GRANBY JUNCTION - Shunting Siphons for the Up Parcels with a Manor!

john dew

• RMweb Gold

John

I wish you a Merry Christmas and JF is right regarding filling the space, less is sometimes more.

Thanks Nick.....see my reply above......I was going to suggest I had it tattooed somewhere but realised that, even at my advanced age, it might be mis- interpreted!

Have a great Christmas

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Quite a few of my New Years Resolutions have already taken a bit of a beating..........including regular updates with much improved photos........as I feverishly write this in an attempt to get my first post of the year in before the end of January.

My modelling time in January has been spent on maintenance and trying to fine tune some of my automatic routines (read playing with the trains) and I always find it more difficult to post about this than when I am focussed on a tangible project.  

New Year......change of Company.....change of Colour........not a Pannier in sight.  The Granby-Chester-Birkenhead line is of course jointly operated by GWR and LMS.

3205  3F 0-6-0 passing the GWR goods warehouse n its way from Stafford to Birkenhead Docks

post-465-0-38651800-1422643322_thumb.jpg

I think this is a superb model and its only defect is the absence  of tender pick ups which results in occasional indifferent performance. Some two years after getting the model I finally added the pick ups in January..........you can unfortunately see part of one in this shot.

post-465-0-48133700-1422647856_thumb.jpg

I operate Granby with RR&Co computor control and am slowly building up a series of automatic routines which will eventually be linked together in a time table.

One of the routines involves a suburban commutor service between Granby and Birkenhead (storage). I am definitely looking forward to the newly announced Hornby coaches but right now I have to make do with a set of 3 Bachmann corridor coaches and the a second set of Dapol (ex Airfix) non corridors 

Its quite a complicated routine involving a lot of coupling and uncoupling (Kadees and Magnets) at both terminii.......both of which are hidden.....the Roof at Granby and the Storage foreground at "Birkenhead" . There are four locos involved and its a bit like dealing with our Wheeton Terriers trying to get them all to behave properly.

Here is an Ivatt 2-6-2T backing the corridor stock into the bay carriage siding

post-465-0-10602800-1422643362_thumb.jpg

One of the many reasons why Granby moved from 1947 to 1948....... only 6 were outshopped in LMS livery.......and by a happy chance 2 were sent to Granby!

post-465-0-17177000-1422643481_thumb.jpg

I guess this model is at least 15 years old......super runner.....weighs a ton.....split chassis......total pain to chip with all that valve gear

The other loco involved couldnt be more different.........the Lanky Tank

post-465-0-18770300-1422643495_thumb.jpg

I think the detailing is superb .......I wanted the crew to match the interior and then when I made my mind up Monty's sold out of the pair I wanted.....high on my to do list. You can see the re numbering but it is far less obvious than on the second Ivatt

Both locos bring back childhood memories.......there were a number of Lankies at Southport and I am pretty sure that the Ivatts were used to haul the the three through coaches from Southport to jine the Liverpool -Euston train.........the twice daily passage of a STEAM train used to cause much excitement to those brought up on a diet of Electric trains!  

I will finish with a bit more nostalgia

post-465-0-81770600-1422643518_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

John, a bit of nostalgia for me there too of those through coaches from Southport to Liverpool, Lime Street. It was a most interesing journey and quite fascinating in the final few miles and approach to Liverpool. I always used it on every occasion I could.

This service was restricted to passengers with "through" tickets but my LMR all stations pass enabled me to do so.

Edited by john flann
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Look at that real trains LMS my favorite company.   The layout looks fantastic. 

William

Hi William

Good to hear from you. Glad you liked my choice of subject! I dont pretend to be super knowledgeable about the GWR but at least I have a reasonably sized reference library.......I even have a copy of the 1933 rule book (reprinted 1945) in a feeble attempt to keep on the right side of at least one of my followers :jester:  but I am afraid my knowledge of LMS  practice is very sketchy..........I could do with a copy  the equivalent of the GWR Encyclopedia  (assuming there is one). Allowing for my limited knowledge I do find the marked contrast in Company styles quite fascinating.

Best wishes from a sunny West Coast

Wish I could say the same about being sunny on this side of the country, its a bit dull and yesterday was quite bitter cold.  So cold we stopped work and went to the coffee shop.  -17 in the Morning and windy as heck.  I am busy downstairs working on the layout.  I have an open house on Feb 21.  I dont know how many will turn up. I have been busy fixing up a few odds and bobs.   My Latest project was converting a Hornby Steam Crane to Look like a proper steam crane.  A good couple of evenings with a saw and knife, a couple coats of paint and vola.

post-7118-0-90419600-1422730971.jpg

William

From Snowy, Cold southern Ontario

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

.   My Latest project was converting a Hornby Steam Crane to Look like a proper steam crane.  A good couple of evenings with a saw and knife, a couple coats of paint and vola.

attachicon.gifIMG_2756 (800x800).jpg

I ditched the jib runner and a Stokes Bogie and added in a MACAW with tool bins instead.    I chickened out when it came to detailing the "gear" and just covered the "gear" with a tarp.  Getting rid of the chains is a must - I used thick thread and some pulleys/blocks from a marine modelling ship.

• RMweb Gold

John, a bit of nostalgia for me there too of those through coaches from Southport to Liverpool, Lime Street. It was a most interesing journey and quite fascinating in the final few miles and approach to Liverpool. I always used it on every occasion I could.

This service was restricted to passengers with "through" tickets but my LMR all stations pass enabled me to do so.

Hi John

Sorry for the late reply.....family festivities! Glad I brought back some memories. At school I had a pass from Formby to Waterloo (Lancs!) but I suspect it wouldnt have worked on the London train. After I was married I returned to Formby and used the train a few times......very civilised....10 minute walk to the station and then non stop to Euston......back home by the same route in time for the kids bathtime!  I wonder if it still operates?

Kind Regards

• RMweb Gold

Wish I could say the same about being sunny on this side of the country, its a bit dull and yesterday was quite bitter cold.  So cold we stopped work and went to the coffee shop.  -17 in the Morning and windy as heck.  I am busy downstairs working on the layout.  I have an open house on Feb 21.  I dont know how many will turn up. I have been busy fixing up a few odds and bobs.   My Latest project was converting a Hornby Steam Crane to Look like a proper steam crane.

William

From Snowy, Cold southern Ontario

Nice job with the breakdown crane guys.........something I have always been meaning to attempt.....just keeps edging down the list

Spoke too soon about the weather....cold and wet but I guess cold is a relative term if you are enjoying -17o ..........in the rain forest 6o is considered cold!

Kind Regards

• RMweb Gold

Operating has come to bit of a halt. The Lenz DCC Controller/Throttle stopped working evil.gif. My attempts at repair (replacing the cord) have not been successful, in fact, they may have made things worse! What was a sick or resting parrot is quite possibly now a dead parroticon_redface.gif .

I cant have my diagnosis confirmed because the sole Lenz repair technician in the whole of North America is away on a trip until mid Marcheek.gif. Tony's Trains have been very helpful and understanding but they are out of stock of a replacement until at least Mid February.

I can still run trains, throw points etc through the computor with RR&Co but the controller is useful for day to day movements and I do need it to programme some decoders.  So all in all......a bit tiresome.....and expensive.

Lots of time now, and no excuses, to press on with modelling the strip on the North end of the station

post-465-0-66388900-1423246414_thumb.jpg

The plan was to fill the space between the Parcels Depot with terraced houses and a Pub. I was a bit uncertain how the space would work out ......I am very poor at visualising.........so, before Christmas, I built a trial run of Scalescene Small Terraced Houses

post-465-0-13024300-1423246432_thumb.jpg

I got too far into the build before I realised I hadnt taken any photos. If I am honest I am now rather relieved. I have to confess this building only barely makes a pass grade. On reflection I dont think it does!

I guess its a case of pride comes before a fall ......having built a couple of Warehouses and the big Roof and Station I thought this would be a breeze.

I found the build extraordinarily difficult and in addition to the more obvious flaws there is a nasty 2mm gap at the back where I failed to get the gable ends to mate properly

post-465-0-70157400-1423246451_thumb.jpg

I am not certain exactly what I did wrong but its some consolation that John (Brossard), a fellow Canadian and far better modeller than I, said he had a similar problem at the back.

I always said this would be a warts and all threadsmile.gif 

Before moving on ......note the boarded up windows in the end house above

post-465-0-33833600-1423246477_thumb.jpg

John Wiffen has produced some alternative sheets for the end gable thus providing me with a perfect time stamp for 1947/8 and now I come to think about it.....a rather feeble excuse for the c**p build. smile.gif

post-465-0-70962400-1423246491_thumb.jpg

Doug (Dooferdog/Chubber) did a brilliant cameo of a bomb site with a supported wall which by coincidence re surfaced on YMR quite recently. I remember being very impressed with it at the time and filed it away for future use.

post-465-0-06898300-1423246507_thumb.jpg

As I said its a perfect time stamp for 1948.......the sites were semi cleared.....some piles of brick remained....weeds and even small trees and shrubs appeared. Perfect playground for kids......in fact I used to play cricket on just such a site.

Its astonishing the varied effect a bomb blast can have.....in 1947 we moved into a house that had been repaired by the War Damage Commission.....there were a few similar houses..... others with no apparent damage (I guess they had new windows!) and others totally flattened.....those sites were still empty 10 years later........and all from one land mine!

So here is the site of this months project

post-465-0-63038900-1423246523_thumb.jpg

I have made a bit of a start with the Bomb site......which also provides a convenient viewing lane on to the railway.

After the site, two more terraced houses which I will record and get right this time smile.gif and finally the Scalescene Pub

Regards from Vancouver where we are enjoying (?) yet another "Pineapple Express"  (read Wet.....very wet)

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Its straight off the printer! John Wiffen (Scalescenes) offers an alternative finishes pack for his terraced houses.....1.99 GBP. In addition to that end piece there is a cement rendered end and cement rendered fronts painted in various colours......perfect for a Cornish fishing village or a gentrified terrace in this century. Its a neat way of adding variety to the model.

I am going to add some supports and debris to the wall shortly

Regards 

• RMweb Gold

Ok on with bulding the pub........not quite as dramatic as loco shots but I thought it best to keep all my Granby posts together.

I suspect many members have already built this kit.........but for those who havent...... .

All John Wiffen's kits are ingenious.....this one  is no exception. It is primarily designed to add on to the end panel of a row of his terraced houses. In addition the kit includes a number of alternative shop fronts (Butcher, Laundrette, Chippy etc) which can be substituted for house fronts thus creating a row of shops

Component assembly is standard Scalescenes...........from time to time I have added words of advice........based ......believe me ......on bitter experienceicon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

post-465-0-92304600-1423849635_thumb.jpg

From the left :

Base layer or template glued to thick (2mm) card........sometimes you can take chances with John's recommended thicknesses......dont mess about with Base Layers.......if he says 2mm .......2mm it is

Top Centre

Base Layer with apertures cut out...........change the blades frequently.......lots of shallow cuts rather than attempting one deep slash!

Bottom Centre

Cover Layer before cutting out apertures

Top Right

Cover Layer glued to Base Layer

post-465-0-18720400-1423849648_thumb.jpg

This is a completed back panel. Aperture overhangs wrapped and glued. Windows  and door fitted.
The window sills are finicky but worth the trouble......a door step gets added after the panel is in place

The camera angle shows the white cut line at the top of each window.......it doesnt show at normal viewing angles so I didnt bother painting it out .

post-465-0-01252500-1423849661_thumb.jpg

Completed Panels for the shop front.........these are basic panels that are used for all the shops

The next shot shows my first variation from the standard design

post-465-0-50400400-1423849674_thumb.jpg

The back panel I showed earlier   (top left) is also designed as side panel to be placed next to the shop front panel with door way.....top right.

I didnt care for the contrast between the un-linteled windows on the back/side panel with the more elegant linteled windows above the shop fronts.........so I did a bit of Kit bashing using a shop front base layer with a combination of top layers from  the shop front and the back/side

post-465-0-25005500-1423849688_thumb.jpg

Here is another shot showing how I mix and matched the top layers to in an effort to link more harmoniously with the adjacent  shop front

The next shot shows how the individual shop fronts are created

post-465-0-61216300-1423849702_thumb.jpg

Top Left             Shop front base layer mounted on to film

Middle                 Sub Layer

Bottom              Shop Front Top Layer .......wrap and glue

The centre shots show these the components assembled together with its associated sub components:

Shop Sign Base*      Window Sill       Plinth

* For some reason, unlike the butchers etc, the Pub Sheet doesnt include a a sign base but I chose to make my own .......I think it looks better

and finally, on the right a completed shop (well pub actually) front panel.

Bottom right is a suggestion of how to handle the clear glass.......my memory of pubs in Liverpool was a sort of frosted glass in the lower half etched with signs like "Walkers Warrington Ale"........"Saloon Bar" etc but maybe net curtains will work?

Will discuss the name of the pub next post icon_lol.gif

• Like 6

Not for me John, but all done and fully described in your own inimitable manner.

And a nice result, as I recall the lower portions of the glass front windows of public houses were part glazed, writes he thinking in particular of Yates Wine Lodge on Lime Street, Liverpool. Where I don't think net curtains would have gone down well at all.

Edited by john flann

• RMweb Gold

Not for me John, but all done and fully described in your own inimitable manner.

And a nice result, as I recall the lower portions of the glass front windows of public houses were part glazed, writes he thinking in particular of Yates Wine Lodge on Lime Street, Liverpool. Where I don't think net curtains would have gone down well at all.

Thanks for the likes guys......I wasnt at all sure this topic would appeal.

Thanks for the reply John.......I am glad I am still bringing back for you shared memories of Liverpool! Net curtains in Yates....you are right I dont think so either.

Frosted glass would be more authentic and I remember vaguely how to do it.....briefly dipping the film into plastic solvent......but its going to be curtains I am afraid as I have just finished fitting them........genuine net by the way......donated by Doreen

Kind Regards from a damp and muggy Vancouver

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

..Thanks for the likes guys.......as I said earlier, I was uncertain whether to post this "how I did it" style update on RMWeb but as it appears to be of some interest here is Stage 2 dealing with the

end and centre walls. These create the core of the building. The kit is designed to be attached to the end wall of a row of Scalescene Terrace Houses.

This isnt the ideal shot to start with but unfortunately, yet again, I forgot to to take the key initial shot!icon_redface.gif......bear with me

post-465-0-65932500-1424715710_thumb.jpg

On the right is a standard Terrace house end wall mounted on 1mm (medium) card

An inner end wall marked out for individual floor wall panels is mounted on 2 mm (heavy card)

A centre wall, similarly marked for individual walls is is made up of 2 x 2 mm card glued back to back

This centre wall is glued at right angles to the endwall. So you finish up with a very substantial T....... a 9mm end wall joined to an 8mm centre icon_rolleyes.gif

It is very important that the centre wall is at exactly 90o, dead centre and that the individual floor markers all line up. To achieve this accurate cutting is essential......you do need to focus to ensure the blade cuts are at 90 o

post-465-0-50203500-1424715718_thumb.jpg

Initially this T structure is quite vulnerable but once the individual wall panels are glued to the end and centre walls and a floor panel added the structure becomes increasingly stable.

When I built the terraced houses which use a similar technique I didnt fully comprehend  the importance of both the floor panels in forming  a rebate into which the front panels will fit

The next shot.....a close up....hopefully shows this

post-465-0-98540100-1424715731_thumb.jpg

It is so easy to miscut these small panels by half a millimetre or so........3 floors the error accumulates quite quickly.

Its very important all the floors and walls are flush otherwise the front panels will not fit properly

This shot shows the end section added.......this section should use components from the terraced house kit. I had to change this because it would have been too deep for my layout so I used another centre wall and cut it, and one set of walls, back by 2mm so it would accept a front panel

post-465-0-14506900-1424715749_thumb.jpg

In the instructions you are supposed to build the core floor and walls before starting on the front panels..........I think it is far better to build the front panels first .........so you can use them for dry fitting as below

post-465-0-85272500-1424715762_thumb.jpg

I kept doing this checking throughout the build and it gave me a far clearer understanding of how the model would finish up

post-465-0-19898200-1424715778_thumb.jpg

The two back panels glued in place

And now the front panels are fitted.

post-465-0-36340200-1424715810_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-25801100-1424715794_thumb.jpg

Fitting the centre doorway panel is very ingenious........see the shot below

post-465-0-73810900-1424715824_thumb.jpg

Lots of dry fitting before I applied any glue!

John Wiffen recommends leaving the fascia until the very last when the building is mounted on the foundation board. This is sound advice because it enables you to conceal any minor gaps by adjusting the fascia position. However I got in a catch 22 situation because I had to custom build the foundation to fit in with the layout and also sort out any interior detail.......I will cover this in the next post. 

Here is a shot with the fascias fitted.......you can see that despite my best efforts the rear wall is a little under 2mm higher than it should be and the floor sags a bit icon_redface.gif.......there is an eaves layer still to apply and it may cover it but I may have to do something more drasticicon_rolleyes.gif

post-465-0-67806200-1424715842_thumb.jpg

I mis-spoke last post when I said fascia cover sheets were not provided......I found them, but by then I had made my own from black core mount board (very handy if you can get off cuts from a picture framer). The centre fascia is trickier and I am still working on it

Real net curtains mounted on Brass Rod! Hint of an interior.....more about that later.....Oh and there wil be a wall between track and pavement.

Not sure about the Pub name.......Great Eastern on a GWR layout!  At least the "Great Eastern" was designed by Brunel so I suppose thats okicon_rolleyes.gif  I think I can get away with the lettering style and colours.......but will pass quickly over "Real Ale" in 1947. Its the one downside of Scalescenes for me........the buildings are fine but the signage is invariably based in the 60s and beyond. Chippies were definitely not called Take away in the 40s and 50s

Next job ......the roof and trim for the walls........thats when all the nasties emerge 

• Like 8

John, I see that Brunel's Great Eastern was launched in 1858 and soon became one of the wonders of the world. By that time too the GWR is likely to have had a presence at Granby, so what would be more natural than to have a public house, known as the "Great Eastern."

Regards,

• RMweb Gold

John, I see that Brunel's Great Eastern was launched in 1858 and soon became one of the wonders of the world. By that time too the GWR is likely to have had a presence at Granby, so what would be more natural than to have a public house, known as the "Great Eastern."

Regards,

Hi John

Thanks for confirming that rather fragile link. As it happens the GWR took over the Granby-Chester Junction Rly in 1858. But I suspect you knew that already

Best Wishes

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The pub will be part of a narrow scenic strip at the front of the layout. Part of this strip covers a lower level storage area which will need to be removed from time to time

Originally I had planned to mount the terraced houses and pub on their individual Scalescene foundations and make them removeable sub units on top of the lift off section.......this didnt work out too well with the terraced houses.....the corners tended to curl.

So I glued a larger street foundation on the lift off section which overlaps on to the baseboard

post-465-0-07133300-1424977662_thumb.jpg

I guess this segues neatly into interiors!icon_lol.gif

John Wiffen is very enthusiastic about interiors and provides all manner of printed accessories .....book shelves , pictures, rugs etc.

I must confess that normally I dont bother but in this instance, bearing in mind the large pub windows, I thought I had better install some detail

So that lone edifice above is John's very cleverly designed bar counter........complete with wash up sink!

To which I added:

post-465-0-20270500-1424977671_thumb.jpg

Benches, tables and a few customers and of course Bronwen the blonde bombshell barmaid

post-465-0-01858700-1424977687_thumb.jpg

I was getting quite carried away with all this.  Most people are familiar with the Airfix/Dapol figures........there are a couple of signal men......one pulling a lever: pulling a pint perhaps......the other figure has an arm outstretched: just like a dart player I thought........and I had cut out the facsimile dartboard and glued it to the wall. The people painting factory was in full swing..........then a reality check......I wondered how much one could actually see once the pub was in positionicon_rolleyes.gif

post-465-0-46975700-1424977699_thumb.jpg

The answer............not a lot icon_cry.gif

Even with flash and a mega zoom:

post-465-0-46371800-1424977711_thumb.jpg

Not sure I want people to look that closely anyway......they might spot that the net curtains are not hung very well icon_redface.gif

So work on the people painting factory stopped abruptly.......if anyone would like to buy a half painted Dapol signalman holding a 4mm scale dart......send me a PM

Moving right along

post-465-0-84397100-1424977729_thumb.jpg

Here is the wall finally separating the pub and Bronwen from the track..........on the left you can see the join of the next lift off section.....the narrow ramp running along side the station. Hopefully I can conceal that with a Belisha Beacon style pedestrian Xing

This is a continuation of the street in front of the pub

post-465-0-10627900-1424977745_thumb.jpg

The street is fairly narrow and will only allow two lanes of traffic.....I may have to make it a one way street........I kind of like the idea of bus stops similar to Skelhorne Street at Liverpool Lime Street.  I need a fair number of people but its surprising how few models there are available in walking or running mode.......bus queues might well work to populate this long stretch.........I am going to leave a decision on this until I model the square outside the main Station Building.......thats a couple of months away

Finally here is what it might have looked like in 1947.....you just have to imagine the people......and the smoke!

post-465-0-63788300-1424977763_thumb.jpg

Hope you like it

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Not a great week Ireland beat England   :stinker:  and sad to report still no trains running on Granby.......the Repair guy is still "travelling" and Tony's Trains dont know when Lenz will deliver the the replacement throttle I ordered in January. Time to put plan B into effect. An internet friend in Australia is lending me a replacement........its on its way across the Pacific as I write...................coming across the Atlantic in addition to the throttle (?) is a Hornby Hall and a Bachmann 64xx.........so perhaps the next post but one will feature the new additions to Granby Shed. 

The good news is that the pub is finally completed......this post shows the finishing stages

Covering the raw wall edges with printed cover strips

post-465-0-37790200-1425664861_thumb.jpg

Incidentally thanks for the likes guys :sungum:. It occurs to me the you may like the post because I seem to be quite adept at identifying things one should NOT do and then suggesting bodging remediessmile.gif.

I had a genuine rtfm.gifrtfm.gif  moment when covering the centre wall edge shown below:

post-465-0-12620700-1425664874_thumb.jpg

The exposed sides are not printed eek.gif........hastily re-read the manual and there , right at the beginning,........wrap and glue the cover layer before fitting the inside walls icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

Dew's bodging solution :

post-465-0-48650700-1425664894_thumb.jpg

Insert sliver of Brick paper into fortuitous gap between side panel and wall. Trim down centre wall cover layer (which should have been fitted three weeks ago) and fit

post-465-0-23939400-1425664912_thumb.jpg

Attic floor with wrap round guttering added........one of the key things I have learned from both this build and the terraced houses (which have a similar construction) is that it is absolutely essential that the attic floor fits precisely over the side walls.........any cutting error or variation in board thickness of the internal walls and floors can prevent this.

I kept checking by dry fitting the side panels.....when I got to the second floor I realised I had a problem.......so the second floor bedrooms lost their skirting boards.....2mm trimmed off solved the problem.......no gapsmile.gif  

post-465-0-01245700-1425664933_thumb.jpg

Having fitted the roof supports (I added some additional ones) it was time to start tiling.......a job second only to ballasting in terms of boredom

post-465-0-66497800-1425664947_thumb.jpg

Initially I used to tile with entire sheets but it is undoubtedly better to lay in single strips.......provided you keep them in order to preserve John's weathering effects.

Here is the roof finally done with just the last chimney stack cover layer to be fitted

post-465-0-76595800-1425664985_thumb.jpg

I had a problem with the supplied roof cover strips.....too narrow.....or perhaps my gap was too wide icon_redface.gif So I substituted trimmed down strips left over from one of my warehouse builds

So here is the finished pub in situ

post-465-0-24006200-1425665008_thumb.jpg

Street detail added....Lampost, Pillar Box ,Phone Booth.......pedestrians to follow.

post-465-0-63066400-1425665045_thumb.jpg

I even managed to get a loco into the shot........a Pannier naturally!

post-465-0-65192700-1425665068_thumb.jpg

Hanging Pub Sign plus I replaced the first floor entrance window with a similar sign........its shown like that in the two storey kit but not, for some reason, in the three storey kit.......I think it looks better this way.

Two home made street signs .....I always try and suggest there is life beyond the base board ......so here the idea is that Chapel street ,the main road, chicanes away off the baseboard while the narrow street (Penny Lane!) of railway cottages leads on to the Parcels Depot

post-465-0-18038200-1425665085_thumb.jpg

Side view showing poster on large blank side wall that can be seen by all the trains entering and leaving Granby. "Sam the Ram" best bitter...........the market leader in Granby 

Thats it......all done

post-465-0-82432500-1425665112_thumb.jpg

While I wait for the controller I will get a few people painted and finish off the Bomb Site..........hopefully Wales will beat Ireland (never ever thought I would be cheering Wales on!) and England will hammer the Scots

• Like 8

John, not quite the Chapel  Street nor Penny Lane of memory, but a nice nudge toward it.

You and Scalescenes get along very well together. That flashing to the chimneys is some of the best I've seen, along with the rest. I'll happily adjourn  with you to the Great Eastern on some suitable occasion, that is after an interesting hour or so on the platform at Granby watching what's going on.

Regards,

• RMweb Gold

Thanks John.......I am so glad you like my continued allusions to Merseyside........I was actually thinking of Southport with "Chapel Street."    Should we ever have a pint together, which would be splendid, I think we will try and find a niver pub than the Great Eastern!

I cannot tell a lie about the flashing........its straight from the printer courtesy of John Wiffen!

Best Wishes

John, Chapel Street, Southport and the L&Y station was what i had in mind. Yes, a nearer pub would be more convenient.

Whoever was responsible for the flashing did a good job. It's not something you see on every model but is a so essential part of a chimney.

Regards

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well Wales certainly beat Ireland.......less certain that England hammered the Scots........I guess I have to hope that Scotland beat Ireland on Saturday but somehow I doubt it. I fear England will be regretting all those opportunities squandered. 

The pub section is now completed.

Added a few customers:

post-465-0-32168300-1426609542_thumb.jpg

You will probably recognise these as all coming from the Airfix/Dapol stable

Not sure about anyone else but I find that the figures produced by the different manufacturers are markedly different in style and proportion. I tend to group them by manufacturer so the differences are not too obvious.

In addition to the pub I built another terraced house block on the other side of the bomb site

.post-465-0-52499700-1426609557_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-44922100-1426609571_thumb.jpg

This time, happily, there is no gap. .....the top most floor has a protruding gutter and has to sit exactly on top of the front wall which is 74mm high. The side walls are made up of two 35mm internal walls between which are sandwiched two floors made of 2mm card.....ie a total of 74mm.......but there is no allowance for the 4 layers of paper cover layer or tolerance for errorsicon_rolleyes.gif  The lesson is to depart from the sequence in the instructions and have the front panels cut out before assembling the internal walls........I had to trim 2mm off the top bedroom walls to get a no gap fit.

The War Damage Commission contractors have just repaired the end wall hence the rendered finish

Here is the remaining bomb damaged house with the end wall supports (I got the idea for this from one of Chubber's threads)

post-465-0-70377200-1426609593_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-06764300-1426609631_thumb.jpg

More figures added.....this time from Langley Models

post-465-0-89812100-1426609615_thumb.jpg

The Northern Housewife's unrelenting, never ending battle with grime:

post-465-0-45616700-1426609648_thumb.jpg

One assumes the Davies family knows the shunting schedule before hanging out the washing

post-465-0-48911700-1426609672_thumb.jpg

This shot is something of a duplicate but I wanted to draw special attention to the gap in the fence.

post-465-0-90946200-1426609689_thumb.jpg

It was by just such gap that, over 60 years ago, I and my pals used to get into Edgehill Shed. Fortunately, in our case, there was never a railwayman standing on the other side!

So thats it......job done icon_lol.gif

Here is the complete row......Parcels Depot (with stable!) Terraced Houses, Bomb Site and Pub

post-465-0-87668400-1426609718_thumb.jpg

Before and Afters are always good for morale

Here is an early photo showing the storage sidings that are now covered over with the lift off scenic sections

post-465-0-74220600-1426609788.jpg

post-465-0-39483400-1426609773_thumb.jpg

So whats next?

Here is a continuation of the lift off.

post-465-0-11407000-1426609734_thumb.jpg

and the reverse angle:

post-465-0-04180300-1426609754_thumb.jpg

A narrow street runs parallel to the platforms leading to the main station building............ in front of which is a temporary loco parking lot......there is usually a coffee mug or wine glass there as well.

The station building needs to be completed with annexes on either side and the final roof module added. The loco park has to be converted into a bustling station square.........and I have to find another place to put my coffee mug.

In addition to the above I plan to run a few trains......courtesy of a controller from Australia thumbsup1.gif

• Like 6