cheek comment on the fact that Arsenal are the only team to have been in the top flight without a break since before the World War Two, at least. Speaking of which, is everyone aware that during the War the FA Cup still operated, though teams often contained players from other clubs who were in the forces and stationed near to their 'new' club. Because of this the wartime cup winners are not credited with the wins. Arsenal and Blackpool reached the FA Cup final early in the War and the Arsenal were so confident of winning that they had their team photo with the FA Cup taken before the game, while their strip was still clean. Blackpool won. :lol:

Geoff.

• RMweb Premium

I was basing my tongue in cheek comment on the fact that Arsenal are the only team to have been in the top flight without a break since before the World War Two, at least. Speaking of which, is everyone aware that during the War the FA Cup still operated, though teams often contained players from other clubs who were in the forces and stationed near to their 'new' club. Because of this the wartime cup winners are not credited with the wins. Arsenal and Blackpool reached the FA Cup final early in the War and the Arsenal were so confident of winning that they had their team photo with the FA Cup taken before the game, while their strip was still clean. Blackpool won. :lol:

Geoff.

Which is why the record for the number of consecutive years the FA cup was held for still belongs to the mighty Pompey :D

Yes, despised for being - what, successful? :rolleyes:

As opposed to Chelsea, with their millions, buying up every young player in the land to scuttle other teams (I'm not bitter about Scott Parker at all...), or West Ham with their similar bully-boy tactics (Jermain Defoe anyone...), Millwall for their general thuggery, and let's not forget Crystal Palace who nearly ran us out of existence when we were already groundless... :rolleyes:

I've more time for Arsenal than most of the London clubs, but I'll tell you what I know to be true. The only team I have any time for, that's London, other than my own, is Fulham. Never heard a bad word out of a Fulham fan, and that club's never done anything wrong in my book. Even their football speaks volumes. Probably the least hated of the London clubs, anyway, aside from my own (Charlton) - but for entirely different reasons. Nobody hates us, because nobody remembers us! :lol:

As a liverpool fan living in blackpool (well fleetwood) I was gutted about the result but if that turns out to be the 3 points that keep blackpool up I can live with that!

Incidentally to all those gloating about liverpools demise don't forget things have a habit of turning round and biting you on the bum! (I should know being a liverpool fan)!

mark

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if I am the only life long Stoke City fan on the forum, but I just wanted to say that I am enjoying their current turnaround from the start of the season...long may it continue :D

No, Not the success, But for many years going back, for playing boreing, negative football ( how did their chant go : 1 nil to the ar sen al ) and in later years for their truly talented, and probably the best manager in the world BUT such a bad loser. If any team should dare beat his Arsenal then they were either Lucky, Rough or the officials were bent Never any credit to the other side. He also needed to go to spec savers NEVER seeing his own teams dirty tackles ( Approx 40 sent off in his reign so far ) but spotting a foul against 2 miles away in the fog.

As for Fulham though, Yep a good respected club that always plays good football, But then they havn't won much so not upset many people.

No, Not the success, But for many years going back, for playing boreing, negative football ( how did their chant go : 1 nil to the ar sen al ) and in later years for their truly talented, and probably the best manager in the world BUT such a bad loser. If any team should dare beat his Arsenal then they were either Lucky, Rough or the officials were bent Never any credit to the other side. He also needed to go to spec savers NEVER seeing his own teams dirty tackles ( Approx 40 sent off in his reign so far ) but spotting a foul against 2 miles away in the fog.

Got to disagree with you there. Boring, negative it may have been at Arsenal, and Wenger is definitely no angel - but the worst bad loser is Sir Alex Ferguson.

I'll never forget his post match interview after the Charlton 3 - 3 Manchester United match of 1998/99 - they were 3-1 up with ten minutes to go, and John Robinson nabbed the equaliser in the last minute of normal time. The way he talked then, we'd had the referee, linesman, the fourth official, the FA and half the Red Arrows fighting on our side :rolleyes:

Got to disagree with you there. Boring, negative it may have been at Arsenal, and Wenger is definitely no angel - but the worst bad loser is Sir Alex Ferguson.

I'll never forget his post match interview after the Charlton 3 - 3 Manchester United match of 1998/99 - they were 3-1 up with ten minutes to go, and John Robinson nabbed the equaliser in the last minute of normal time. The way he talked then, we'd had the referee, linesman, the fourth official, the FA and half the Red Arrows fighting on our side :rolleyes:

Yes Sir Alex is a good mind games expert, Perhaps thats whats needed to get results. I do hope not. Bring back Mourinho and lets hope Holloway stays up with Blackpool, now THATS entertainment.:rolleyes:

As a liverpool fan living in blackpool (well fleetwood) I was gutted about the result but if that turns out to be the 3 points that keep blackpool up I can live with that!

Incidentally to all those gloating about liverpools demise don't forget things have a habit of turning round and biting you on the bum! (I should know being a liverpool fan)!

mark

Try being a Spurs or West Ham fan, we've lumps missing out of our bums.

Can't agree with that, Ferguson is a winner without doubt, but is often maganimous in defeat, unlike Monsieur Myopic down at the library. 'Pizzagate' at Old Trafford, yeah that really was amongst Arsenals finest hour. (Plenty more instances as well, if you'd like them)

Oooh, let me think ..... because they are a soulless club with limited history; because of the arrogance they display at every opportunity; because of the thuggish football that their current manager has inflicted on the premier league without any acknowledgement or remorse; because of the years of Adams and Bould standing with their arms in the air, togerther with the glory days of chasing one nil victories; because they relocated from south of the river into another clubs territory (and were quick to pay off the right leage officials); because they refer to themselves as THE arsen*l (oh the arrogance); because of the lack of british talent that the club has developed (cheap french imports anyone?); because they think they are the pride of north london ..... do I need to go on?

COYS.

Can't agree with that, Ferguson is a winner without doubt, but is often maganimous in defeat, unlike Monsieur Myopic down at the library. 'Pizzagate' at Old Trafford, yeah that really was amongst Arsenals finest hour. (Plenty more instances as well, if you'd like them)

We'll agree to disagree then, though noting your username I'd be insulted if you didn't try defending your nearest and dearest! ;) :lol:

Oooh, let me think ..... because they are a soulless club with limited history; because of the arrogance they display at every opportunity; because of the thuggish football that their current manager has inflicted on the premier league without any acknowledgement or remorse; because of the years of Adams and Bould standing with their arms in the air, togerther with the glory days of chasing one nil victories; because they relocated from south of the river into another clubs territory (and were quick to pay off the right leage officials); because they refer to themselves as THE arsen*l (oh the arrogance); because of the lack of british talent that the club has developed (cheap french imports anyone?); because they think they are the pride of north london ..... do I need to go on?

COYS.

You a Spurs fan? I don't think anyone could describe Arsenal as having "limited history". I note with some amusement the "foreign players" card - every football club prefers to get players from abroad, Arsenal were just the first to flirt with it.

There's plenty of football clubs with arrogance, Arsenal are not the only ones nor is the amount of arrogance limited to them. Every London club (mine included) has the propensity to think we have a right to win more than most, and we're quite happy to bitch about every other London club whilst not being able to keep things at home in order...

But I digress. I'd prefer to watch Arsenal than most other clubs any day of the week - Wenger still finds a way, whether it's in the football or not, to make watch them compelling and entertaining...!

We'll agree to disagree then, though noting your username I'd be insulted if you didn't try defending your nearest and dearest! ;) :lol:

You a Spurs fan? I don't think anyone could describe Arsenal as having "limited history". I note with some amusement the "foreign players" card - every football club prefers to get players from abroad, Arsenal were just the first to flirt with it.

There's plenty of football clubs with arrogance, Arsenal are not the only ones nor is the amount of arrogance limited to them. Every London club (mine included) has the propensity to think we have a right to win more than most, and we're quite happy to bitch about every other London club whilst not being able to keep things at home in order...

But I digress. I'd prefer to watch Arsenal than most other clubs any day of the week - Wenger still finds a way, whether it's in the football or not, to make watch them compelling and entertaining...!

I'd rather watch Spurs than Arsenal, any day of the week, for all Arsenals supposed brilliance, what do they win? Not a lot, their last trophy was a case of anti football, since then, nowt.

Every football club does not prefer foreign imports, Arsenal do, United will pretty much always have a nucleus of local lads, they may not all make it but some will, they never seemingly get the chance at Arsenal.

Oh, first foreign imports, that'd be Accrington Stanley!

Anyway, all you cockneys haven't got a clue, Football's heartland, Manchester and Merseyside, probably more honours than the rest of the country put together,

Lancashire 8 European Cups London 0

Lancashire 54 League titles London 19, 'nuff said :D :D :D

Lancashire 8 European Cups London 0

Lancashire 48 League titles London 19, 'nuff said :D :D :D

Cant argue with those facts, just surprised to see a United fan including Liverpools achievements, i thought they were the enemy. Nothing like a bit of North / South divide to bring the northeners together. :D

Bah! Northerners! What do you know! :P

(Quite a lot actually, and some fair points there with regards stats. Problem is, football is subjective at its very heart - I liked watching Thierry Henry, my spurs mate preferred watching Cantona, I liked Ruud van Nistelrooy, my friend likes Berbatov...)

Dunno what matches you've all been watching, but I thoroughly enjoyed watching Charlton win 2-1 from being 1-0 down at MK Dons today...nothing like beating old Wimbledon for a few cheers and huzzahs! :lol:

b

Cant argue with those facts, just surprised to see a United fan including Liverpools achievements, i thought they were the enemy. Nothing like a bit of North / South divide to bring the northeners together. :D

Aye, if city weren't so inept, we'd batter you on our own, still,

M/cr 3 European cups London 0

M/cr 20 League titles London 19,

so if our sky blue neighours get their finger out, I'll not have to even bother with those clubs at the wrong end of the '62 :D