Class 56 sounds

nimbamoss

• RMweb Gold

by BR speaker i assume you mean bass reflex and i hope rapid838 is not rabid!!

as usual my sounds are by howes and my 56 has a bass reflex fitted (the large ported type), here's a video of it in action, i will try and get an updated video on my new camcorder soon as it has a far better mic etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLNZyPTzeIM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yO9AxDK9TU

I'd go Howes and agree with Jim. The only debate is Bass Reflex versus standard Loksound 20 x 40 oblong.....? What you gain with the bass reflex in rumble, you lose a little on top end when it winds up into a scream. I have one of each and really cannot decide which I like more?

Mine has a base reflex speaker in the fuel tank and a 23mm round speaker in a home made (a la Pete Harvey) enclosure under the fans. Overall sound quality is excellent.

I too have the Howes decoder. Whilst it sounds great initially, when on the move I'm not so convinced. It sounds loopy to me (by that I mean it sounds like a loop of sound played over and over with a distinct gap between each loop). I keep pestering SWD to do one but it still hasn't materialised, are there any other sources out there, if so has anyone tried them?

Hi Mike, I have an Olivia's chip in mine with a 40 x 20 bass-enhanced speaker under the fans. Sounds very nice and the scream is louder than the Howes project (which we also have). The drawback is it doesn't stay there but drops out of scream/thrash. A couple of speedsteps up sends it back into 'scream mode' again though so its not a big issue, but the sound does need 'driving'. I'll try and sort out a video soon. HTH, kev.

I was responsible for the Olivia's chip so I'm pleased to hear that people like it. The engine sounds were recorded on a load bank which may account for the difference. I've fixed the issue that Kevpeo is referring to so the thrash / turbo whistle stays on until the throttle is backed off. I've also updated the project with new sounds session recorded at the GCR(N); it now has playable horns and better compressor, brake release and driver's door sounds. The updated project is not available via Olivia's as yet but I'm happy to reblow chips for anyone, send me a PM if you're interested. I haven't had time to do a video with the new sounds but these originals give you an idea. One of them shows the custom bass reflex speaker I made;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApsGBSh1Ztw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hjfhcDb948

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47a_ECwLHwc

Bif

I like the Olivias sound but on the ones I've heard, when the scream/thrash kicks in, it seems to get louder in volume suddenly rather than a nice transition. Like the thrash starts at one volume level and then jumps up three levels. Spoils it for me. Is that soumething that is sorted on your new blow? Sounds good on your vid though. Not like the ones I heard at all.

like the Olivias sound but on the ones I've heard, when the scream/thrash kicks in, it seems to get louder in volume suddenly rather than a nice transition. Like the thrash starts at one volume level and then jumps up three levels. Spoils it for me. Is that soumething that is sorted on your new blow? Sounds good on your vid though. Not like the ones I heard at all.

That problem didn't exist in my original version let alone the new one, it must be something Olivia's have done to it. In mine the transition from normal drive to 'thrash' is very smooth and exactly like the prototype. The video is representative in this respect. Most people familiar with 56's love it. The same sounds will feature in the Zimo chip currently in the pipeline at Digitrains.

Hmm wierd, well I tend to get my mits on quite a few Olivias 56's from time to time and as I said it happens on every one I've heard. Next time one passes through my hands I'll run it and video it for you. As I said I love the sound its just that part that put me off!

Cheers

Cav

• 9 months later...

This may seem to be a really stupid question but when buy a sound decoder do you just take out the normal decoder and plug it in.

Thanks in advance

To a great extent, yes exactly that. A lot of discussion on here is about this set of sounds or that set of sounds and the prototypical nature of these and which is 'best'.

The real art is installing the speaker which is unique to a sound decoder. Most chips come with a standard speaker attached and again, lots of chat on here about the various speakers available and how 'good' they are.

You can just plug the chip in and chuck the speaker in a spare space ( more discussion ) and put it on your layout, address it, fire up the sounds and play trains with sounds.

With a smidgeon of research and a couple of 'how do I' posts on here, you will be impressed and hooked all in a few minutes. Then again, lots of dealers will supply and fit for you.

Archived