GCR 'Barnum' Open Brake Third coach

coachmann

A drawing of a 'Barnum' interior appeared in 'British Railway Carriages of the 20th Century - 1901-1922' By D.Jenkinson.

Hi Larry, I have a copy of this book and had a look through for the drawing, but wasn't successful.blink.gif You couldn't let me have the page number could you? At some point I fancy a couple of GP Models 7mm versions of these coaches so it would be useful to know.

Thanks.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Larry, I have a copy of this book and had a look through for the drawing, but wasn't successful.blink.gif You couldn't let me have the page number could you? At some point I fancy a couple of GP Models 7mm versions of these coaches so it would be useful to know.

Thanks.

Hi Rob,

Some years ago ago i built a couple of 7mm GP Barnums, http://www.rmweb.co....barnum-coaches/ And they are quite superb kits, highly recomended.

Cheers,

Dave.

PS Sorry to highjack your thread, Coach.

I have a copy of this book and had a look through for the drawing, but wasn't successful.blink.gif You couldn't let me have the page number could you?
Page 192 Rob.
On your Brake 3rd i notice different gangways either end, will the open gangway be the end of a rake ? Also, have you altered the bogies to accept Bachmann narrow tension-locks ?

The open gangway with the internal door showing will be at the loco end as in Jim Davenport's photos. Yes, the bogies have my adapter plate to take Bachmann tension lock couplings.
Sorry to highjack your thread, Coach.

No problem Dave. I was glad of the link to your very neat 7mm Barnums. I knew I had seen green seats somewhere before. I'm hoping you made a guess (!!!) as I cannot get the roof off my coach now to repaint my maroon seats....;)

WOW... That is a belter Coach.

And you've shown how to make the most of a Jidenco/Falcon to boot which is even better.

GCR coaches just seem to have "something" about them which makes them look doubly gorgeous B)

• RMweb Premium

No problem Dave. I was glad of the link to your very neat 7mm Barnums. I knew I had seen green seats somewhere before. I'm hoping you made a guess (!!!) as I cannot get the roof off my coach now to repaint my maroon seats....;)

No guesswork on my part, the friend I built them for remembered them as having green upholstery. I'm afraid I can't ask him now, as sadly he died earlier this year.

I've seen a photo of a superb Gauge 1 model, with the sides made from close-grained timber. I think it was in a Modellers Backtrack.

I cant quite tell from the photos, but are the sides in your kit totally vertical? The pre-formed sides in the GP kits sloped inwards very slightly from the base of the windows to the roofline, and were vertical below the windows.

Its difficult to judge from the prototype photos, if there is a slope its very slight.

Your finished coach looks a beauty,

All the best,

Dave

Hi Dave,

I cheated and ignored the slight inward 'lean' from the waist upwards even though I knew it should be there. It starts very close to the windows and the trouble with etchings is the brass does not know the difference between a half-etched fold line and a half-etched plank or window bolection unless the artist has made provision for a fold. I'm annoyed at myself with the seats but will have to live with the mistake.

Archived