RMweb

GRANBY JUNCTION - Shunting Siphons for the Up Parcels with a Manor!

john dew

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mullie glad you like the shots.

Definitely a trip to add to ones bucket list.

I should have added the roads were of a generally good standard and my English friend had no problem driving both there and later on Vancouver Island

Cheers

John

• RMweb Gold

Very nice John - alas probably a bit too far west if a potential short visit (at someone else's expense) to Canada comes off next year.

Thanks Mike

Sadly you are probably correct......I think its a five hour flight to Vancouver from Toronto........mind you "someone else" might think you should see more of Canada in which case jump at the chance

Best Wishes

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely stunning (not the wine); what beautiful mountains. I'm in awe. Makes Nottinghamshire look very, very ordinary.

ATB from a mild 36E

Phil 

Thanks Phil

The wine was quite stunning (in the best possible way) but more on that later today.

I am used to the Mountains on the West Coast but the Rockies were something else again. Awesome is an over used word but very apt in this case

Best Wishes

John

ps I will get that PBV finished......I promise

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mike

Sadly you are probably correct......I think its a five hour flight to Vancouver from Toronto........mind you "someone else" might think you should see more of Canada in which case jump at the chance

Best Wishes

'Someone else' will not be accompanying me (and she's been to Washington state anyway so not so much novelty for her).  However it is still far from settled if the trip will come off, I think it all depends on getting the right signal to GO if you understand my meaning ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

'Someone else' will not be accompanying me (and she's been to Washington state anyway so not so much novelty for her).  However it is still far from settled if the trip will come off, I think it all depends on getting the right signal to GO if you understand my meaning ;)

I hope the trip comes off particularly the Western option. Do let me know......I will need to advance signalling on my lengthy to do list! 

Kind Regards 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks again for the comments and likes guys. There is no doubt Canada is a beautiful country. On the west coast we get a bit blase about mountains and water views but I have to admit the Rockies took my breath away.

Now as promised......a change of pace.....the Okanagan Wine country.

When we arrived in Vancouver, 35 years ago, BC wine was nothing special but it has improved dramatically and the better wines now command premium prices. There must be now nearly 100 wineries surrounding Okanagan Lake.

They come in all shapes and sizes from the workaday :

2005395045_1WineDangelo.jpg.38b4574f840adcdfbd7a488f33463218.jpg

to buildings that wouldnt look out of place in Napa Valley California:

1687887117_6Tower.jpg.7b21751a473ebc4a2925f4e8a3edf493.jpg

1808002752_4MissionHill.jpg.4f3d0e9521af55e5f3c7afb93d973da2.jpg

222773135_5Statues.jpg.0b31b447a2a5670ec7d518b3c820681c.jpg

The three shots above were taken at Mission Hill the winery that William and Kate visited on tuesday. As you can see it is all very spick and span......it rather reminded me of my army days just before the General's visit......stand still for too long and you are likely to be painted white!

Personally I preferred the more relaxed ambiance of Quails Gate:

487096918_2Quailsgate.jpg.8006feb602aa583c5e40a13f0e20f97d.jpg

1830076100_3Quailsgate.jpg.bd685933b79f74418cf2d7f2b00b3630.jpg

More importantly their wine is at least as good and much cheaper!

For sheer irreverence of the entire wine mystique you cant beat this place:

455892622_7DirtyLaundry.jpg.77a356fb590dda2e33fa93892eafee55.jpg

Many wineries have displays of antique wine making equipment. Mission Hill have priceless works of art........these guys have:

1372137745_8mangles.jpg.711a17fc395e817dd54d6208cda33380.jpg

A display of old laundry machinery!

Legend has it that during the gold rush the town laundry fronted as a brothel.....hence the name,

No surprise to see how the winetasting bar is set up:

812665896_9Winetasting.jpg.70300bf97488e66649a39ae0872ed881.jpg

The wine isnt too bad either and we had a very pleasant lunch on a shaded patio overlooking the vineyards

881299726_10Lunch.jpg.3bea6d3d108a58c8836040345f7e0990.jpg

1518567993_11vines.jpg.1917466fd87babba056e96fec3e39b4d.jpg

and now.......a rather laborious attempt to introduce something about a railway.

This is a close up of the vineyard shot

334787555_12xing.jpg.8927a34f604867ba4cb218b4a510e58f.jpg

[

The cross marks a level crossing and you can just see signs of the cutting through which the Kettle Valley Heritage Railway runs

Hope you enjoyed the travelogue......next post proper modelling

Regards from a still sunny Vancouver

John

Edited by john dew
7/11/22 Photos
  • Like 6

The three shots above were taken at Mission Hill the winery that William and Kate visited on tuesday. As you can see it is all very spick and span......it rather reminded me of my army days just before the General's visit......stand still for too long and you are likely to be painted white!

Very much enjoying the tour.

The above comment reminded me of a visit HM Queen made to a regiment out in Germany.  It was autumn and the men had spent days clearing up every last leaf as it fell to make the place look tidy.   On being greeted off her flight, HRH remarked how she loved the time of year with all the piles of fallen leaves, so the urgent call went back to find the bags of leaves and scatter them all over the base!

Just found your holiday snaps. There's no place else quite like the Rocky Mountains! Glad you had a good trip.

And returning to topic I think you are very courageous in your coach bashing adventure and in your revelations. I know my limitations-I'd never even contemplate it..

My regards,

Edited by john flann

• RMweb Gold

Thanks John

It was a very enjoyable trip......and we were lucky with the weather!

I have similar reservations about my coach building skills. Wouldnt have attempted it without the push and much assistance from Phill (Mallard). Its almost done now and, applying the 3' moving target rule it will make my daily milk train look much more credible

Kind Regards

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sunday was Thanksgiving Day in Canada. Some may feel it is rather appropriate that the Passenger Brake Van was finally complete

I confess the delay was, in part, caused by me worrying about my inability to add the finishing touches, door handles and grab handles, in a competent manner http://yourmodelrailway.net/images/emoticons/icon_redface.gif.

To my surprise the door handles, a minute brass etching were relatively easy.....and fortunately there were lots of spares to replace all the ones I screwed up or dropped and lost forever on the floor. 

I had more difficulty with the grab handles which had to be formed from 0.45 mm wire. Rather than getting two crisp 90o bends I tended to get an un-prototypical curved shape. I guess I should have tried to make some sort of jig.

Anyway here she is up and and running.

1751481931_3PBVcloseup.jpg.a62c056b1ac688256b9a289e9a29baee.jpg

The Up Milk (empties) from Birkenhead (I am guessing Hooton?) hauled by 6818 Hardwick Grange entering Granby

595537779_1Upempties.jpg.6c822b3e11a60a2a074d248032c9d90c.jpg

231788676_2Emptiescloseup.jpg.623c9f14dbdab55a1cdb4b46f0a7799f.jpg

The two rear tankers are dropped off in the main head shunt. They will be returned to the dairy at Cynwyd as tail traffic on the branch B set

2012217703_5uncoupled.jpg.33ff075ccb664a77ca955efe57eab83f.jpg

357493126_4BlackandWhite.jpg.c8f6bc95548f9a83e1eb5ecf13b14a6d.jpg

Here is the Grange continuing its journey to Shrewsbury over Granby viaduct

1036278979_6Grange.jpg.e2f26abaf3b663ac210ddcf07c13a246.jpg

I think this is one of Hornby's best ever locos.....super reliable runner and impressive hauling power. Puts the Bachmann Halls to shame. Once I get the Milk sequence going the two Granges I have will have to handle the Down runs because the Halls struggle with 8 tankers and the PBV on the combination of curve and relatively gentle incline  out of Shrewsbury (storage yard)

649489008_7PBVangle.jpg.2c09e0f420213534c4077d763f5ebdf0.jpg

3660682_8FullTrain.jpg.560497278d6740eaa50c893a03948ade.jpg

Its hard to believe that its over six months that I posted this shot worrying about the lack of an appropriate Brake Van

1299239025_9april4BW.jpg.f1e3c36e7246ea5765b8ec9bda997c2b.jpg

Fortunately Gwrrob of ANTB fame persuaded me to think about a Comet conversion and when I was about to chicken out Mallard (Mr Duck) stepped in and offered to build the coach, leaving me to do the finishing touches. Many many thanks to both of you and all who have encouraged me over the past 6 months......couldnt/wouldnt have done it without you.

278984780_10BW.jpg.e0a9d48523d4cc2305af01c495dc7681.jpg

It is by no means perfect but to my mind it does just about look the part.

Its undoubtedly been time consuming and occasionally more than a little frustrating but on the other hand it has also been quite enjoyable.....even relaxing occasionally.......and now after all that I do have a certain sense of achievement.

I may well be tempted to try another conversion .....I do have lots of donors available.

Regards from Vancouver

John

Edited by john dew
7/11/22 Photos
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Sunday was Thanksgiving Day in Canada. Some may feel it is rather appropriate that the Passenger Brake Van was finally complete

I confess the delay was, in part, caused by me worrying about my inability to add the finishing touches, door handles and grab handles, in a competent manner icon_redface.gif.

To my surprise the door handles, a minute brass etching were relatively easy.....and fortunately there were lots of spares to replace all the ones I screwed up or dropped and lost forever on the floor. 

I had more difficulty with the grab handles which had to be formed from 0.45 mm wire. Rather than getting two crisp 90o bends I tended to get an un-prototypical curved shape. I guess I should have tried to make some sort of jig.

attachicon.gif3 PBV close up.jpg

The Up Milk (empties) from Birkenhead (I am guessing Hooton?) hauled by 6818 Hardwick Grange entering Granby

attachicon.gif1 Up empties.jpg

attachicon.gif2 Empties close up.jpg

434_091837_340000001.jpg

The two rear tankers are dropped off in the main head shunt. They will be returned to the dairy at Cynwyd as tail traffic on the branch B set

434_091837_340000004.jpg

attachicon.gif5 uncoupled.jpg

attachicon.gif4 Black and White.jpg

attachicon.gif6 Grange.jpg

434_091839_100000000.jpg

I think this is one of Hornby's best ever locos.....super reliable runner and impressive hauling power. Puts the Bachmann Halls to shame. Once I get the Milk sequence going the two Granges I have will have to handle the Down runs because the Halls struggle with 8 tankers and the PBV on the combination of curve and relatively gentle incline  out of Shrewsbury (storage yard)

attachicon.gif7 PBV angle.jpg

attachicon.gif8 Full Train.jpg

Its hard to believe that its over six months that I posted this shot worrying about the lack of an appropriate Brake Van

attachicon.gif9 april 4 B&W.jpg

Fortunately Gwrrob of ANTB fame persuaded me to think about a Comet conversion and when I was about to chicken out Mallard (Mr Duck) stepped in and offered to build the coach, leaving me to do the finishing touches. Many many thanks to both of you and all who have encouraged me over the past 6 months......couldnt/wouldnt have done it without you.

attachicon.gif10 B&W.jpg

434_091839_110000004.jpg

Its undoubtedly been time consuming and occasionally more than a little frustrating but on the other hand it has also been quite enjoyable.....even relaxing occasionally.......and now after all that I do have a certain sense of achievement.

I may well be tempted to try another conversion .....I do have lots of donors available.

Regards from Vancouver

John

I am ashamed to say that I should have told you about either the Comet GWR grabs or those from (I think) Frogmore (Dart Castings family) and maybe Roxey Mouldings. There are probably other suppliers that I do not know about (David Geen). Rob will tell you.

Pleased to help by the way and that is a fine job you have done on that van.

Philth

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Phil

Without you I would never have attempted it......now having learned so much I may well have another go

Best wishes

John

J, the great thing about these conversions is that if you are reasonably careful, even if all goes #### up, as long as the sides are not completely knackered then you just start again. OK you maybe sacrifice a donor, but they are probably easy to replace.

Go for it with a few straightforward vans  and get the hang of things. Then go for a decent coach.

ATB

Phil 

• RMweb Gold

I am ashamed to say that I should have told you about either the Comet GWR grabs or those from (I think) Frogmore (Dart Castings family) and maybe Roxey Mouldings. There are probably other suppliers that I do not know about (David Geen). Rob will tell you.

Pleased to help by the way and that is a fine job you have done on that van.

Philth

I use the Frogmore ones all sizes in two different packs.

I confess the delay was, in part, caused by me worrying about my inability to add the finishing touches, door handles and grab handles, in a competent manner icon_redface.gif.

attachicon.gif3 PBV close up.jpg

attachicon.gif1 Up empties.jpg

attachicon.gif2 Empties close up.jpg

434_091837_340000001.jpg

434_091837_340000004.jpg

attachicon.gif5 uncoupled.jpg

attachicon.gif4 Black and White.jpg

attachicon.gif6 Grange.jpg

434_091839_100000000.jpg

attachicon.gif7 PBV angle.jpg

attachicon.gif8 Full Train.jpg

attachicon.gif9 april 4 B&W.jpg

attachicon.gif10 B&W.jpg

434_091839_110000004.jpg

Regards from Vancouver

John

Very effective, and more pictures of the layout are always welcome.

• RMweb Premium

Great work John (and Phil).  I like the K42 in "dull brahn"- particularly fetching.  Yours puts mine to shame. 

The other "k" brakes all fit well on Mainline 57' or Hornby 57' coaches.    Just make sure you buythe one with the mose approbriate roof. to start with and save effort.  I preferred brakes on some because there is one less WC tank to remove/chop fil.

Sequence with the tanks looks great.

• RMweb Gold

Wonderful photos, John. Urban scenes easily end up looking contrived on layouts, but not here, everything has just the right balance - crowded and busy but no unrealistically so. I'm left with the impression of a real town that has grown chaotically but organically over many years.  

That shot of the K40 and tankers on the curving viaduct with the Danby Ales building is my favourite!  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My parents have just returned from a trip to Canada which included a trip on the Rocky Mountaineer.

Unfortunately during the trip there was a derailment that basically ruined the trip as there were long delays, bus transfers and then parts of the trip (when the views would have been spectacular) took place at night.

My parents are still complaining.

The poor PR guy apparently coped a barrage of complaints from all the foreign passengers when as compensation passengers were offered a free trip at the end of the 2018 season!

I just kept saying the joys of train travel.  Needless to say I won't be showing my parents your fantastic photos.

• RMweb Gold

Great work John (and Phil).  I like the K42 in "dull brahn"- particularly fetching.  Yours puts mine to shame. 

The other "k" brakes all fit well on Mainline 57' or Hornby 57' coaches.    Just make sure you buythe one with the mose approbriate roof. to start with and save effort.  I preferred brakes on some because there is one less WC tank to remove/chop fil.

Sequence with the tanks looks great.

Thanks MIB, much appreciated although I suspect you are flattering me......again

To be honest I opted for all Brown to avoid the trauma of separating the cream from the chocolate.......maybe next time when your advice above will be.very useful.

Glad the proposed tank sequence sounded credible........now I have to get it to work properly. Mr Gates sent me an update to correct all the mistakes he made with the anniversary update.........which promptly trashed the drive with all the data......fortunately all backed up.....so all I have to do is pay the computor shop $150 to fit a new drive and I can start running trains again..........I suppose corrupt drive is a more original excuse than leaves on the line!

Best wishes

John

• RMweb Gold

Wonderful photos, John. Urban scenes easily end up looking contrived on layouts, but not here, everything has just the right balance - crowded and busy but no unrealistically so. I'm left with the impression of a real town that has grown chaotically but organically over many years.  

That shot of the K40 and tankers on the curving viaduct with the Danby Ales building is my favourite!  

Thank you so much Mikkel.......you have no idea how encouraging a post like that is ......particularly from a modeller of your renown. (I lurk in awe on your Farthing thread).  

Your suggestion that it has grown chaotically over many years is remarkably accurate! I have been building the layout since 2007 and there are still some prime real estate lots awaiting development......or in some cases re-development.........the long terrace of row of Metcalfe houses, which you may recall concealed the storage yards, has got sadly knocked about over the years.....the wreckers demolition ball looms.

If I was really radical I would replace the back scenes they are rather dated and not very convincing.......its one of the reasons I like Black and white shots!

Thanks again for your comments

Best wishes

John 

• RMweb Gold

My parents have just returned from a trip to Canada which included a trip on the Rocky Mountaineer.

Unfortunately during the trip there was a derailment that basically ruined the trip as there were long delays, bus transfers and then parts of the trip (when the views would have been spectacular) took place at night.

My parents are still complaining.

The poor PR guy apparently coped a barrage of complaints from all the foreign passengers when as compensation passengers were offered a free trip at the end of the 2018 season!

I just kept saying the joys of train travel.  Needless to say I won't be showing my parents your fantastic photos.

Sorry to hear about your parents trip...........a lot of the track we saw from the road seemed to be single and I did wonder about breakdowns.

The other hazard of course is the weather.....we were very fortunate but it absolutely poured down when we crossed over Rogers Pass into BC and again when we returned to Vancouver.....on each occasion, from time to time, the road ran parallel with the railway and a couple of times we drove side by dide with Rock Mountain trains........bearing in mind how much they had paid for the trip they had my sympathy.

Regards from a very sunny Vancouver (but the monsoon is on its way)

John