Building Isinglass kits

• RMweb Premium

Transfer from another thread in anticipation of more responses! Thanks to replies already received.:D

Has anyone built either of the above vans and if so, what is your 'difficulty' rating (say) compared to a Comet or Fozard kit or any other of the etched products on the market?

I have not had the opportunity to build an Isinglass kit yet.

My reason for asking is that a very nice lady has asked if I might try soldering these (they would seem to come with a pre rolled brass roof) up for her and I don't want to offer unless they are well within my skill range. :unsure:

Many thanks in anticipation,

Phil @ 36E.

P.S. Merry modelling time everyone!

At least by the fifth one you will be able to claim to be an expert.

It is amazing how much easier a kit build becomes when you have built one before and managed to get a little bit inside the kit designer's mind.

Not built one myself but with a pre-rolled roof it cannot be that bad and far better than a plastic substitute. I find that nearly all the problems with kits such as these lie below the solebar (ie brake configurations and representative parts)

Are you sure you're not mixing up Isinglass and Five 79, Phil? Matt Chivers (Five 79) kits are the etched ones which used to be in Roger's range. I've built a couple (see the GC fish van on my WB thread and also on the LNER forum) and they solder up pretty well. I had to make some changes to the kit as supplied and in some ways they show their age but you can make a very nice model quite quickly from them.

I haven't yet built any Isinglass kits (I'm waiting for his GC CCT); you'd have to ask Paul (Worsdell) about them.

• RMweb Premium

Are you sure you're not mixing up Isinglass and Five 79, Phil? Matt Chivers (Five 79) kits are the etched ones which used to be in Roger's range. I've built a couple (see the GC fish van on my WB thread and also on the LNER forum) and they solder up pretty well. I had to make some changes to the kit as supplied and in some ways they show their age but you can make a very nice model quite quickly from them.

I haven't yet built any Isinglass kits (I'm waiting for his GC CCT); you'd have to ask Paul (Worsdell) about them.

Yes I am mixing them up - DOH!!!:huh:

Cheers J.

Now I'll have to go in the freezing loft and dig out my LWB CCT and make a judgement on that!

Phil

Archived