Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

GRANBY JUNCTION - Shunting Siphons for the Up Parcels with a Manor!

john dew

• RMweb Gold

One long train proceeding majestically slow would be my choice John.  Behind the Star.

Full brake leading of course.  There is something powerful about a full brake at the head of a passenger rake.  I too will be warping the start date of the Hawksworths to suit myself......

I have some Southern vans, and plenty of LMS vans and passenger stock, but I can't see myself justifying a single green coach.

I know I have shown off my detailed and weathered BR N1, but that will appear on a certain Auction site when I get home next year, and will certainly not touch my rails.

Thanks for the likes gentlemen and thank you MIB and the guys who agreed for making up my mind!

I always wince a bit using the Hawksworth Brake....but I agree it does look good leading. I thought it was inevitable Hornby would announce a K40 after my conversion.......but not so far

Apart from following the Rugby (what a bizarre game) I have been delving into a working timetable for the GWR NW area (Wolverhampton-Birkenhead/Manchester) for 1946.......... absolutely fascinating... never seen one before! I was surprised how many passenger trains were listed for both Birkenhead and Manchester......I suppose they were split at Chester....or even Granby!

Hope you have a safe and productive trip

Regards

John

Edited by john dew

• RMweb Gold

Charford.

Many thanks

I had to google that one.....I was looking for a South Coast resort......but I see its part of Bromsgrove. So that is where Southampton or Bournemouth  GWR trains would be split? So much to learn....so little time

Kind regards

John

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks

I had to google that one.....I was looking for a South Coast resort......but I see its part of Bromsgrove. So that is where Southampton or Bournemouth  GWR trains would be split? So much to learn....so little time

Kind regards

John

John, perhaps my one-word post was slightly too economical.

Charford was located on the Dorset Coast where the real Charmouth is to be found.

The Charford Branch was built by John Charman whilst in the RAF and was a very small portable terminus that could be operated very realistically. Later it grew to fill a spare room.

For many of us who cut our teeth on the Railway Modeller in the 1960s it was one of those layouts that made an impression that has never left us.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

John, perhaps my one-word post was slightly too economical.

Charford was located on the Dorset Coast where the real Charmouth is to be found.

The Charford Branch was built by John Charman whilst in the RAF and was a very small portable terminus that could be operated very realistically. Later it grew to fill a spare room.

For many of us who cut our teeth on the Railway Modeller in the 1960s it was one of those layouts that made an impression that has never left us.

A beautiful part of the country, not far from Hintock and Port Bredy. 

• RMweb Gold

I came very late to modelling. The first copy of Railway Modeller that I ever saw was in W H Smiths in Vancouver in the early Nineties!

But now the penny has dropped I can see how Charford  was a logical and rather elegant suggestion to replace Penhayle Bay......many thanks!

Regards

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As mentioned above  I have downloaded some 1947 GWR working timetables for the Wolverhampton-Birkenhead region. The site is, for me, an absolute treasure trove.......http://www.michaelclemensrailways.co.uk/. Even after  only a couple of hours browsing I feel I have a far better understanding of how complex timetabling must have been

Its taken me a while to sort out......so far I havent found any through trains from Birkenhead to Plymouth or even Bristol which I find surprising. I am probably looking in the wrong places. There was however a daily train to Bournemouth departing Manchester at 8.35 am and Birkenhead at a more civilised 9.20 am

It was interesting how many passenger trains had joint terminii....Birkenhead and Manchester. Granby with is elastic location makes the perfect junction.

As you may have guessed from my signature bar I am an RR&Co addict. I enjoy developing automatic routines for my timetable.

The arrival at Granby of the Up West Country express presents some great opportunities.

At the rear of the train I can add a couple of through coaches from Manchester that had previously arrived attached to the regular Manchester - Granby service.

At the front of th train I may devise a loco exchange.....perhaps not entirely credible but I like to alternate my Castles, County and Star.

However the current project is to doublehead the train over Granby Viaduct.

Mike (Stationmaster) has written a couple of very helpful detailed explanations of GWR practice in relation to assisting engines. Note how I carefully avoided the use of the word pilot!.

Contrary to a widely held belief I now know that the GWR did not require the assisting engine to be inserted behind the train engine, Provided it matched specified wheel arrangements the assisting engine could lead.........great news for me it makes the automatic routine so much simpler

Even better a 4-4-0 can assist a 4-6-0 from the front

post-465-0-81112600-1480614994_thumb.jpg

A pristine 9003 waits in the loco spur for the arrival of its train (the 9.20 from Woodside?). Technically a member of the Earl Class but known to all as a Dukedog.

Very appropriate loco for Granby located on the edge of Cambrian country

post-465-0-86742700-1480615011_thumb.jpg

Mating a Bachmann loco with one from Hornby was probably not the best idea......talk about a colour contrast.

With RR&Co the actual mating (consisting?) is very very simple......one single command and the locos are completely synchronised. Its quite captivating to watch the contrasting wheel arrangements working in unison

Has to be my next video

post-465-0-84968200-1480615029_thumb.jpg

I can work wonders with RR&Co but sadly I cannot change head codes. I wonder which is the greater sin. Lamps on both locos or have the Star attempt to enter Granby without lamps?

I still have to work out how to get the Dukedog back but as the train is a roundy roundy I think I will just uncouple in the storage area and after a decent interval let it continue on its way to Granby light engine albeit now with the wrong head code and no tail lamp.

post-465-0-90356400-1480615058_thumb.jpg

I quite like this shot but I forgot about how obvious the kadee magnet looks when its not hidden by the rake of carriages I removed to "improve" the view!

Regards to all from a cold crisp Vancouver

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Would love to see that sequence from train arriving and departure on a video when you have the time please John.

Brilliant work.

Thanks for sharing and inspiring.

As mentioned above  I have downloaded some 1947 GWR working timetables for the Wolverhampton-Birkenhead region. The site is, for me, an absolute treasure trove.......http://www.michaelclemensrailways.co.uk/. Even after  only a couple of hours browsing I feel I have a far better understanding of how complex timetabling must have been

Its taken me a while to sort out......so far I havent found any through trains from Birkenhead to Plymouth or even Bristol which I find surprising. I am probably looking in the wrong places. There was however a daily train to Bournemouth departing Manchester at 8.35 am and Birkenhead at a more civilised 9.20 am

It was interesting how many passenger trains had joint terminii....Birkenhead and Manchester. Granby with is elastic location makes the perfect junction.

As you may have guessed from my signature bar I am an RR&Co addict. I enjoy developing automatic routines for my timetable.

The arrival at Granby of the Up West Country express presents some great opportunities.

At the rear of the train I can add a couple of through coaches from Manchester that had previously arrived attached to the regular Manchester - Granby service.

At the front of th train I may devise a loco exchange.....perhaps not entirely credible but I like to alternate my Castles, County and Star.

However the current project is to doublehead the train over Granby Viaduct.

Mike (Stationmaster) has written a couple of very helpful detailed explanations of GWR practice in relation to assisting engines. Note how I carefully avoided the use of the word pilot!.

Contrary to a widely held belief I now know that the GWR did not require the assisting engine to be inserted behind the train engine, Provided it matched specified wheel arrangements the assisting engine could lead.........great news for me it makes the automatic routine so much simpler

Even better a 4-4-0 can assist a 4-6-0 from the front

attachicon.gif5 Dukedog.jpg

A pristine 9003 waits in the loco spur for the arrival of its train (the 9.20 from Woodside?). Technically a member of the Earl Class but known to all as a Dukedog.

Very appropriate loco for Granby located on the edge of Cambrian country

attachicon.gif6 dobleheader.jpg

Mating a Bachmann loco with one from Hornby was probably not the best idea......talk about a colour contrast.

With RR&Co the actual mating (consisting?) is very very simple......one single command and the locos are completely synchronised. Its quite captivating to watch the contrasting wheel arrangements working in unison

Has to be my next video

attachicon.gif7 doubl head.jpg

I can work wonders with RR&Co but sadly I cannot change head codes. I wonder which is the greater sin. Lamps on both locos or have the Star attempt to enter Granby without lamps?

I still have to work out how to get the Dukedog back but as the train is a roundy roundy I think I will just uncouple in the storage area and after a decent interval let it continue on its way to Granby light engine albeit now with the wrong head code and no tail lamp.

attachicon.gif8 B&W.jpg

I quite like this shot but I forgot about how obvious the kadee magnet looks when its not hidden by the rake of carriages I removed to "improve" the view!

Regards to all from a cold crisp Vancouver

Can't have too many pictures of this layout, and these are splendid shots.

Could you check the link you kindly posted, it didn't work for me?

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the likes guys

Cold and crisp didnt last very long.......pouring down and the grand dog ran away in the park.....ugh....not a happy camper

Would love to see that sequence from train arriving and departure on a video when you have the time please John.

Brilliant work.

Thanks for sharing and inspiring.

Hi MIB

As always you are very kind! I am working away on the coach boards and once they are done I can start shooting.

I am all set for the game tomorrow.....invested 6.99 in a sky day pass.....set the alarm for 6 am........with my abysmal record there are no predictions but ......I am hoping for an unbeaten year!

Best wishes

• RMweb Premium

I have an early finish planned for tomorrow night, so fingers crossed.....Only just finished tonight - 11pm here and I usually start at 0615.  Help the time fly to be busy on long days.

Looking forward to seeing that sequence.  I have some spare boards which I think I will add the destination on, and keep to one side.  With a dod of blu-tak I can add them on the clerestories, or other odd stock used to break up the rake.

John, St Enodoc suggested Charford and I agreed recalling it from RM of many years back. It too influenced my thinking on Hintock.

But I had forgotten all about the branch to Bridport. Now that is an idea for it means I can introduce a service from Port Bredy via Hintock and Charford to Yeovil. And it would make a nice working for the Radial and its rake of ex L&SWR coaches.

So thankyou St Enodoc and John for creating the opportunity.

BTW, beautiful cold and sunny day here today. The mountains have a deep covering of snow and look superb.

Regards,

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Can't have too many pictures of this layout, and these are splendid shots.

Could you check the link you kindly posted, it didn't work for me?

Thanks James thats very kind of you.

Sorry about the link some extraneous letters appear to have got got added......this should work    http://www.michaelclemensrailways.co.uk.......if it doesnt google Michael Clemens Railways

Its a great site.......I downloaded the GWR passenger summer timetables for 1947 last night. I was delighted to discover that I had guessed correctly with my imaginary West Country Express.

You could actually get on the 9.20 at Birkenhead in 1947 and travel direct to Plymouth or Penzance or Bournemouth.......always provided you got in the correct carriage of course.

Kind Regards

• RMweb Premium

But I had forgotten all about the branch to Bridport. Now that is an idea for it means I can introduce a service from Port Bredy via Hintock and Charford to Yeovil. And it would make a nice working for the Radial and its rake of ex L&SWR coaches.

What a great idea! Glad I was able to jog your memory.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all the likes guys

Cold and crisp didnt last very long.......pouring down and the grand dog ran away in the park.....ugh....not a happy camper

Hi MIB

As always you are very kind! I am working away on the coach boards and once they are done I can start shooting.

I am all set for the game tomorrow.....invested 6.99 in a sky day pass.....set the alarm for 6 am........with my abysmal record there are no predictions but ......I am hoping for an unbeaten year!

Best wishes

I will be on an overnight flight tonight so will miss the game - John, please PM me with the result and a report!

• RMweb Gold

I have an early finish planned for tomorrow night, so fingers crossed.....Only just finished tonight - 11pm here and I usually start at 0615.  Help the time fly to be busy on long days.

Looking forward to seeing that sequence.  I have some spare boards which I think I will add the destination on, and keep to one side.  With a dod of blu-tak I can add them on the clerestories, or other odd stock used to break up the rake.

I am also fiddling around trying to break up the rakes and create that authentic GWR look. Have to say it goes against the grain.....Tallest on the right....shortest on the left  etc

Using RTR stock I only have Collet Bow ends and two versions of Sunshine to play around with......I think a Stanier LMS will not look out of place

I have a couple of Hornby Celestories  but I am inclined to think they wouldnt have been be on main line expresses in 1947/8? I have them penciled in on my Cambrian Barmouth rake.

What do you , and any one else think?

Best wishes

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

John,

I too have the same RTRs, and already have a couple of Stanniers' equivalents.  I think my Hawksworth rake will be unaltered, but the rest will be joined, or should I say become disorganised by the odd restaurant or clerestory.

I have 4 colour schemes for them (C&C, dull brown, Austerity and a very run down lake one - definitely "summer excursion only" stock) and have seen enough photos of them in mainline use in this period, in all four schemes.  Especially in the summer when there was a strain on the coaching stock.

My only non RTR based stock is currently a C71 and a C68, which will go a long way when clerestories and Stanniers are used. 

One day, when the "failed" full brake brass side projects (x 7!) get done, I have 2 more "Opens" to mix it up a little - D130 and C76. Again Comet sides and this time Replica bodies and chassis.

You sound like you have enough there to mix it up.

Edited by M.I.B

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have spent the last week setting up Coach Destination Boards for the three Passenger Expresses that I run.....18 coaches in all..

Took far longer than it should have done because, yet again,I couldnt make up my mind about the most realistic formations.

The aim was to create the typical GWR rake where it was rare for two coaches to be the same.......As I wrote earlier using only RTR stock in realistic formations  made it quite difficult 

post-465-0-46049100-1481569689_thumb.jpg

The destinations were printed out using Libre Office......the free alternative suite to Microsoft Office......I prefer it to Word ....it has a wide font selection and smaller font sizes.

The strips were cut out and glued to plastic boards........ Hornby supplied boards with the recently released Collett Bow Ended stock so I used these as a template to cut out boards for my other stock.

Not entirely successfully......They look ok if one applies the three foot rule (which I seem to be doing with increasing frequency)

Close ups show I have my boards a millimeter or so too deep. Doesnt sound much but proportionately its rather obvious.

post-465-0-85638100-1481569700_thumb.jpg

Fortunately they are only secured in place with plasticene......which also shows on occasion icon_redface.gif So I may have another go in the New Year.

The font is Times New Roman, bold, size 7 which I think is a reasonable facsimile

Including Granby is a bit of an indulgence but with so few letters its a useful filler for the long scale 18' board. Proper sign writers spaced out both letters and their width......couldnt get the computor to do that 

post-465-0-83743500-1481569728_thumb.jpg

Most of my GWR carriages are Bachmann models of the Collett Sunshine stock which I bought 15-20 years ago.........the difference in standards between them and the Hornby Hawksworth above is quite marked. There is some question whether these coaches ever appeared in GWR livery........but they are rather elegant..Rule #1   

post-465-0-52375700-1481569744_thumb.jpg

Here is a Collett Bow end sandwiched between a Hawksworth and Collett Sunshine. A good example of my formation dilemmas.......would a bow end coach have actually appeared on the London train in 1948?,

I have decided (I think icon_lol.gif) to split my 5 car rake of Hornby LMS Staniers and now they are being coupled with GWR coaches  I will definitely have to weather their all too pristine rooves

post-465-0-99515300-1481569758_thumb.jpg

LMS used 12' boards. The font I used is Tahoma Bold 7........close up the bold is a bit too strong but no bold was not strong enough.

3' rule and at least I can tell where they are going

post-465-0-24908200-1481569778_thumb.jpg

Font Arial Bold 7. I painted the board edges out, rather appropriately, in Pine Green

Southern used 11' boards ......the length that BR adopted. I do wonder how the GWR guys managed with changing 18' boards, one would think it must have been a two person job.

Southern had brackets on their coaches for two boards. The second space being used for either destinations or the name of the train.

Apparently the " Pines Express" from Manchester to Bournemouth was quite well known.......so maybe Granby can run a named train after all.

Including , of course, a through coach  to my friend and neigbour John Flann's layout.....in Utah

post-465-0-32815800-1481569799_thumb.jpg

The boards are a bit oversize and wavy but en masse and from a distance I think they add to the general atmosphere of Granby

post-465-0-86468900-1481569815_thumb.jpg

It has become my habit to finish with a brief report on weather in Vancouver...........

This says it all

post-465-0-50886700-1481569830_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

John, I like your roof boards and admire your imagination and creativity. They do add that little something.

If I'd seen such a train with coaches for Port Bredy at Birkenhead (WS) on a damp/wet/blowing Mersey day I would have tempted to jump aboard. Even if only so far as my LMR all stations pass would have taken me.

Would you be so kind as to send me an image?

You also referred earlier to Working Timetables and I agree they are so very fascinating. I got hooked on those when young as my late father occasionally brought some home for me.

Light snow here, rain forecast for later.

Edited by john flann

• RMweb Gold

Looks great - far too fiddly a job for me.  I only used the destination board routing from the Smiths printed sheets.

Thanks MIB

I used Smiths a few years ago but found their selection too restrictive for the North West. I think its Sankey who offer a much more flexible range and I probably would have saved time and heart ache if I had used them!

Are you home for Christmas? You must be clocking up the Air Miles.

Best Wishes

John

• RMweb Gold

John, I like your roof boards and admire your imagination and creativity. They do add that little something.

If I'd seen such a train with coaches for Port Bredy at Birkenhead (WS) on a damp/wet/blowing Mersey day I would have tempted to jump aboard. Even if only so far as my LMR all stations pass would have taken me.

Would you be so kind as to send me an image?

You also referred earlier to Working Timetables and I agree they are so very fascinating. I got hooked on those when young as my late father occasionally brought some home for me.

Light snow here, rain forecast for later.

Good Morning John

Glad you liked the boards....I wasnt certain you would approve.....I will email you later today regarding the images.

I find the Working timetables absolutely fascinating.....I am getting all sorts of ideas for Granby when I finally get round to constructing my Timetable

Its bright and sunny here and -7o which is super cold for us. We are only 15 minutes drive from the local ski mountains but are about 400' below the snow line so we get snow on the ground quite infrequently......mostly its rain......in quantity!

Best wishes

John

• RMweb Premium

John - I am out here for the whole period: US Thanksgiving to end of Jan.   My deputy has young grandkids, and I have a senior team member out in the UK with pneumonia.   Their need to be in the UK is far greater than mine.

I have some models to make/finish when i get time, and I smuggled in a half bottle of 12 year old singlemalt (forgotten which one I think it's Talisker) and some British edibles as well as a copy of the Great Escape on DVD to show in the Ops Room at 3pm.

So we can all have one dram and a mince pie and hope that Steve McQueen makes it over this time.

• Like 1