Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

F-M C-Liners (NH and LIRR)

trisonic

In January 2011 RMC advert for new 5 axle C-Liners in New Haven and also LIRR livery in HO (could use a little additional detailing but very cool looking). An American Co- Bo; actually a Bo-Co!

Very nice logos on the front: "New York, New Haven and Hartford" and "The Route of the Dashing Commuter" (with graphic of MadMan lookalike).

Best, Pete.

But note that the tooling is not of the most recent vintage, and they will only produce what they have orders for. So it won't be available in your local hobby shop.

Dennis

True the TLT tooling (aka Proto-1000 original production) isn't the most recent but its still up there with most of the latest Athearn RTR quality. As for getting one or two, just order through your favourite train dealer.

Hi Pete and all,

I ordered my New Haven version for 'Canadian Model Trains' (in the first run, c. two years ago) and was very pleased with the service I received from them! Mine was a sound version - it seems they do two sound versions, one with a QSI decoder that gives a 'generic' diesel sound and the other is a Loksound decoder with authentic recordings edited onto it. I believe this is only available from CMT!

How authentic, I cannot say but I assume they recorded one of the surviving Canadian locos! Anyway, it sounds superb to me, totally unlike any other diesel sound that I've heard and with a horn that gives a real "blat"!

Sorry to be unduly pedantic but the wheel arrangement is actually B-A1A!

The real things were certainly an elegant machine, powerful and fast - but,.....unreliable! On the New Haven anyway! Although at that time, NY,NH&H shop forces were more used to the rugged simplicity of the products of Schenectedy and that probably had more to do with it! The F-M of course, used the opposed piston engine which was no doupt, much more sophisticated!

Cheers,

John E.

Hi Pete and all,

I ordered my New Haven version for 'Canadian Model Trains' (in the first run, c. two years ago) and was very pleased with the service I received from them! Mine was a sound version - it seems they do two sound versions, one with a QSI decoder that gives a 'generic' diesel sound and the other is a Loksound decoder with authentic recordings edited onto it. I believe this is only available from CMT!

How authentic, I cannot say but I assume they recorded one of the surviving Canadian locos! Anyway, it sounds superb to me, totally unlike any other diesel sound that I've heard and with a horn that gives a real "blat"!

Sorry to be unduly pedantic but the wheel arrangement is actually B-A1A!

The real things were certainly an elegant machine, powerful and fast - but,.....unreliable! On the New Haven anyway! Although at that time, NY,NH&H shop forces were more used to the rugged simplicity of the products of Schenectedy and that probably had more to do with it! The F-M of course, used the opposed piston engine which was no doupt, much more sophisticated!

Cheers,

John E.

I think that the sounds CMT used were provided by Loksound...they have a Train Master sound project on their website available. I used it in my Atlas Train Master where it does sound pretty good. Now, to hear what a real Train Master sounded like... http://utahrails.net/sounds-index.php are recordings of the TM's used in the Espee commuter fleet in the Bay Area. Glorious sounding beasts.

I have some of the original runs of C liners without sounds. They're good looking and run well.

Archived