The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Hey guys and gals, the most anticipated weekend of the football calendar is upon us this weekend.

Putting all league form aside, its your chance to forget about how bad your team is doing in the league and look forward to a potential run at the cup! (ok I can say that being a slightly disappointed Baggie!).

Some interesting fixtures for the weekend. Banana skins for our good selves (away at Reading) and a few other Premier League sides. I hope we don't crash out.

And then there's the Last Bastion for Hodgson on Sunday, and Ericsson's stab against his old employers. Both games will end up in results that favour Mancunia I suspect.;)

OK you can do my football pools next week. Spot on with the Baggies. And no last bastion for Hodgson. He left under mutual consent { in other words sacked }. But can Dalglish motivate that mob anymore than Hodgson could. ?

OK you can do my football pools next week. Spot on with the Baggies. And no last bastion for Hodgson. He left under mutual consent { in other words sacked }. But can Dalglish motivate that mob anymore than Hodgson could. ?

Yep we're having trouble lifting ourselves. Blackpool at home next weekend and I'm going up to it!

I got Burton's shock result right but I didn't predict Dover or QPR's results correctly! Good job no money went down eh!

Alex

• RMweb Premium

I'm not convinced that Dalglish is the right man for the job. It has been a long time since he was in management; and his last two roles at Newcastle and as Director of Football at Celtic did not go well - okay, Celtic was a disaster. The fan's chants of 'Dalglish In!' was probably more a disguised 'Hodgson Out!' than any desperate plea to get Kenny back as manager.

On a different note, I see that Pompey's FA cup involvement has come to an early demise at the hands of Brighton. I also see that we fielded a full-strength team, so am a little concerned as we seem to be falling back into yet another bad run of form...:(

• RMweb Premium

Great result for Crawley Town tonight, winning 2-1 at home to Derby County. I happen to work in Crawley, so wouldl imagine that the town will be buzzing tomorrow. :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/fa_cup/9341733.stm

Oddly enough, there was a quiet feeling of optimism over this result...one of those nasty banana skins that Derby would not have been looking forward to.

• Like 1

And then there's the Last Bastion for Hodgson on Sunday, and Ericsson's stab against his old employers. Both games will end up in results that favour Mancunia I suspect.;)

Erm not quite :D :D :D

What a great performance by the Mighty Foxes!!! But I can't quite see us pulling it off at Eastlands though, considering our awful away form. But we've signed Yakubu on loan until the end of the season, with a view to a permanent deal in the summer if we get promoted, and he's available for the Replay.

Actually the game was interesting for a number of reasons:

1. Eriksson used to manage Man City

2. Mancini used to play for Eriksson at Sampdoria and Lazio

3. Mancini played for Leicester, albeit 4 games.

4. If Leicester win, the next game is at Notts County, where I believe Eriksson is still held in high esteem.

5. Oh and we haven't beaten Man City in the FA cup for god knows how long.

Also, I think they'll be better prepared for Sol Bamba next week as well.

Anyway, Up the Foxes.

Regards

Neal.

• Like 1

happiest and proudest Ive been in ages, my hero is back, just hearing him in press conferences, he's fantastic, such a great motivator,speaker all round manager.

for those who forgot how great this man was or are too young to have seen him, as a player and a manager, you'll soon be reminded,

107956509.jpg

incaseof.jpg

1726302801.jpg

Mike

Great result for Crawley Town tonight, winning 2-1 at home to Derby County. I happen to work in Crawley, so would imagine that the town will be buzzing tomorrow. :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/fa_cup/9341733.stm

With players named Torres and McAllister in the team, they did have a bit of an advantage! :lol:

Also joining the traditional giant-killing season was Stevenage. They played a blinder to dump Newcastle out of the FA Cup.

happiest and proudest Ive been in ages, my hero is back, just hearing him in press conferences, he's fantastic, such a great motivator,speaker all round manager.

for those who forgot how great this man was or are too young to have seen him, as a player and a manager, you'll soon be reminded

Mike

Aye, he's made a great difference so far, might just be a case of 'Shearer syndrome' methinks.

Perhaps, too long out of management, Steve Clarke is a good appointment though.

I do think it's showing the poor squad (for a team like Liverpool) that Benitez left them with (1 recognised centre forward????) and it seems that he could do no wrong with a large section of the Liverpool support.

I also remember the kop reminding us about a certain 26 year wait, tell you what, I have a feeling that it might be longer than that for Liverpool's next title.

When does the "Liverpool Messiah" start his job then? Out of the F.A. Cup and comprehensively beaten by the least "expensive" team in the Premiership tonight , who apparently achieved their first double over Liverpool since 1946/47.

He'll need to be quite an alchemist to turn that heap of base metal called Liverpool F C into even an average Premiership team - they can't defend, they can't create, they have no pace or width, play aimless long balls and rely too heavily on Captain Foolish and a moody, lazy Spanish striker with an apparently permanently bruised ego.

Not that much to work with and, as a neutral, I hope Liverpool don't get into that mindset of "we're too good/big to go down", because could still happen, unless the wreckage left behind by Benitez can be fixed quickly.

whilst disapointed with the result and performance, nice goal by torres, its still very early days.

appointment of Steve Clark is a good one I think.

side needs strengthening

and as Bob Paisley once said, the games not about managers really, its about players.

where told he couldnt look at any players until after the blackpool game as there hasnt been time, see what happens soon

• RMweb Premium

I take it you approve of Chris Powell being the likely new boss of Charlton then...:biggrin_mini:

Personally I think this is a good appointment. He has coaching experience with Leicester, as well as a very short stint as caretaker manager, and obviously knows Charlton. I rated him as a player for his intelligent play and presence on the field, and I think he has the aptitude to make a decent manager. All managers need to start somewhere, and a club where he is known and respected as a player by the fans is a good place to start.

I wish both him, and you guys luck...but then again, I'm hoping it will be a south coast hat-trick of promotions to the Championship where we can then look forward to some very tasty derbies next season! ;)

• Like 1

I take it you approve of Chris Powell being the likely new boss of Charlton then...:biggrin_mini:

Two years ago I put up a petition on the government website for him to get an OBE - sadly they declined. I have an incredible respect for Chris Powell, he is without a doubt the greatest footballer Charlton have ever had (and I say this, not just on the basis of his footballing ability, but by his personality and kindness behind the scenes - he would never say no to anyone for the community work and his love for helping people worse off than himself is clear).

Personally I think this is a good appointment. He has coaching experience with Leicester, as well as a very short stint as caretaker manager, and obviously knows Charlton. I rated him as a player for his intelligent play and presence on the field, and I think he has the aptitude to make a decent manager. All managers need to start somewhere, and a club where he is known and respected as a player by the fans is a good place to start.

I'm absolutely thrilled, and I sincerely hope he becomes our next "Curbs" or better. :)

I wish both him, and you guys luck...but then again, I'm hoping it will be a south coast hat-trick of promotions to the Championship where we can then look forward to some very tasty derbies next season! ;)

Thank you kindly. Here's to Chrissy Powell - he's coming home! :D

THERE'S ONLY ONE CHRIS POWELL! THERE'S ONLY ONE CHRIS POWELL! THERE'S ONLY ONE CHRIS POWELL...

CHRIS POWELL! :D

DAMN!!!! DAMN!!!! DAMN!!!!

Didn't want him to go, he's been a brilliant Coach for Leicester. I know he didn't go for Pardews assistant at Newcastle and we all hoped that the Sven factor might keep him at the Walkers, I thought he might have stayed and learned management under Sven, but I suppose the draw of Charlton was too much for him. I believe you've got a good'un there and the potential to be a great manager.

Here's Svens reaction http://www.thebluearmy.co.uk/news/powell-set-charlton-talks/article-3099979-detail/article.html

He will go with the thanks and admiration of thousands of Leicester City supporters ringing in his ears.

Good Luck Chris and I hope you get promotion, but only when we've gone up B) B)

Regards

Neal.

UP THE FOXES

• Like 1

DAMN!!!! DAMN!!!! DAMN!!!!

Didn't want him to go, he's been a brilliant Coach for Leicester. I know he didn't go for Pardews assistant at Newcastle and we all hoped that the Sven factor might keep him at the Walkers, I thought he might have stayed and learned management under Sven, but I suppose the draw of Charlton was too much for him. I believe you've got a good'un there and the potential to be a great manager.

Here's Svens reaction http://www.thebluearmy.co.uk/news/powell-set-charlton-talks/article-3099979-detail/article.html

He will go with the thanks and admiration of thousands of Leicester City supporters ringing in his ears.

Good Luck Chris and I hope you get promotion, but only when we've gone up B) B)

Regards

Neal.

UP THE FOXES

No - thank you Foxes, for helping mould Chris Powell into the respected coach he has become today.

Here's hoping we get to meet soon on the pitch, and have a homecoming for Chris Powell at the Walker's Stadium :)

• RMweb Premium

According to the news this morning it looks like Grant is finally on his way from West Ham, to be replaced by Martin O'Neill (despite the latter's recent denials).

Bit of a surprise - I was rather thinking WHU might approach Roy Hodgson, as a Hammer I was hoping for former player Chris Hughton (who I think got a raw deal at Newcastle).

Of all the names that are in the hat, I would prefer Hughton, followed by Hodgson or Jol. I really wouldn't be keen on O'Neill, and if they go for Allardyce, it'll be the last time they'll see me at the Boleyn.

As for Grant, I think he's been shamefully treated. Not by the board, because he has a contract and if they want him to stay then they need do nothing. However, the way he has been hounded by the press and media is horrible. Yet through it all he has kept his dignity and not moaned or whinged.

For what it's worth, I still think the way out of trouble for West Ham is Grant + money. We're two wins off mid-table, in a leading position in a Cup semi-final and still in another Cup competition.

He's got seventeen squad players injured, his major summer signing (and midfield linchpin) hasn't played a minute after being injured on international duty, he's been on the end of some awful refereeing decisions which would have probably got him those two wins.

• RMweb Premium

Of all the names that are in the hat, I would prefer Hughton, followed by Hodgson or Jol. I really wouldn't be keen on O'Neill, and if they go for Allardyce, it'll be the last time they'll see me at the Boleyn.

As for Grant, I think he's been shamefully treated. Not by the board, because he has a contract and if they want him to stay then they need do nothing. However, the way he has been hounded by the press and media is horrible. Yet through it all he has kept his dignity and not moaned or whinged.

For what it's worth, I still think the way out of trouble for West Ham is Grant + money. We're two wins off mid-table, in a leading position in a Cup semi-final and still in another Cup competition.

He's got seventeen squad players injured, his major summer signing (and midfield linchpin) hasn't played a minute after being injured on international duty, he's been on the end of some awful refereeing decisions which would have probably got him those two wins.

Agreed about the way Grant is being treated - it's quite disgusting. I don't rate him as a manager (no passion, too many mumbled limp excuses), but as a human being he deserves better than this. I honestly feel sorry for the bloke.

I doubt that Allardyce would come to Upton Park anyway (and I wouldn't like to see him there), to his credit he's played it straight and refused to consider the post while Grant is still in charge.

It seems I posted too soon re. O'Neill - personally I don't think he'd fit in at all. (And he abruptly walked out of Villa which doesn't exactly make me warm to the guy).

• RMweb Premium

Looks like Grant is safe for the moment.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/w/west_ham_utd/9364949.stm

He really does pick them doesn't he...dry.gif

Now at least Portsmouth had some sort of excuse...it was run by people who patently knew nothing about how to run a football club - or by the looks of things any sort of business. West Ham though, with their ownership 'dream team' of Gold and Sullivan and Chief Executive Karren Brady, have run a football club...and made a fairly decent job of it. Yet this time around they give the impression of being total novices.

Perhaps if a little more attention was paid by Gold and Sullivan to running the club, as opposed to being 'fans' (for a lesson on how effective it is for a 'fan' to run a club see Newcastle United), and Brady actually got on with her day job (i.e. being Chief Executive) instead of playing side-kick to Alan Sugar (sorry m'lud...Lord Sugar), then there may be a little more stability off the pitch...leading to more stability on the pitch.

Their legacy? Quite likely to drop them into a division where there are considerably more stable and organised clubs, and wave bye-bye to the Premiership for the long term - see Portsmouth...

• Like 1