RMweb

A job for the R.N./ F.A.A.,and the R.A.F .

Ceptic

The locomotives that used to haul the Boulogne-Paris boat trains were gas turbine powered. They sounded fantastic - but were a little thirsty by all accounts.

As for the Harriers - well, I'm not sure really. There's nothing to replace them!

Seem to remember reading BR tried out a jet engine back in the 50s and it wasn't very effective.

Ah....but this time, the jet engine would be vertical....aaand, more portable, i.e useful for roads, rails and airports

Jet engines have been used for snow clearing, all it does is make the snow into water, which then refreezes into ice making the problem even worse :yahoo_mini:

Ah, yes, but, this time, the hot / very warm vertical downdraught would disperse the melted snow / water droplets to either side, and forward, hopefully providing a drying path, behind.

I've seen this in action before, when F.A.A. Wessex Whirlwind helicopters were used to dry out the very wet, main runway at H.M.S. Daedalus, Lee-on-the-Solent, prior to a motoring event (Drag racing) there.

• RMweb Premium

Ah, yes, but, this time, the hot / very warm vertical downdraught would disperse the melted snow / water droplets to either side, and forward, hopefully providing a drying path, behind.

Glad you put 'hopefully', as mentioned before it doesn't work :nea_mini: , the water refreezes and makes it worse :chok_mini:

Also I've a feeling the "hover time" on a Harrier is very limited because of the high fuel consumption - in this mode the wings aren't contributing to lift and the plane is effectively a rocket.

I also have a vague recollection that the engine requires extra cooling using water during a hover, and that only a couple of minutes worth is carried (unless you are Arnie, in which case you can hover a Harrier for about 10 minutes whilst shooting up office blocks and fights with Art Malik).

Archived