HO scale figures.

robbostrains

Would like to start populating my nearly complete HO switching layout.However some figures that are supposed to be HO scale seem to differ to others of the same scale.I have a couple of Preiser figures and some Model Power,the Model Power are bigger in height and girth to the Preiser.Now I know people vary in real life but not to that extent.Need a bit of help here,which are the most true to size figures?Also need American type railroad crew,yard gang etc..

• RMweb Gold

Would like to start populating my nearly complete HO switching layout.However some figures that are supposed to be HO scale seem to differ to others of the same scale.I have a couple of Preiser figures and some Model Power,the Model Power are bigger in height and girth to the Preiser.Now I know people vary in real life but not to that extent.Need a bit of help here,which are the most true to size figures?Also need American type railroad crew,yard gang etc..

I think Woodland Scenics are now doing figures, so might be worth a checkout?

Preiser probably do more than anyone else, but they aren't the cheapest - they do unpainted ones in bulk more cheaply - lots available on ebay from the far east but beware as most are to 1:100 scale and not 1:87. Woodland Scenics do some more or less specifically US figures. Noch also do figures but, like Preiser, not cheap. It might be worth trying to get hold of the 2011 catalogues but they may not be available until around the time of the big Nuremberg Toy Fair http://www.spielwarenmesse.de/

The Woodland Scenics Catalogue is usually available at the AMRSS show in Glasgow at the end of February, if that helps

Try measuring them, HO scale is 3.5mm to the foot and you can take an educated guess on the height of the average person.

Dare I say the Preiser figures are based on the average German, and Model Power on the avarage American...? That might explain the size differential.

• RMweb Gold

That's an interesting thought. However, I just checked average height on Wikipedia:

Average German male: 1.780 m (5 ft 10 in)

Average US male: 1.763 m (5 ft 9 1â„2 in)

There's a lesson for us in there somewhere :)

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Human_height

(also gives heights for different US ethnic groups, which is where it gets a little more complicated).

• RMweb Gold

That's an interesting thought. However, I just checked average height on Wikipedia:

Average German male: 1.780 m (5 ft 10 in)

Average US male: 1.763 m (5 ft 9 1â„2 in)

There's a lesson for us in there somewhere :)

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Human_height

(also gives heights for different US ethnic groups, which is where it gets a little more complicated).

Yeah, but I do feel there are more "cornfed" Americans, although some Germans do quite well for girth, too. Era may be important, too. Living in France but being English, I find I am taller than many Frenchmen, but the younger French male is catching up fast!

Archived