The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Yes, but if you asked the 5 delegates what happened, they would all say "But I did vote for you, where do you think the 2nd vote came from"? Since its a secret ballot, prove it one way or another.

Except that it seems to be accepted now that it was Cameroon that voted for us. Not sure how it's known, but I've heard at least 2 different media networks claim this.

The good news, at least, is that the FA don't have to spend the next 8 years kow-towing to the self-appointed, unaccountable demi-gods (or so they think) at FIFA.

It's almost a relief in a way that England only got one vote (plus our own, of course). A narrow defeat would have made any loss hard to bear, and it would be easy to try to find scapegoats, whether it be Triesman, the Times or BBC's Panorama, and sour grapes would have been the order of the day. None of these things helped the cause, naturally, but the events of the other day simply demonstrate that the FIFA voting process is slightly less fair than the Eurovision Song Contest.

To sum up part of what Sepp Blatter said: "the England bid was great, but we must all learn how to lose". It was a stitch-up from the start, and if any more evidence were needed that the decision was not based on footballing criteria, I give you Qatar 2022. Today's Football Focus was reporting that FIFA are now considering holding that event in January - joke.

My two'penneth worth on the Wordl Cup debacle is simple 'Stitchup', we were never going to get it. When are we, as a nation, going to realise that we are just as hated as the USA and IMHO are always going to be treated as such politically.

I do agree with the Bid Team though, in that FIFA should have made things clear at the start of the process, that they want to take the World Cup to 'developing' countries, (I put that in brackets, because that is what Blatter said, I know Russia is hardly a developing country, but it is in terms of football), then we wouldn't have wasted £15Million on a bid that was doomed from the start.

Oh and while you're all digesting my latest diatribe, have a go at this http://www.threematchban.com/quiz/gj I got 22 out of 33 on the first pass, but am now stuck on a few.

Regards

Neal.

Guest dilbert

My two'penneth worth on the Wordl Cup debacle is simple 'Stitchup', we were never going to get it. When are we, as a nation, going to realise that we are just as hated as the USA and IMHO are always going to be treated as such politically.

So how did the Olympic games end up in London in 2012 ? Luck ? Backhanders ? May be a more savvy bid management team (and lack of sarky comments on other nations bids) or a big UK love-in fest? ...dilbert

Chris Hughton has been sacked by Newcastle United.

Absolutely ridiculous decision, a young manager has got you through a huge upheaval with no money, stabilised them in the PL, has a win percentage of over 55% and you sack him.

Mike Ashley, you are an idiot.

Chris Hughton has been sacked by Newcastle United.

Absolutely ridiculous decision, a young manager has got you through a huge upheaval with no money, stabilised them in the PL, has a win percentage of over 55% and you sack him.

Mike Ashley, you are an idiot.

I have a group of friends I watch the football with - and one long time running joke is the "self destruct button" in the centre of St. James' Park.

It doesn't seem to be quite too far away from reality. I cannot understand, how after a draw with Chelsea, a win against Arsenal, 11th in the League (very respectable given the league's quality and competitiveness at present), and bringing them up against all odds.

Chris Hughton is a gentleman, with great tact and a great passion for football. How he has been sacked is beyond me.

But then, this is the club who sacked Bobby Robson...

• RMweb Gold
has a win percentage of over 55%

I wonder how that compares with the other 'big names' that they have had recently. Quite favourably I would guess.

I seem to recall that it's not the first time he has been kicked in the teeth by the club and as a gentleman will no doubt keep his own counsel but he really must be wondering what he has to do to succeed. He did a great job for them and now this.

A very strange decision, does Mike Ashley actualy think that a 'top' manager is actualy going to go there ? No Money to spend, an average squad, just about good enough to stay up. I dont think so. Unless he's already got someone waiting. Hold your head up Chris, you did a great job, as you always did in your time at Spurs.

Hmmm. Says here that Malcolm McDonald has been appointed to replace Chris Hughton.

Peter Beardsley has apparently taken on the mantle for now.

So who will go there on a permanent basis? Diego Maradona is jobless and mad, so maybe he's up for it.

On a serious note, I see Martin Jol has just resigned from Ajax, so let me be the first to put two and two together and predict him as next Toon boss!

• RMweb Premium

Oh and while you're all digesting my latest diatribe, have a go at this http://www.threematchban.com/quiz/gj I got 22 out of 33 on the first pass, but am now stuck on a few.

Regards

Neal.

Nice little quiz that Neal. Eventually got all 33 with a little help from the interweb.

Rob

Realy Happy tonight, Spurs finishing top of Group A setting a record of scoring at least twice in every group match, 18 goals scored in 6 games the highest so far, and will be the most as long as my arch rivals from the Library dont score 4 tomorrow. Thought we were a bit sloppy tonight, good job we didn't need a win. And what was the Leyton Orient V Droylsdon score all about ? 2 - 2 at Full time. 8 - 2 After extra time. some game that ey !!! :P

• RMweb Premium

Back to the Newcastle saga... News is that a new manager will be appointed by the weekend, and it looks like Pardew is favourite.

Question is, will this appease the Newcastle fans...somehow I doubt it. Had someone like Martin Jol been appointed, or for that matter O'Neill, the response may have been a little different...but I doubt any manager would have wanted to go near this mess. Is Pardew going to do any better than Hughton given the resources he has to play with?

In Pardew's defence, he was given mission impossible last season at Southampton, and nearly pulled it off - picking up the JP trophy on the way. Slightly indifferent start to this season, but still only about 4 points of the play-off positions. He gets the sack, and they go on a five-game loosing streak without even scoring a goal.

What is interesting is that there seems to be a certain type of manager that is attracted by basket cases*; Avram Grant (Chelsea, Portsmouth; West Ham), Paul Hart (Portsmouth; QPR (at the time); Palace), George Burley (Hearts; Palace). If appointed, we can now add Pardew to this (Southampton; Newcastle). In fact I'm suprise that Paul Hart was not installed as favourite long ago!

I alluded to this last season, that Newcastle were in danger of taking Pompey's crown as the wack-job of football... Congratulations...mission accomplished.

* Teams which may not do so badly off the pitch, but have a very good habit of pressing the self-destruct button from a boardroom level.

• Like 1

Yes, Strong rumour from the BBC that Pardew will take over before the weekend. Nice bloke, BUT what can he offer that Houghton couldn't ? Looks like another fine mess to me.

Pardew is in theory a good manager. But on at least two occasions, he's been sacked for in-fighting (West Ham followed by Charlton), as opposed the football on the pitch being of poor quality. Southampton sacking Pardew came out of the blue, and it's doing the rounds on 606 that his sacking there was for a similar incident.

I honestly can't see why Pardew - who is a proven commodity, lacking in quality of management at times, would be a better appointment than Hughton - who has brought the team up from the depths of despair, into the mid table of the Premier League. I honestly believe stability is what a club needs more than anything to get going after periods of poor form, so for the life of me I can't understand Newcastle United's thinking here.

As for who else, other than Pardew - Curbishley springs to mind, because he did at least keep Charlton, and then West Ham, up, and had both clubs fighting for mid table Premier League football the whole of his time with them.

But it looks dead set to be Pardew at time of writing, if the BBC is anything to go by...!

Question is, will this appease the Newcastle fans...somehow I doubt it. Had someone like Martin Jol been appointed, or for that matter O'Neill, the response may have been a little different...but I doubt any manager would have wanted to go near this mess. Is Pardew going to do any better than Hughton given the resources he has to play with?

I feel sorry for the Newcastle fans in that they are only going to be getting a 'yes man' going there. There was no way that Martin O'Neill would have touched Newcastle with the longest barge pole you could think of.

O'Neill is too much his own man, he will not have anyone telling him how to run the Footballing side of the club, and so this latest fad of having a 'Director of Football' running the shop would put O'Neill off right from the start.

You could see that at Leicester, when he was here, he basically stood up to the Board and told them straight, "You let me get on with the job of running the Team or I'm off" and they did, and look what happened to us, then we hit the self-destruct button as you so eloquently put it. :D :D

We Football Fans all think we can do better than the Manager or Chairman, but sometimes just being a passionate fan of your team is not good enough, that numpty Mike Ashley is a Newcastle fan through and through, there's no denying that, but sometimes that just isn't enough, you still need some nounce of footballing intelligence, yes bankroll the Club, but keep your nose out of the Footballing side of the Club and let the Manager manage.

Now was this a footballing decision or a financial decision??? I honestly can't see it being a Footballing decision, just look at where they are, 12th in the Premiership, no chance of being relegated, back up from the Championship at the first attempt (no easy feat, I speak from experience :P :P )

Anyway, enough of my ramblings, good luck to Pardew and Hughton, but I stick by my thoughts of this being a ridiculous decision by Ashley/Newcastle.

Regards

Neal.

• RMweb Gold
only 2% of Newcastle fans chose him in a recent poll by a Newcastle paper.

Ah, but he said at his press conference that Newcastle is one of the top five clubs in the country. They will be 100% behind him now. :rolleyes:

Ah, but he said at his press conference that Newcastle is one of the top five clubs in the country. They will be 100% behind him now. :rolleyes:

I Dont think they'll fall for that for very long, He will have to come up with something better like top 5 in Europe.. If they lose to Liverpool....:lol: