Lime Kilns

Chubber

Hullo, John,

Great minds think alike, or fools seldom differ? :D

It's a mish-mash of all the lime kiln sites I've visited over several hours of research, I wanted something different for a scenic break and a recent TV programme set me off on the track. You have to input Lime kilns [obviously] U.K. and old as there are lots of USA sites, and lots of modern industrial examples. The correct description for these would be a 'Double draw' kiln.

Hi, Kris,

The railings are made from 20thou styrene sheet strip and 0.8mm rod glued with MEK, I made a small jig from card to cover the whole length and then bent it. My soldering iron is kaput, or it would have been much finer, in tin plate and 0.5mm florists wire. I'm hoping Santa will bring me one!

Best wishes,

Doug

Doug

David (Cary Hill) and I have been in conversation about limekilns. He's come up with the Annery Kiln - and a Wikipedia article with dimensioned drawings http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annery_kiln

Yours is much higher than the westcountry kilns I've been studying. Extant ones (via Streetview) at The Plains, Totnes and Brunel Wharf, Lostwithiel.

Tony, Jonathan, thank you for your kind remarks,

John, I based mine on taller kilns, finally deciding on their height after watching 'The Edwardian Farm' where a man stood in the bottom taking up about a third of th height inside. The programme estimated it ould produce between 20-30 tons of lime when finished burning over 3 [?] days. It was also far more cylindrical with amuch less pronounced 'bottle neck' and may have been less deep because no suitable 'cliff' existed to provide a charging point. Piling up that ramp must have left a big hole somewhere!:D

Good drawings, a useful 'out of use' feature.

Doug

Yours is much higher than the westcountry kilns I've been studying.

The kilns of Shropshire and the Black Country were taller than the West Country ones shown in your reference. In fact the ones at the Black Country museum are about 50% higher than those modelled.

I would say those modelled are typical of the Midlands area.

Archived