GRANBY JUNCTION - Shunting Siphons for the Up Parcels with a Manor!

john dew

• RMweb Gold
On 01/04/2016 at 10:12, john flann said:

It just seemed a little odd as a dairy /creamery being located in Granby itself rather than being primarily a bottling plant.

Thanks John.......I should have made it clearer that the creamery is not in Granby itself, rather it is on the lower level branch line at Cynwyd which is supposed to be in the verdant Vale of Clwyd. In fairness urban creep has rather obscured the verdant bit

More progress with the dairy.........but I do hope the GWR experts who frequent ANTB will not be too bored and persevere to the train bit at the end.......I need some help with brake vans

All the dairy wall components have now been glued together

This is the rail side frontage

2001862317_1Railside.jpg.667216abc7ca2f6a3ef2ba8743aa7f46.jpg

Churns with fresh milk from the farms are on the receiving bay........a guy moving them is just being painted.

Very little of the despatch area to the right will be visible because it will be screened off.......but 3 plastic wine corks sprayed silver will hopefully suggest whats going on

727278694_2Reverse.jpg.d63db36209b6481ae306b79d6cf1078c.jpg

The reverse side..........the cut line ( mis-measurementhttp://yourmodelrailway.net/images/emoticons/icon_redface.gif] will eventually  be hidden by a drain pipe.

I find it is quite tricky getting sharp corners using Slaters plasticard . I did think of using Wills ingenious corner quoins but felt that they wouldnt suit the character of the building. My solution is to mount the plastic flush on the backing card on one wall and leave it a few mm proud on the other........once the building is set up I carve the surplus off with a scalpel blade and then paint out the raw edges.......these shots show the corners still unfinishedhttp://yourmodelrailway.net/images/emoticons/icon_lol.gif

Here is the gable end

1516104349_3Gable.jpg.c4107c4819a946575fa75ae90074b4ed.jpg

At first sight McPeters may sound an unlikely name for a dairy in North Wales. Any resemblance between the fictional owner of this dairy and a a good friend on another forum (YMR) is entirely coincidental.http://yourmodelrailway.net/images/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

2004877877_4office.jpg.5177fb876c55d4c56729f1f1fb70360a.jpg

To be serious....for a moment .......I would really appreciate advice/comment on the font I am using for the dairy signs.  The signs have yet to be weathered. The intent is to have them look as though they were installed no later then the mid thirties and have not yet been repainted.

I originally looked at more elaborate fonts like Century but when I googled "Nineteen Thirties Fonts" the fonts displayed were far more simplified........the intro credits to Poirot or the GWR shirt button are good examples.  So I selected HP simplified from Office Libre.

Seeing it on the building I am not entirely convinced, so any comments/suggestions will be most appreciated

Now moving on to railway operations. The last post had the two milk tankers from the dairy arriving at Granby to await the arrival of the daily 2.30pm milk train from Shrewsbury

Here we see the train hauled by 6818 Hardwick Grange approaching Granby Junction.

952255405_5MilkTrain.jpg.9e043b349b374e1f0e5d65d81d59a263.jpg

My Milk train routine will not be a roundy roundy. The down train, seen above, will stop at Granby and two filled tankers added to the head of the train. It will then proceed  to Birkehead ( the storage sidings )  where a loco exchange will take place. Thus a different loco will take the empty up train back in the reverse direction. The two empty tankers from the dairy will now be in the rear of the train and easily dropped off into a trailing siding at Granby.

Fortunately, I believe it was common practice for the Brake Van not to be situated at the very end of the train. Automatically changing the loco in the storage siding is tricky enough ......changing the location of the Brake Van would be too much!

1389227560_6Brakevan.jpg.5d44d059d82bfcafadfd49d8d38323e5.jpg

I do have a problem however with the brake van that I use and again suggestions comments would be very much appreciated.

There are no GWR RTR brake vans available other than the fictional Hawksworth which somehow does not look right anyway.......too long

I have tried Sunshine and Celestory Brake thirds but again wasnt too happy

Currently I am using a Ratio 4 wheel coach with Shirescenes sides.

1632116336_7Brakevan.jpg.281a3757f86079ef9d5649c4468d13f7.jpg

It runs well but somehow it seems a little flimsy with a rake of up to 10 x 6 wheel tankers.

I have LMS Stanier brakes and a 6 wheel stove pipe. The Shrewsbury-Birkenhead line is wholly or at least in part a joint GWR LMS line......would it be wholly out of the question to have a GWR loco and an LMS Brake Van?

While I wait patiently for Hornby to produce a Collet Bow End full brake.........what is the least unlikely van I can use in the meantime?

1386063272_8BW.jpg.17e1cebff0f34264f305c940dd375507.jpg

Best wishes from a rather wet Vancouver

John

Edited by john dew
5/12/22 Photos
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

You need to put some Comet sides on an old Railroad Collett for a K40John.

Thanks Rob......I was afraid that might be the case.......I guess there is a first time for everything.....even at my age!

Cheers

John

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rob......I was afraid that might be the case.......I guess there is a first time for everything.....even at my age!

Cheers

John

Actually I'm talking rubbish as the K40 was a 60' and the Collett was a 57' so you need an old B set instead (Airfix).A K42 would need the full kit as it had flat ends apposed to bow end.

• RMweb Premium

Comet sides onto RTR need Evostick - Araldite went badly wrong for mine.  I know you frequent my pages John, so  I add this warning for visitors to your pages who need to be warned as well.

I love the milk brake you have.  Common to find one in the middle of a train as parts of it were quickly joined to make a longer train.  Very prototypical.

The other option is a kit version of the O13 milk brake.   Blacksmith made it.  I picked up an unmade kit quite quickly after asking around.  Or even put a search onto Ebay for "O13" - you may get a completed one turn up.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I revisited the relevant pages on New Cranford and I am afraid they confirmed my fears.......I dont have the skill or patience to do all that cutting and shutting to a standard that will prevent the finished article standing out like a sore thumb amongt my RTR stock. I did a search on EBay but it was mostly merry junk apart from some eye watering examples of Larry's craftsmanship.......at even more eye watering prices.

I guess I will have to keep looking ........I am a little more confident about the Ratio/Shirescenes four wheeler after your endorsement MIB.....you are a gentleman sir!

I guess if you want to really wind me up Rob you can post a picture on ANTB of your stunning brake (its even featured in GWR org) in a train with double headed prairies :jester:

• RMweb Gold

If you're talking about your excellent K40 Rob, I'm going to need a 'disagree' button

I was talking about this K42 I built a few years ago now.

post-126-0-97306900-1459969046.jpeg

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

You can tell from the light on the photos below that we have had gorgeous weather here for the last two weeks...... so modeling progress has been somewhat glacial http://yourmodelrailway.net/images/emoticons/icon_lol.gif

A sub roof gives further rigidity and additional support gables have been added........plus a couple of Monty's Models figures

1793592474_1Overall.jpg.2c26b51dc87d1d40cb7446b787704e7f.jpg

1006041119_3Porter.jpg.096f1472f79d468faacfdb7db45905fc.jpg

This guy is of course intended to be a porter but I have changed the livery to make him look more like one of the lorry drivers. I now understand that his pose is absolutely realistic. Apparently the top of each churn was opened on delivery and the contents sniffed by the equivalent of a tea taster. The churn could have survived a two hour journey on the back of a lorry. On a hot summers day even a siphon on a slow branch train would have been less than ideal. 10 gallons of "off milk" would ruin the days work

1793820758_2Officeman.jpg.b0eb3005ca8d2f7f70316f071bdbb2f4.jpg

Now I want to make it clear that this rather portly gentleman is definitely not intended to represent Mr McPeter! Montys describe him as an Insurance agent......but to me he has the self satisfied look of  "the man from the ministry". http://yourmodelrailway.net/images/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Now to the roof. I know there is a widely held convention that one shouldnt mix media. By and large I adhere to this, but not when it comes to roofing. Wills sheets are amazingly hard to join in a convincing manner and although I have used Slaters sheet tiling I dont think they are outstanding (rather more to the point I dont have any left!).

So its the tried and tested Scalescene routine:

135284732_4Roof.jpg.9e79c959b6376f3fc8d41a1b4954a661.jpg

A not unpleasant job on a hot and sunny day.

It takes a fair bit of time though. I could paste the sheet on direct but I prefer to cut each strip of tiling and blacken the cut edge with a felt tip

All the tools of the trade are set out below

695200877_5Roof2.jpg.9433857b4a97231a2508695ae5512130.jpg

I am going to insert some industrial chimneys/ventilators so I have precut apertures and added flashing.

Operationally I left you with the Milk Train from Shrewsbury approaching Granby over the viaduct. The train has now arrived on the principal Down platform

Here you can see the locomotive 6818 Hardwick Grange preparing to uncouple and draw clear so that the two loaded tankers from Cynwyd can be added to the train.

This is, perhaps, not very prototypical but, as I explained last post, this makes it far easier to drop the empty tankers from the tail on the return trip.

I am still contemplating a loco xchange to the Down train and this would make a head of train attachment more credible. I guess this would involve the tankers from the branch being attached to the relief loco rather than the station pilot......decisions,decisions

1747119753_8Grange.jpg.eef26fea716258ff77692fc8ee464454.jpg

This is one of my photo stacking experiments...still on the free trial!...I still have a lot to learn but I am relatively pleased with all three of these loco shots. Comments are always welcome

For now, here is the Station Pilot with the two loaded tankers waiting in the main head shunt with the Goods Warehouse in the background

616348816_7PilotBW.jpg.7b3efb330e953eaf375f2d0cd7209012.jpg

Finally a close up

1912139520_9Pilot2_edited-1.jpg.e7f6c48660f0edade4d0daab8bc845f1.jpg

I have always been fond of Collets........I think they are perhaps the most elegant of the 0-6-0 work horses. Although in fairness this particular horse required a great deal of encouragement to work properly.....tender pick ups and added weight in the cab and boiler wherever I could find room!

Regards from Vancouver where we are still bathed in brilliant sunshine.

John

Edited by john dew
5/12/22 Photos
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

John, have been looking out for an update, so don't know how I missed it.  The dairy is coming on really well and looks spot on.  May I ask, what did you use for the coping on the wall to the steps?  A nice touch.

• RMweb Gold

John, have been looking out for an update, so don't know how I missed it.  The dairy is coming on really well and looks spot on.  May I ask, what did you use for the coping on the wall to the steps?  A nice touch.

Hi James .....thank you. The coping stones are from one of Wills building packs.....On one sprue there are drain pipes,gutters,barge boards,coping stones, chimney pots etc........very useful

I have been a Scalescene convert for some years now but I still have all these bits and pieces left from my plastic period. Having said that, I do think that  there are some plastic elements that will always enhance a card model 

Kind Regards

John

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for all the likes etc ......as always much appreciated.

I am getting behind with my updates......the older I get the faster time seems to fly by. So this is a brief progress report.....no loco shots today..... not even a pannier :O

The dairy building is pretty much finished. It just needs a bit more weathering and the site preparing on the layout

590605468_1Front.jpg.6fd864f44d8f146391e335191a22667a.jpg

Bargeboards, guttering and drainpipes have been added using Evergreen plastics.

Hopefully no dairy expert will question too closely the exact purpose of the various chimneys and ventilators!

Here is the rear view.......one would need to be a contortionist to see this side on the layout

1039471419_2Rear.jpg.8a44836219901d891982fcdf044593b8.jpg

and from the lineside

274255939_3Platform.jpg.c2287026d4511cb624e6412a19c1eb6c.jpg

The lean-to was quite a common feature. It was designed to shield the tanker loading bay from the steam wash and coal store on the adjacent siding.

Talking of which........the next stage in the project:

2004053571_4Boilerhouse.jpg.565cc04ac15c36da9ae519b38bc15ace.jpg

A rather unimposing collection.....reminds me of those reality TV shows Mrs D insists on watching; when the contestants are handed assorted tacky objects and given 15 minutes to turn them into a model of the Taj Mahal

From the left a really really old Metcalfe factory chimney and boiler house from Granby I which I hope to clad with Slaters Brick sheets

In the foreground some Wills plate girders rescued from a road bridge on Granby II which will be converted into a water tank.

To the right Ratio's very useful timber merchant kit, also from Granby II. This will be modified to make the steam wash shed.

Definitely not the Taj Mahal but hopefully some useful ancillary buildings to complete the project

Regards from another sunny day in Vancouver

John

Edited by john dew
5/12/22 Photos
  • Like 8

Great to see the dairy complete.  A first class job and the design/composition is spot on for me; attractive, charming and convincing.  Bravo!

And, of course, very interested to learn what you do with the assortment with which you ended the post.

Reason I asked about the coping is because I found I needed some, but bodged it with some Scalescenes brick paper and a cocktail stick sliced in two! Yours much more professional! 

post-25673-0-13239500-1462040192_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

What a treat.  I get set up, log in, and the first post is this excellent dairy.  Brilliant John.   Your buildings are just so good.     Pipes and chimneys - Rule 1 applies.

• RMweb Gold

Great to see the dairy complete.  A first class job and the design/composition is spot on for me; attractive, charming and convincing.  Bravo!

And, of course, very interested to learn what you do with the assortment with which you ended the post.

Reason I asked about the coping is because I found I needed some, but bodged it with some Scalescenes brick paper and a cocktail stick sliced in to! Yours much more professional! 

Thank you once again James......that is indeed very kind of you.

I think you are too hard on yourself regarding your Scalescene coping stones. To my eye they look totally convincing, particularly when one remembers the building is just a relatively minor component of Castle Aching

For those of you unfamiliar with James's "Castle Aching" thread I can thoroughly recommend it. A delightful meandering thread through the by ways and country lanes of Norfolk in Edwardian (naturally) times

Kind Regards

John

John, thank you, you are far too kind.

I really, really, like that dairy.  Among its merits is the skilful way that you have harmoniously combined different media, including plastic card and printed roofing texture.  I also like the figures.  Just right.

• RMweb Gold

What a treat.  I get set up, log in, and the first post is this excellent dairy.  Brilliant John.   Your buildings are just so good.     Pipes and chimneys - Rule 1 applies.

Delighted I brightened your day..........I guess its pretty hot there right now?

Pity we are not in the same country....you do the rolling stock and I do the buildings!

Have a safe trip

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

John milk trains were run en-block, tankers were from the same dairy which is a pity as they are a nice splash of colour, unless of course rule 1 is invoked. 

Your dairy is very good they seem to be popular on GWR layouts I will be posting up my dairy complex soon I'm just waiting for the garage to warm up a bit.

• RMweb Premium

Delighted I brightened your day..........I guess its pretty hot there right now?

Pity we are not in the same country....you do the rolling stock and I do the buildings!

Have a safe trip

John

30 today and getting warmer by the day......

I think your idea would be perfect.  As long as you keep me away from Tim Hortons - I have no willpower in there.

Best wishes,

• RMweb Premium

John milk trains were run en-block, tankers were from the same dairy which is a pity as they are a nice splash of colour, unless of course rule 1 is invoked. 

Your dairy is very good they seem to be popular on GWR layouts I will be posting up my dairy complex soon I'm just waiting for the garage to warm up a bit.

Disagree.  Don't mean to sound rude, but plenty of photos of mixed PO trains alongside the mundane tanks.  Brakes in the middle where 3 short trains were joined to make 1. 

The block part is right - the return was the reverse, with the Brakes staying put and beoing dropped with the sub component trains to support the return up branch lines.