Diag 1/163 25 1/2 ton hopper/wagons for 9L02

LNERGE

Faced with snow covering everything outside i usually play with and me becoming a terrible wimp i've turned to scratchbuilding some wagons..

This one is a first go to help me work out the true shapes of some of the platework and nudge the old grey matter towards oo scale and away from 12 inch to the foot.post-4034-064540900 1291395606_thumb.jpg

I got carried away and built it onto a spare Parkside Dundas chassis. The ribs are too big but once the whole thing was together i thought it didn't too bad and i'll let it form the start of a small batch.

Is anyone aware of any suitable transfers for this vehicle? I'm especially keen to find one transfer for the MAXIMUM SPEED 35 MPH legend..

I'd like to acknowledge and thank Paul Barlett and his magnificent site and the Barrowmore MRG for the drawing.post-4034-017323900 1291396679_thumb.jpg

I admire your courage in re-starting scratchbuilding with something as complicated as a hopper- even kit-built ones can be difficult to get square. The ribs may well be too big, but they convey the character of the wagon- they always struck me as much chunkier than the 21t hoppers, when I used to see them on the sand trains from Oakamoor at Cockshute.

Nice to see another scratchbuilder and that's some good work on difficult prototypes.

Not a criticism, but a question: I see there isn't much/any river or bolt detail on those wagons. That may be prototypical (I'm not familiar with them) but rivets were something which put me off scratchbuilding for a long time. I wondered whether you'd seen these. I wouldn't be without them now.

I've tried to stick to modelling welded prototypes but yes there should be some rivet detail or something to represent Huck fastenings where used.. I will experiment in due course. There are numerous inaccuracies on all the wagons built so far but i hope they capture the basic shape of their prototypes. The main issue is they have to run well enough to be propelled over the trailing connections on my layout.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice Covhop, I did start scratchbuilding some a few years ago and got most of the parts cut and ready but only got as far as completing the first one. Just one thing that I did notice is that the weld strapping on the top of the wagon - the second and fifth straps stop at the top of the roof slope and then you have the opening filling hatches, which hinges open. The other straps (1st, 3rd, 4th and 6th) all appear to go right across the top of the wagon from the photos that I have got of the two remaining wagons. I knew I should have took some more detailed ones when I had the chance and a pair of ladders a few years ago doh!

Cheers Paul

I did make a little more progress with the COVHOP over Christmas but i'm now awaiting parts to progress the underframe details..

post-4034-0-92942300-1294224418_thumb.jpg

It will most probably be painted as a sugar carrier in due course as i've seen a few pictures and a video of them singularly in freights in East Anglia. I need to find a good colour picture so i can match the paint. It seems to be a very light blue.

I did make a little more progress with the COVHOP over Christmas but i'm now awaiting parts to progress the underframe details..

post-4034-0-92942300-1294224418_thumb.jpg

It will most probably be painted as a sugar carrier in due course as i've seen a few pictures and a video of them singularly in freights in East Anglia. I need to find a good colour picture so i can match the paint. It seems to be a very light blue.

There are three photos of sugar covhops in this collection http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/c28362.html Unfortunately you have not modelled a sugar covhop, just a standard one :mellow: . The fillers were different and they had their own diagram 1/249. As you suggest they were a light blue - lighter than the blue used on BSC lorries - the photographs show this comparison.

Bulk Urea was worked to Great Chesterford in Cambridgeshire.

Sorry this topic has gone OT.

Paul Bartlett

I've modified the title slightly to reflect what i'm trying to do. The two COVHOPs required for this train will be built later on once i've built the bulk of the other wagons. The MSO/V's will be modified Airfix kits and the 31 is a standard Hornby product..

post-4034-0-27095000-1294236842_thumb.jpg

I'll keep plodding away building 1/163 and 1/167 hoppers for now.

I'm sure this train would have arrived at Lynn in the reverse order to the list and thus would have had an fairly chunky fitted head. With the train arranged to the list it must have been getting near to what a 31 could handle though some of the other lists i have show swinging loads up 950 tonnes. In model form this train is of quite significant length and probably beyond the length limit of my loops so it may get trimmed a little.

The COVHOP built so far was a practise piece to see if i could make the roof etc. It will receive modified hatches in due course and wont run in the same train as i hope my next efforts will be better.

Archived