Hornby Stanier coach value when selling

manxman

Can anyone explain why when I try to sell a Stanier coach (RRP £38) the best offer I receive is £5? I understand why I can't sell my Triang Mk 1 stock but I would have thought one of the best coaches on the market, and one of the most expensive, was worth more than £5. I'm puzzled.

Can anyone explain why when I try to sell a Stanier coach (RRP £38) the best offer I receive is £5? I understand why I can't sell my Triang Mk 1 stock but I would have thought one of the best coaches on the market, and one of the most expensive, was worth more than £5. I'm puzzled.

Where were you trying to sell it?

£5 is less than it is worth true enough, it should be worth £20 including postage.

Coaches of any type are slow sellers second hand. Even more so if there are these items in new stock available easily.

This caveat applies equally to all makes of coaches, not just Hornby.

I agree that £5 is a bit low but it depends on where you are offering it. As a PX or straight buy by the trade £8, possibly £10, would be a good price, bearing in mind that £18 is the going s/hand price and after VAT etc a dealer has to make a profit and may have to sit with it on his/her shelf for some time. As a private sale it should make £18 to £20 but in auction it depends on who wants it on the day. Unfortunately that particular coach range is not as sought after as, say, the BR green Maunsells or LNER crimson and creams so the laws of supply and demand come into play. We have trouble selling new ones even at discount so would only offer a low price for them and the sell them on again as cheaply as we could to cover our costs.

Dave

Thanks for the intrest and replies. It is the latest model and was examined by those who made the offer.

Perhaps it is just as well my eyesight is not as good as it used to be and so I can hardly see the LMS markings and can be fooled into thinking it is BR maroon! Oh the joys of old age!

You should get £10 or more for it really in LMS livery though the all firsts aren't particularly useful if its one of those.

A glut of LMS versions sold cheap in trainsets hasn't helped. I've got some myself to replace any glazing that was glue damaged on my BR liveried versions.

The full brake may make a little more though in LMS most people would need to repaint it (I paid £10 for an LMS one).

Selling model railway stuff is a bit haphazard just at the moment, for instance, while looking in completed listings, I just noticed an unused, boxed, 1980's Lima cl 117 - 3 car DMU set went unsold on ebay, at a start price of just 99p. - although it was simply described as '3 boxed green Lima coaches'

Locally, Halifax toyfair packed up a few years ago, and Morley toyfair seems to have been abandoned, mainly, but, not completely, due to most traders struggling to make their stall / petrol expenses.

I noticed quite a few visitors at Wakefield show, just last weekend, comment that model railways had become 'too expensive' maybe RMweb members, are among the main people keeping the hobby alive these days, as we are actually willing to pay for good quality scale models.

I would have thought the Stanier coach should make a tenner, a fiver seems rather unfair really, but just at the moment, I'm not that surprised, a lot of people seem worried about losing their job by Christmas, or early next year, with all the cutbacks and downsizing taking place.

I've traded at Morley a couple of times, (in the school which the toyfair organiser has been using) there's some issues with the floor getting scratched by table legs, and also, the original Sports centre venue, was demolished to make way for a new one on the same site, which is now open for business.

At the last toyfair at Morley (in the school) a lot of traders were fed up with regularly not selling much of anything, but opinion was divided, as some traders were satisfied with sales, so it remains to be seen if will start up again, there's plenty of village halls and community centre's in the area, which would be ideal.

I don't think Morley toyfair has been officially abandoned, as such, but trader support is an issue, one major trader called it a day there, and that was a good few months before the final event at the school.

Just bought a Dapol Stanier BR Maroon CK for £11. Would have thought the Hornby one should be sold to dealer for around £10 with a buying price of around £20, after all new ones are arount £32 ish discounted I think. Suspect the main reason for lower price was as first mentioned ie people thought it was the original model introduced in 1977. These would fetch a much lower price than even the Airfix/Dapol ones

It is the latest model and was examined by those who made the offer.

Suspect the main reason for lower price was as first mentioned ie people thought it was the original model introduced in 1977.

I think that point has already been covered by the OP.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to add a little.

I purchased one of the new type Stanier's off of ebay last year. It was clearly described as the latest type in the heading and description and I paid just £6.50. It was a 1st, so not the most wanted version, and there was just one other bidder. It also finished on a Sunday evening, when I find the best prices are obtained. I bought on spec' and probably wouldn't have gone beyond a tenner as I already had one. I converted it with Comet sides. Not something I would have done had I paid full whack.

I converted it with Comet sides. Not something I would have done had I paid full whack.

Although I regularly build coaches in brass, IMO there is a good case for buying a Hornby coach at full price and fitting brass sides if the final model is far more detailed than if built from a brass kit.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived