Trefor - North Wales circa 1934

Jan C H

Was going to start a gallery with these shots but I don't seem to be able get anything to upload. So I'll post some photos here instead.

But first a bit of background. This is my first serious layout and I have been making very slow progress with it for about 6 years now. However, I finally feel it is presentable enough to photograph.

In the 19th Century, a line along the north coast of the Lleyn peninsula was proposed to terminate in Morfa Nefyn (or Porth Dinllaen). This would become the main port for the LNWR's ferries to Ireland. However, before things got very far, it was decided to construct a line across Anglesey and develop Holyhead instead. Morfa Nefyn was left to remain the quiet place it remains today.

In my imaginary world, the line was constructed but before the port could be developed, a change of strategy re-focussed on Holyhead. This left the Morfa Nefyn line as a branch line. The advent of the railway generated some development of Porth Dinllaen but nowhere near as much as resulted in Holyhead. However, the final through station before Morfa Nefyn would have been Trefor. This is a small port at the foot of Yr Eifi. This is a granite hill which was heavily quarried to provide almost all the stone setts on the streets of Britain. Not only would this provide regular goods traffic for the railway but may, I reasoned even require a narrow gauge feeder line and transfer area.

Anyway - you can tell I've thought about this... But enough blurb - here's the images:

28r.jpg

26r.jpg

23r.jpg

22r.jpg

21r.jpg

18r.jpg

16r.jpg

14r.jpg

13r.jpg

11r.jpg

7r.jpg

5r.jpg

4r.jpg

2r.jpg

1r.jpg

Delightful, Jan, and very believable - especially like the dock area and the signals even though they're perhaps a little inaccurate for some tastes. Nevertheless, they convey bags of atmosphere which is just as important to me :)

Always had a bit of an interest in the railways of N. Wales - I wonder if anyone will attempt the proposed branch to Beaumaris?

Anyway, well done.

Jonte

• RMweb Gold

Fine atmosphere and quality modelling. The signalling experts may take you to task, but hopefully they will also acknowledge that layouts with this much signalling are by no means in the majority, so you are still ahead!

When the budget allows, award yourself another loco or two, too - so much to like here.

Yeah, I really could do with a Coal Tank or a Webb 2-4-2. but these will probably have to be kits, which apart from the issue of cost, is a challenge I have never undertaken before!

It's interesting that the signals have been picked up on as there is a story of extreme frustration and despair associated with these which resulted in a "Oh bug**r it. It'll have to do!" scenario. :D

Yeah, I really could do with a Coal Tank or a Webb 2-4-2. but these will probably have to be kits, which apart from the issue of cost, is a challenge I have never undertaken before!

It's interesting that the signals have been picked up on as there is a story of extreme frustration and despair associated with these which resulted in a "Oh bug**r it. It'll have to do!" scenario. :D

A 5'6" Webb 2-4-2T would look good, with a couple of ex LNWR carriages.

GEM do a whitemetal kit which isn't too expensive (as kits go) but wouldn't give such a good result as the London Road models etched kit. M&L also did the 5' 6" tank, later sold by Alan Gibson. Again whitemetal but better than the GEM version.

LRM and Wizard/51L do suitable "suburban" LNWR carriages, which would be appropriate to a small branch line in LMS days. To get started on kit building you could have a go at one of the LRM carriages. Straightforward etched body, with Ratio plastic underframe and bogies, and paint it in the simple LMS livery.

A 5'6" Webb 2-4-2T would look good, with a couple of ex LNWR carriages.

GEM do a whitemetal kit which isn't too expensive (as kits go) but wouldn't give such a good result as the London Road models etched kit. M&L also did the 5' 6" tank, later sold by Alan Gibson. Again whitemetal but better than the GEM version.

LRM and Wizard/51L do suitable "suburban" LNWR carriages, which would be appropriate to a small branch line in LMS days. To get started on kit building you could have a go at one of the LRM carriages. Straightforward etched body, with Ratio plastic underframe and bogies, and paint it in the simple LMS livery.

Useful info - thanks

If you post your track plan I will draw a signalling plan for you. (I actually own a genuine LNWR signal box diagram btw)

OK. I'll have to put together an image. The original plan was in CAD and was altered quite a bit during construction.

Ta.

• RMweb Gold

Here you go Beastie boy!

No sleep 'til Trefor :lol:

25 lever frame or thereabouts, your signal box would look nicer as the Bachmann LNWR one. I've added the trap points which are omitted from the plan, I can see they are missing from the layout, no problem, make dummy ones with some lengths of rail. I've also drawn all the signals, but some of them will be off scene, the distants (the yellow ones) would be about 45' away for example. The bay is assumed to be a goods one only, I've drawn the quay line and the bay line departure signals as tall siding signals as they read to the single line so visibility would be important. The ground signals would be LMS discs, LNWR ground signals or LNWR miniature arms, the other signals can be LNWR as you've modelled or LMS replacements - if you want advice then please ask again.

post-6662-079472300 1291140256_thumb.jpg

hth

Neat idea, and its in North Wales so it can't be bad! :D What I would say is the architecture does not create the look of an LNWR line in North Wales. There is a neat LNWR signal box available from either Hornby or Bachmann (I forget which). Station buildings on the Chester-Holyhead mainline were of C&H and LNWR designs for your period and were mostly of brick construction, and Hornby produce a footbridge that is more appropriate for an ex-LNWR line.

Lastly, the diagonal cream station fencing looks to be of Midland origin. While this style can be seen on Bodorgan station, it would be safer to use something more akin to LNWR platform fencing. Such measures create parentage of a line when not a loco or coach is in sight.:)

An alternative to a new signal box would be an open ground frame on the platform as used at various locations on the Amlwch and Afon Wen branches - to me that would really spell ' LNW in North Wales'.

Nice concept though!

Oh, and by the way I think you deserve credit for at least trying to use LNWR signals. They are very characteristic and help set the scene.

No sleep 'til Trefor :lol:

25 lever frame or thereabouts, your signal box would look nicer as the Bachmann LNWR one. I've added the trap points which are omitted from the plan, I can see they are missing from the layout, no problem, make dummy ones with some lengths of rail. I've also drawn all the signals, but some of them will be off scene, the distants (the yellow ones) would be about 45' away for example. The bay is assumed to be a goods one only, I've drawn the quay line and the bay line departure signals as tall siding signals as they read to the single line so visibility would be important. The ground signals would be LMS discs, LNWR ground signals or LNWR miniature arms, the other signals can be LNWR as you've modelled or LMS replacements - if you want advice then please ask again.

post-6662-079472300 1291140256_thumb.jpg

hth

Wow.

Thanks - I'll have a look at revamping things at some point on the basis of your diagram.

Ta

Neat idea, and its in North Wales so it can't be bad! :D What I would say is the architecture does not create the look of an LNWR line in North Wales. There is a neat LNWR signal box available from either Hornby or Bachmann (I forget which). Station buildings on the Chester-Holyhead mainline were of C&H and LNWR designs for your period and were mostly of brick construction, and Hornby produce a footbridge that is more appropriate for an ex-LNWR line.

Yeah I know what you mean. But in reality, the LNWR never made it this far down the Lleyn so I rationalised that buildings would take on a character more in keeping with the local vernacular and would therefore be a little different to those prior to Caernarfon.

Anyway - don't like brick!

• 2 months later...

Well, haven't re-modelled the signalling yet but I've spent the past few months populating the layout with people, workmen, seagulls and telegraph pole & wires. May sound a bit odd but I'm really pleased withe telegraph wires as they were real pain to do bit have come out looking pretty good I think. So I took some photos of them. The seagulls really animate the layout as well which turned out to be a nice surprise.

Also been weathering the locos, crewing them and building some PO wagons from suitably local companies.

1r.jpg

2r.jpg

3r.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived