Pete Waterman at Warley

DonB

Well done Pete, a real celebrity, proudly showing our hobby to the world, you've done us proud mate. Thanks and keep up the good work, this is the kind of publicity boost we've needed for years, to counter the crass and derogatory statements made by so-called comedians and television presenters over the years.

That YouTube sequence was my first view inside one of the big model railway exhibitions since the early 1970s. After watching Pete W. walk around showing us this and that, it occured to me what a splendid programme a model railway exhibition could make with some other knowledgeable chappy showing viewers not only the layouts but also the static exhibits of beautifully made and painted models hoping to win trophys........ (do they still have them today)? It would need someone like Pete W. or the late Fred Dibner to fire the imagination of viewers and, hopefully, generate new blood for model railways.

On this score, i think it would have to start with models of trains people see around them today so that they can identify with them and appreciate the realism. Then move back through history showing the diesel era of yesteryear and on back to the steam era in its various forms, plus of course models of the great British streamliners that everyone and his granny knows about.:)

I am assuming that is the great Tim Watson behind Copenhagan Fields? At least I imagine so because a couple of lovely Midland Railway 0-6-0's are heading one of the trains!

Isn't that also Noel Leaver standing by and turning as Pete Waterman stands at the front of the stand?

That is Tim, he's always been slim though, not great..... Tim's models are terrific, I agree.

Indeed. You could be easily mistaken for thinking they are 4mm scale or larger in photos.

I believe his 2mm finescale Spinner even had working pistons inside... of course, it may be mere mythology..

His work is a yardstick by which I measure myself but will always ultimately fail.

Never met him, but would like to with those MR engines for a closer look.

Chris

Archived