TTF Underframe/brake rigging

Mornin' All.

Now that Bachmann are producing a monoblock tank wagon without tops branding or hazchem labelling, but still retaining the air-brake underframe ?? it's time to think about a train of 1966ish wagons. Does any one know of either a conversion pack from TTA to Vac. brake only, or a good diagram of said underframe. I'm happy to assemble my own from parts if needed and I've sourced a few pics from the usual sources which may be sufficient, but I'd like to get it just right if poss. Any help much appreciated.

Steve

PS I thought this would be best placed here rather than the OO forum.

Hi Steve

There isnt a conversion set so to speak, for vac fitted TTx range. I'm building a rake of TTV lpg tanks and having similar problems the TTV lpg has a lot of diagrams most with differing gear. Its sligthly easier for me I guess as I'm modelling the 80s and there are many more photos around, ie Paul bartletts site.

This was the thread I posted on the old forum (previous version) Its not that long a thread but may help a little TTA/TTV conversion thread

hth

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I've looked at Paul's site,searched TTV even though I'm modelling pre TOPS.I've looked through all my freight stock books and there's an obvious vac. cylinder,at the opposite end to the access ladder, asymetrical sole-bar brackets etc and I've loads of ABS wagon fittings to make a representation, so I guess I'll make do with a side-on only approach!

Cheers

Steve

It sounds like you've come across the issue of TOPS being a relatively poor describer of wagon types for the modeller. You will have more luck if you search using the name of the relevant oil company. By sheer coincidence, I've been working on just such a conversion this last week. I've been meaning to take a couple of pictures so if you're interested, I can post them on here? It depends on exactly how much effort you want to go to in terms of detail, but the basics aren't terribly difficult - remove the AB equipment and replace it with a vacuum cylinder. The *fun* (if that's what you want to call it) starts when you start looking at the photographs of the various builds of monobloc tanker closely. Esso bought some early 35 tonners which feature in this Paul Bartlett collection, but the suspension and brakegear arrangements are different to the Bachmann model. This selection shows tanks leased from BRT/Procor and this shot shows where the cylinder goes (though the 'vees' are different from the Bachmann model in this instance, the arrangement of brakegear is the same):

http://www.gallery6801.fotopic.net/p33059996.html

Adam

Adam

Thanks for your reply. As you say there are many variancies within these wagon classes.The Bachmann model is correct in all respects re. the the very specific wagon type/route that I'm aiming for except that they were vac. only. Of course, modelling my period, TOPS, air brakes and hazchem labels don't feature which is why I waited for this model to appear ( less work per wagon)!! We're talking Grey/red Shell/BP here, and with the black Shell/BP oil variant due I'd better get mobile! A look at the pics would be good.

Cheers

Steve

Steve

You may find this article useful

Bartlett, Paul W & Fidczuk, Peter (1992) Tank wagons, part 6. SMBP 45ton GLW tank wagons, Model Railways vol. 9 (part 4) pp 182 - 188.

Drawing SMBP 45t Class A tank wagon vacuum brake diag. TT026H/J/N and Airbrake TT088F

Regards

Paul Bartlett

OMCD Go well diamond Heart Mostly Autumn http://mostly-autumn-paul-bartlett.fotopic.net/c1921840.html :yahoo_mini:

Here we go. I'm not certain whether I will add the remaining linkages in this case since they're so difficult to discern on the real thing, I'm not certain where they go. I know dad has a copyof the relevant Model Railways article back in Somerset so we shall have to see. However, here's current progress:

post-256-000056500 1291815355_thumb.gif

post-256-080723600 1291815366_thumb.gif

HTH

Adam

Adam

Thanks for posting the pics,that's what I had in mind, detail-wise.

Another member sent me a link to Pauls article and one pic, with the tank body removed appears to show dual vac cylinders.Thanks to all for your help.

Cheers

Steve

Archived