Kyle Line Class 101 Observation Car

forest2807

Evening all,

Can anyone clear up a numbering issue for this Class 101 Observation Car? When it was painted into green/cream a couple of years after this photo was taken it was renumbered 6300. Did it carry this number when liveried blue/grey? Any answers greatly appreciated.

post-7084-072280500 1292188188_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Can anyone clear up a numbering issue for this Class 101 Observation Car? When it was painted into green/cream a couple of years after this photo was taken it was renumbered 6300. Did it carry this number when liveried blue/grey? Any answers greatly appreciated.

Hi Adrian,

6300 was formerly Class 101 DTC 54346.

6301 could have been Class 101 DTC 54218 as this was to be the next conversion but it never happened.

I've only come across 2 photos of the CL101 Observation coach in Blue/Grey and cannot confirm from either of them what number it was carrying.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I can't believe I missed this thread at the time.

I spent four happy summers (1990-1993) working as courrier in the car, guiding the passengers through the fantastic variety of history and folklore of the Kyle line. Only once did a (French) traveller challenge my position: "When are you going to shut up?"

How sad to see it in that state in "preservation". It was a perfectly adequate vehicle at the time, though the main drawback was the loss of the turntable at Kyle (Strathspey's gain), meaning the car couldn't be turned. I forget which summer, but one year there was a couple of class 26s diagrammed to run a few "Hebridean"s. With a perfect view of the rear loco ahead, I was regularly accompanied by a group of afficionados on the way home :)

• 4 years later...

Resurrecting this thread from death . .

I've been thinking about the class 101 / Observation Saloons, and looking through my dad's 'Platform 5 Combined Volumes'  -

Firstly, if you can take the books as reasonably reliable, 6300 is shown as Blue & Grey in the 1988 book, and by 1989 it was in Green & Cream.

Secondly, the 1989 book shows 6301 as formerly DTCL 54367, complete with sector and allocation codes, but by 1990 it was no longer shown.

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Resurrecting an old thread again, when they converted the DTCL into 6300, did they just paint over the yellow ends and apply the stag emblems or was it a complete repaint from bow to stern?

Archived