Western region 15xx

• RMweb Gold

They were the penultimate GWR design of pannier tank although they didn't appear until 1949 and thus always wore BR black livery although three (1503-5 ) were at one time lined out in mixed traffic style lining, allegedly because their use on Paddington ecs kept them in the public eye. they were designed as '24 hour shunting engines' with the outside valve gear avoiding the need for them to go over a pit for oiling and, as you've seen, presented quite an austere appearance with no footplating etc.

They had a very short wheelbase and a nasty reputation for rough riding as a consequence; they were also allegedly known for demolishing ground signals - no doubt a consequence of their considerable overhang and the outside cylinders. They were mainly concentrated at ld Oak Common where they were used more or less exclusively on Paddington ecs - not exactly what might have been expected of a '24hr shunting loco' although a couple moved out at one time to Southall and Didcot and a number spent time at various sheds in South Wales several although I think most gravitated back to Old Oak.

I always thought they were rather attractive engines and definitely a change from the usual panniers. Oddly I knew - after the engines had been long gone - a number of men who must have worked on them but apart from the rough ride they never seemed to get the criticism the 94XXs received from many London area men.

Guest dilbert

An outside cylinder (ex)GWR Pannier is indeed a rarity - there are a couple of interesting photos in Russell's GW Engines Vol 2...

Curiously, Russell states the following :

This particular engine has been successfully modelled in 5" gauge live steam by many people. Nicknamed 'Speedy' it performs as well in model size as ir did in the full size locomotive...

Does this reflection about the model loco extend to the 1:1 equivalent in effectively demolishing ground signals (as per SM's post)...? B)

They had a very short wheelbase and a nasty reputation for rough riding as a consequence; they were also allegedly known for demolishing ground signals - no doubt a consequence of their considerable overhang and the outside cylinders.

...dilbert

• RMweb Gold

Didn't a couple end up at a pit near Coventry? Either Coventry or the near-by Homefire plant.

I saw 1501 working at Coventry Colliery in the late 1960's. Three were used there, 1501/1502/1509. They worked trains between the colliery at Keresley and the Covenrty - Nuneaton line at Three Spires Junction. They were disposed of in 1970 I think. The Warwickshire Railways website has details and pictures of many of the Coventry Colliery locos.

• RMweb Gold

My Ian Allan combined volume for late 1948 shows numbers 1500-1529 for this class so presumably 1500 to 1509 were to be followed by 20 more. Anyone know why and when the order for these were cancelled?

The RCTS history doesn't make any reference to cancelled orders for more and from what can be made out from the readily accessible Swindon Lot numbers there isn't much to suggest that there were more orders or prospective orders.

....They had a very short wheelbase and a nasty reputation for rough riding as a consequence; .....

Wheelbase was just 12' 10" or thereabouts, so the thing would apparently "see-saw bounce" if wound up to a reasonable speed.

I saw 1501 working at Coventry Colliery in the late 1960's. Three were used there, 1501/1502/1509. They worked trains between the colliery at Keresley and the Covenrty - Nuneaton line at Three Spires Junction. They were disposed of in 1970 I think. The Warwickshire Railways website has details and pictures of many of the Coventry Colliery locos.

------>Here you go....!

I read that all three were bought by the group that took 1501 to the SVR, but 1502 and 1509 then had their useable parts removed to provide spares for 1501, and the remaining hulks were then sold on again for scrap.

Nowadays, probably more likely that all three would have survived since the technology / techniques have evolved to be able to save even basket cases.

Apparently they used to waddle violently from side to side when dropping down from the top of the engine and carriage line flyover at Old Oak, especially in the up direction as it was a longer run. If they were given clear signals they could coast all the way into Paddington.

I'm sure I'm not the only one on here who would love to hear more about the OP's kit and it's progress...;)

Nidge

Thanks for the infomation :) its a western region loco that really fascinates because its so different from other GWR engines. The 15xx that came to south wales does anyone know which locos came down this way? Well if the 5 inch gauge is this powerful the full size must have been have been a good work horse :) Anymore pictures of the 15xx would be great and of 1503 especially would be really helpful

Thanks again

:)

...I would love to do one in 2mm scale oneday (I also have the drawings for a 7 1/4" gauge one too!)....

Some of us would like to have a go in 4mm scale as well....

I think the boiler is the same as that on the 94xx and 2251 classes (Standard no.10?), albeit with a shorter smokebox.

Archived