Paintstripping

Good afternoon, all.

My very first posting and its a question, I'm afraid.

I airbrushed several Ratio coach roofs using Humbrol acrylic (now made in China!) that I'd thinned using water. I had carelessly not set the airbrush (Paasche HS) correctly so ended up with a mess, a right old horlicks of a paint job. I have either to throw the roofs away or to strip them: does anyone what will bring acrylic off?

Hi, Mr Muscle oven cleaner has worked a treat form me in the past though that was factory finished Hornby and Lima models but it takes the paint straight off, just spray it on put in a sealed bag for about an hour come back wash it off little rub here and there bob's your uncle, would recommend trying on just the one roof just to make sure there's no reaction with the ratio plastic, I've also use neat IPA when weathering and this is very effective but try and do that as soon as possible, hope this helps if I can think of anything else I post it :D

If the Humbrol Acrylic paint is similar to Tamiya Acrylic, then Oxi-Clean powder in warm solution will safely remove acrylic paint and varnish,

it is not strong enough (less alkali than Mr Muscle,(Caustic Soda)), .to remove enamel, and cellulose paint. By warm I mean about blood temperature, just not a dead cold solution. It can be as quick as a few minutes to dissolve the paint.

It is used by artists etc., for Acrylic paints of most types, and definitely will have no ill effect on plastics.

Stephen.

Soaked overnight in caustic soda solution - the nearest thing local hardware shop had to Mr Muscle. Roofs now ready for painting again. I'll do it P

properly this time: Halford's primer then enamel. I'm not so sue about acryloic any more. Thanks all for your advice

• RMweb Premium

Car brake fluid will strip most paints - but do not put steel based parts in - it'll corrode steel very quickly. An overnight soak will get 99% of paint off a plastic wagon body, then pick off the loosened stuff with a tooth pick or a dentists probe.

I use an old tupperware box solely for doing this and you get a lot of paint removal sessionsout of a botle of brake fluid - re-use it, and when you are totally done with it, take it to the council tip and dispose of it responsibly - not down the drain.

Archived