O Scale Class 14 kit

F-UnitMad

and it's still sitting there glaring at me from its box. I did get the chassis to run, but ran out of steam

any particular reason for the stall in the build, to do with the kit?

BTW - I didn't realise these operated on steam :D

Lots of other Class 14 fans on here would appreciate photos (incomplete or not).

If you're interested in seeing some/all of the pics drop me a PM and I'll try and dig them out. And/or I can take some pics of my model as it stands.

Steph

It would be nice to see the pics here if you & Jordan don't mind :icon_smile: (it's all interesting stuff :icon_cool: )

Cheers Phill :icon_thumbsup2:

Those lumps of white metal are another disappointment with this kit - I thought they were internal weights to add a bit of mass (like lead from the church roof repair) detail what detail :D

Heck they're better lumps of whitemetal than some that came with the 22... :icon_rolleyes: :icon_razz:

Thanks for the comments guys, cheers Ross; with a 40:1 gearset it should go quite slowly, then!!

And like Phill and Kenton say; Pics? Yes please!! On here would be just great!!!:icon_biggrin:

Oh dear, hoisted by my own whatsisname. I'd better try and find those pics hadn't I...?

any particular reason for the stall in the build, to do with the kit?

Kenton,

Interesting question that - yes, it was something to do with the build, but other than general dissatisfaction I can't remember the specifics. Some of the things I wanted to sort out included the huge handrail brackets on the running plate, almost complete lack of symmetry in any of the parts, coupling rods not jointed on the knuckle and tread plate that would probably do better as a cheese grater.

Oh! And brakegear components that either aligned with the wheels or the holes in the chassis. But not both.

Other than those minor points it's a great kit. :-|

Hence I ran out of steam - the loco never had it in the first place. My more recent build of the Judith Edge Bulleid 11001 (covered on the old forum) was a doddle by comparison. Mind you that's not finished yet as I'd like to find a couple more photos around the front end to see if my assumptions about the brakegear are correct.

Rambling mode off.

Steph

Interesting question that - yes, it was something to do with the build, but other than general dissatisfaction I can't remember the specifics. Some of the things I wanted to sort out included the huge handrail brackets on the running plate, almost complete lack of symmetry in any of the parts, coupling rods not jointed on the knuckle and tread plate that would probably do better as a cheese grater.

Oh! And brakegear components that either aligned with the wheels or the holes in the chassis. But not both.

typical kit build then ;)

My more recent build of the Judith Edge Bulleid 11001 (covered on the old forum) was a doddle by comparison. Mind you that's not finished yet as I'd like to find a couple more photos around the front end to see if my assumptions about the brakegear are correct.

I assume you have a copy of the bible (Colin J Marsden's The diesel Shunter) with its excellent photo of 11001 on pg38-39 ? Dpesn't that solve it?

typical kit build then ;)

You got it - though I'm finding that being more selective (or scratchbuilding) is making me both happier and more productive. I'd love to finish my Teddybear though as I think they're cracking things. Bit late for the c.1950 timescale of my other project though!

I assume you have a copy of the bible (Colin J Marsden's The diesel Shunter) with its excellent photo of 11001 on pg38-39 ? Dpesn't that solve it?

I sure have, though there are two problems with that. First up the handbrake linkage is on the other side of the loco. Secondly despite it being a pretty good photo I am still not certain about the orientation of the brake cylinder(s) wrt the front brake beam. I'll work it out though.

Need to finish the monster turf out of the workshop first, though ;)

Sorry Jordan, I keep crashing your thread. Pics next week okay?

Steph

Sorry Jordan, I keep crashing your thread. Pics next week okay?

Hey, don't mind me- it's why I prefer the traditional Thread over those Blog thingies...

Managed to snatch a bit of time this morning and some dodgy Phone Camera pics...

The cab sides are now in place, nice and flush to the footplate, and by a remarkable stroke of luck pretty much square in all directions!!! The 'A' end bonnet is in place but as yet just lightly soldered to the cab end. I need to make up the side boxes (actually the fuel tanks?) to check for fitting before soldering the bonnet fully.

Class14G001.jpg

Class14G002.jpg

Ever have one of those "D'oh!!" moments..??? As you'll have gathered, I have plenty when it comes to model railways... of course I have the 'bible' too... dug out my copy of "The Diesel Shunter" and lo-and-behold... inside a picture of D9535 at Cardiff in 1965..!! :icon_thumbsup2:

Points to note;

1- it only appears to have Works Plates, after I've ordered Shed Plates as well... :icon_rolleyes:

2- it has the Double-Brake Shoes as supplied in the kit *phew!!* ashamed0006.gif and not Single Shoes. A picture of D9537 on the cover shows the same thing, yet I've also got pictures of lower-number (i.e. earlier) machines with single shoes.?? So the point raised by Brian earlier is no longer a problem... just goes to show once again how important it can be to have a picture of your actual subject to hand, though, doesn't it?

3- surely the numbers are the same style as the later TOPS-Era font? They aren't the standard font for BR Green livery, agreed, but they don't look entirely different to anything ever used on BR locos...??

4- There is a distinct instep between the ends of the bonnets and the footplate. The kit does have this cut-out on the bonnets, but leaves 'daylight' underneath if just left as-is. I've used some scrap brass strip to fill inside behind the bonnet sides to fill the gap, and tried to take a pic to vaguely show what I'm on about. This instep continues around the nose, too, so will need filing into the whitemetal casting before fitting...

Class14G003.jpg

As ever... onwards & ...oh shut up....:icon_rolleyes: :icon_redface: :icon_wave:

Finally caught up with Jordans masterclass in Cl14 construction. I must say that I'm a little disappointed :( not a trace of comedy soldering in sight............just the start of an excellent looking build just like his 22 :P

Keep up the good work mate and I'll watch with interest ;)

Finally caught up with Jordans masterclass in Cl14 construction.

Where's that then..?? Can you post a link to it ? :icon_confused: :icon_what: :icon_biggrin:

Tonight's quick update... The 'A' end bonnet is now soldered into place (and there IS comedy soldering... :icon_redface: ) and also the square sections either side, which have been filled with lead strip for weight. I omitted to do this with the smaller ones at the B end, but that end can have the whole bonnet filled with lead anyway.!! I also forgot to glue the lead in one of the sides, so there's a slight rattle if you shake the body :icon_rolleyes:. That might end up sounding quite prototypical in the end, you never know!! :icon_razz:

Apart from the bonnet ends and rolling the cab roof, the major work on the body is pretty much all done- just all the detail to fit !

I'm now looking at the cab interior, and judging by the floor plate, I have a nasty feeling I should've put it in place as I was soldering up the cab sides... :icon_eek: :icon_frustrated: :icon_redface: some slight modification (i.e. narrowing!) will be needed.

The chassis frames, wheels and connecting rods are winging their way to Nortonian (Ian) at this time, who will have a good laugh at my chassis, then post the work he does jointing the rods for me on this thread.

Whatever everyone's likes and dislikes of RMweb4, this Forum remains as an utterly indispensible resource, for both the information available and the contact with fellow modellers and willing help, both on-line and for real ! I cannot imagine where I'd have been with both this build and the Class 22 if I'd been entirely on my own...

I just shows how popular this forum is when a build of an obscure class like a Teddy Bear generates so much interest.

I MUST get started on my Impetus Ruston DE165 0-6-0, the ex WR PWM, class 97/6, which I keep meaning to begin. It's 7mm scale, so may enjoy a bit of interest on here too.

I MUST get started on my Impetus Ruston DE165 0-6-0, the ex WR PWM, class 97/6, which I keep meaning to begin. It's 7mm scale, so may enjoy a bit of interest on here too.

It certainly would ... but that fact has nothing to do with it being 7mm. Anything in the small industrial shunter category just doesn't exist in the RTR market.

Not much more to show in the way of progress; spent some time today cleaning up the existing soldering.

Now some of the details are being added, starting with the tops of the side boxes, and the bonnet side doors. These doors are made up from two layers for depth. I've put both layers on the model at once, held in place with magnets, and soldered them up in situ, rather than trying to do a layer at a time. The individual doors are all joined as a strip, with small tabs which represent the hinges, which helps to locate them and is easier than soldering every single door seperately.

More dodgy pics...

Class14H004.jpg

Class14H005.jpg

I will leave soldering on the whitemetal bonnet ends as late as possible, to reduce the risk of them being melted while other details are added, even though all this work is now being done with Low-melt solder.

Anyone would think you had a hydraulic fetish Phill ;)

Some diesel enthusiasts are said to have diesel in their veins... Phill has Hydraulic Fluid in his....:icon_lol: :icon_tongue: :icon_thumbsup2:

Sorry, Phill!! :icon_winker: :icon_wave:

Apologies to everyone for a distinct lack of progress in the last few days; my wife hasn't been at all well so I simply haven't had chance to do anything model railway related more than grab a quick look at the Forums...

Normal Service will be resumed as soon as possible... :icon_thumbsup2:

I just shows how popular this forum is when a build of an obscure class like a Teddy Bear generates so much interest.

A PWM shunter would certainly be interesting, especially in 7mm

Archived