GRANBY JUNCTION - Shunting Siphons for the Up Parcels with a Manor!

john dew

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic buildings John.  And tons of atmosphere as well.

Thank you.

Thanks for all the likes guys.......and thank you M.I.B., in particular, for responding . I am not sure that it resembles North Wales particularly closely but I do hope it captures, to some degree, the black smoky atmosphere that was so typical of northern industrial towns in the 40s and 50s

PS I am really enjoying your "non layout" thread North Cranford. You have a super collection of rolling stock.

Kind Regards from Vancouver

Edited by john dew

• RMweb Gold

i love the fact this thread keeps me up to date on the 6 nations in the USA as well as railways.

staff_muttley.gifstaff_muttley.gif      Well I have to talk to someone about it............as you must know Rugby is not exactly the most popular sport in North America although it has a surprisingly high participation level

After the Wales game I posted on Football Focus .........but I was met with a stony silence staff_muttley.gif   They appear to be only interested in soccer!  Maybe with the World Cup coming up I should start a Rugby Roundup on wheeltappers?

Regards from Vancouver

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

PS I am really enjoying your "non layout" thread North Cranford. You have a super collection of rolling stock.

Thanks John.

Working on a location to put it in and then we will get the "baseboard" photos.........

Have found somewhere with a double garage with an en suite "office" above ( same floor size).  Fingers crossed.....

• RMweb Gold

After all the building it was nice to start operating again.

A couple of relatively recent acquisitions  Hornby Castle  "Wellington"   and the earlier Bachmann Hall "Colston Hall" moving on to the Turntable at Granby Shed.

First an uncropped overall shot.......sorry about the background

post-465-0-89857200-1427478806_thumb.jpg

Colston Hall is about to enter the TT,  Wellington waits on the water crane loop and in the distance Brockton Grange is on the Coaling line head shunt.

For those interested this whole sequence is automated from the moment a returning loco enters the Booking in block to the moment it comes to rest in its allotted place in the shed. Determining which road the TT would move to and which way the loco was facing could best be described as an interesting project.......I keep meaning to do a video

post-465-0-66380300-1427478836_thumb.jpg

The difference between Bachmann and Hornby's different interpretation of GWR green is quite marked!

I know the Hall shouldnt have that head lamp code but I am afraid the locos are assigned a particular roster and then stuck with it

Here are a couple of black and whites.....more realistic perhaps

post-465-0-05729700-1427478869_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-50814400-1427478900_thumb.jpg

Last Saturday was pretty exciting...... 3 hours non stop roller coaster rugby. The championship resting on the last lineout in the last minute of the last match.........even the dogs got excited.

Next post .....change of pace.  The 64xx is getting crewed (painted), coaled and hooked up to the Granby-Ruabon Autotrain

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The difference between Bachmann and Hornby's different interpretation of GWR green is quite marked!

I did 20+ years in the Army and despite everything being painted the same colour of green for the first 18 years of my work, no two trucks or tanks ever had the same shade unless a refurb program had taken place - it faded on some and not on others.  Some were painted more frequently than others.  

By the time you put even a thin wash of dirt on models to take away that "plasticcy-ness" the differences in colour add to the realism rather than detract.

• RMweb Gold

I am sure you are right MIB.......funnily enough., now I think about it, I recall the colour difference from my Army service but that was in the dim and distant past.  Eventually I will pick up the courage to weather my locos......mind you I have been procrastinating for so long some locos are now naturally weathered.

Thank you for the likes Gentlemen........as promised more locos.....this time my latest acquisition the 64xx

post-465-0-17473700-1428507515_thumb.jpg

Remembered just in time I only needed to add a Fireman and no Head Code Lamp. She will be permanently assigned to the Granby -Ruabon Autotrain

post-465-0-72359500-1428507581_thumb.jpg

A couple of shots in comparison with a 57xx

post-465-0-21828100-1428507612_thumb.jpg

I should invest in more etched number plates. They do make a difference

post-465-0-59032400-1428507596_thumb.jpg

I had intended to post a few shots of the journey (fictional) to Ruabon but forgot to resize them so for now I can only show the leading autocoach being pushed out of Platform 3 at Granby

post-465-0-74453900-1428507634_thumb.jpg

More later but first the dogs are demanding their walk.

Edited by john dew
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Back from the walk......dont know about the UK but its an absolutely stunning day here......warm and sunny but with a pleasant crispness in the mountain air.....great

Thanks for the likes guys........that was quick.

So here is the 64xx (suitably resized) passing the Down advanced starter.......   pushing and pulling the autocoaches on its regular journey to and from Ruabon.

At one time it was Ellesmere but when Coach moved his Delph layout there I thought a change of location would avoid comparisons!

post-465-0-21300100-1428513274_thumb.jpg

I like Black and White shots because I think it suits the atmosphere I am trying to re create........but it also has the added advantage of toning down the artificial back scenes. When I started this layout in 2007 I didnt know about the availability of photographic back scenes.......sorely tempted to rip these out and start afresh but I rather doubt that it will happen now

post-465-0-03422700-1428513292_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-29688800-1428513309_thumb.jpg

Passing Granby #3 box on the Down Main before entering a time and distance envelope and arriving at Ruabon

post-465-0-58871400-1428513333_thumb.jpg

Ruabon......more accurately known as a 29" block on Storage siding U4.......just in front of an Iron Ore train from Bidston Docks Birkenhead

post-465-0-85521400-1428513353_thumb.jpg

The storage sidings are normally concealed behind rows of Metcalfe sidings and occupy virtually all one side of the Railway Room.

post-465-0-74785800-1428513393_thumb.jpg

I guess this is a clumsy segue into next weeks post but meantime reverting to the 64xx .........like almost all purchasers I am very happy indeed with the model. I operate DCC and RR&Co.....I had to fiddle with Cv 2 and the threshold speed rather more than I normally do with a 57xx but once done she operates very smoothly and is ultra reliable. The train used to be run with a Hornby 14xx, with pickups on one of the coaches which also contained a Lenz Gold chip and enormous capacitor. I have dismantled the pickups and the 64xx is loose coupled and runs beautifully off the 6 pin Lenz Mini. The shuttle runs to a timetable and the 26" train stops perfectly in the 29" block without ever endangering the 8F.......and all this out of sight.......I am a happy camper. 

This weeks project.....boring electical stuff re assigning block lengths in the storage sidings.......which first have to be emptiedi

Edited by john dew
  • Like 10

I really like the variety and crowdedness of your sidings John, particular the lurking NPCCS rake. Very reminiscent of the environs of Birmingham Snow Hill station that I've seen in pictures of the period. 

Also do I glimpse a renamed Hornby 5075 'Wellington' Castle Class? If so what name did you plump for?

And yes we've had another glorious day of weather here - three days of it and counting!

Cheers, 

CoY

• RMweb Gold

Hi John, lovely scenes, what an advert for the GWR. I agree about etched plates, they always seem to make much more difference than one would expect.

You mentioned "this week's project". Do you set yourself a goal of having one project every week? Maybe an approach worth trying for some of us.

• RMweb Gold

Nice work John.Was it easy to add the crew to your 64xx as I need to do mine.

Thanks Rob. It's easier than a 57xx because of the level floor. It still took a few attempts with tweezers round poor Dai's neck. I actually used a Monty's LHD driver.......that way I could put a spot of glue on his left hand. I think a guy with a shovel would be tricky.

Cheers

John

• RMweb Gold

I really like the variety and crowdedness of your sidings John, particular the lurking NPCCS rake. Very reminiscent of the environs of Birmingham Snow Hill station that I've seen in pictures of the period. 

Also do I glimpse a renamed Hornby 5075 'Wellington' Castle Class? If so what name did you plump for?

And yes we've had another glorious day of weather here - three days of it and counting!

Cheers, 

CoY

Hi CoY

The sidings aren't supposed to be scenic! In truth they are a bit too tight. Adjustments to one rake can have unexpected knock on effects on others.

You do have sharp eyes.......I was very happy with the Wellington and was able to pre order a second at the original price. It's renamed "Broughton Castle"........Rob very kindly sorted that for me......right tender,shedded at Chester and it has some local Connections for me....perfect. The only downside is the name plates are just a tad undersize........I keep meaning to post a photo......should I have removed the original plates? I will take a photo later

• RMweb Gold

Hi John, lovely scenes, what an advert for the GWR. I agree about etched plates, they always seem to make much more difference than one would expect.

You mentioned "this week's project". Do you set yourself a goal of having one project every week? Maybe an approach worth trying for some of us.

Thanks Mikkel that's very kind of you . I suspect I should add plates now as standard.......so that's coal,crew,lights,irons,plates and of course the chip......I don't think I should add that lot to the cost of the loco though....book it under miscellaneous instead

Like many of us I tend to skip around like a butterfly but amongst all the little jobs I try and have one major project on the go. I have been putting off doing the sidings for far too long

Cheers

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have been running a lot of trains on Granby since April but, for whatever reason, I seem to have difficulty writing about it. As many of you know, I run Granby with RR&Co computor control. Over the years I have developed a whole series of routines but have still to link them all together in a timetable.

I have attached a video showing one of the extended routines.It is a 5 minute sequence which hopefully demonstrates how a single operator can have a number of locos operating more or less at the same time.

I have tried to polish the video.....it was shot with an Ipad and edited with Imovie which I have never used before .....and I am afraid that it showsicon_redface.gif

It features a B Set train hauled by an assortment of Panniers. The train shuttles between two terminii.....Granby and "Chester" (Storage). At each station the incoming loco uncouples and a relief loco couples and hauls the train back whence it came. Immediately the outgoing train has cleared the road, then the released loco exits to a spur ready for the next trip.

From time to time an Autotrain departs when the B Set arrives. In the background, two goods trains do a gentle roundy roundy. There are 6 locos involved......and always at least 3 running.

I have edited out some delays....otherwise the loco movements all come from a single shoot.

I dont do sound......but there are some rather obvious sound effectsicon_eek.gif. One of the Panniers is particularly growly and the Dukedog on one of the goods trains has a quite distinctive sound. However, the pre-dominant sound  comes from Peco solenoid point motors slamming accross...... or attempting to slam whenever a route is set. Its one of the few irritating features of RR&Co and yet another reason to use stall motors like Tortoise or Cobalt. I guess I could have muted them. They were left in deliberately to give a sense of all the activity taking place.

The sequence was started by a mouse click. Thereafter I held the camera (Ipad) and RR&Co did the rest......look out for some of the loco speed changes.....some are quite subtle......said he modestly

Finally.....to improve sight lines the Overall Roof and Terraced Houses (that shield the storage yards) were removed. The producers would like to make it clear that, despite the row of dead chimney pots, no scenery was harmed in the making of this movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8yGlLt_qxE

Edited by john dew
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rob........that is very kind of you.

Having seen it I guess you can better appreciate my question on ANTB about kadee centering on Small prairies. I used to have one doing a regular turn between Granby and Chester but in the end it's remote coupling became too unreliable. Shame because they are such lovely models

Kind Regards

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Its been a while since I updated made any modelling progress.................there has been lots of operating though and at least the video was evidence of that icon_surprised.gif

When I finished the pub scene in March (that long ago?) I finished with this shot of the street running up to the station building

post-465-0-80403700-1433946986_thumb.jpg

I always felt that, in comparison to the roof, the station building lacked mass and needed wings on either side to give balance and realism.

Last September I started kit bashing the Scalescene unit to provide a matching extension unit without the tower.

I got as far as this

post-465-0-52141000-1433947266_thumb.jpg

Looked fine on the kitchen top but when I took it down to the railway room it looked a bit overpowering and, even worse, blocked the street off entirely which rather defeated the purpose.
doh.gif  

So I put it on one side to sulkicon_redface.gif and think while I developed the parcels depot and pub scene at the bottom of the street

Last week, rather than waste all the work I decided to try and cut the depth down by 2".............let me tell you....John Wiffen's kits are built to withstand a major earthquake! Fortunately my glueing was, in places, of a somewhat lower standard.icon_redface.gif So some incisions with a scalpel blade and a bit of wrenching got it reduced to its constituent parts.

It was then relatively easy to cut the roof, floor and ends back by 2" .....re-assemble and add all John's delightful finishing detail.

All done except for Chimneys, Signage and some touch up

post-465-0-96666300-1433946675_thumb.jpg

And here it is in situ........the street space in front is very narrow but at least suggests some continuity

post-465-0-62192200-1433946693_thumb.jpg

Granby is a joint GWR/LMS station and I believe such stations used to have separate booking and parcels offices so the plan is to sign this up as the LMS wing

I was originally going to model the side street with a series of bus stops like Skelhorne St alongside Lime St Station in Liverpool (its probably changed now).............hence the tacky green shelter along side........now I am having second thoughts so the hut will go and I will leave finishing the street until all the buildings in Station Square are completed

Here is a view of the Station Square site.......

post-465-0-55252700-1433946728_thumb.jpg

I am quite pleased with the effect of the new wing.........I am going to build a similar wing for the left hand side .........but I am uncertain exactly how to place it. So I will delay building it until the final unit of the roof , which will be fixed to the main building,  has been constructed.

So thats the next job......the 7 components for each of the 4 arches to be cut out of thick and medium card and laminated together.........I guess there are worse things to do under a sunshade with a cooling drink to helpicon_surprised.gif

On the other  hand I could be doing this:

post-465-0-87036200-1433946751_thumb.jpg

Sailing in English Bay with a 12 knot Westerly takes a lot of beating (pun intentional)

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for the likes etc on the previous post .

I have been busy cutting out the components for the 4 Scalescene arches I need to finish the roof........with the aid of the occasional cooling drinksmile.gif

post-465-0-82424400-1434552843_thumb.jpg

The free hand curves are a bit daunting at first but after a while one gets fairly confident........just keep changing the blades

Here are the 7 components needed for one arch

post-465-0-21239900-1434552855_thumb.jpg

4 outer arches mounted on medium 1mm card and 2 inner arches and a keystone mounted on heavy 2mm card

Here is how they fit together......I never cease to marvel at John Wiffens skill in designing these pieces

post-465-0-92721400-1434552864_thumb.jpg

So you finish up with an arch that is 5 mm thick, 200 mm high and with a span of 450 mm and surprisingly robust.

Three down ......one to go..........this one, being the end arch is a bit different.

post-465-0-63248600-1434552878_thumb.jpg

The printed vertical glazing strips were stiffened by mounting on to plasticard before cutting out.

A test run showing one of the new arches where it will be mounted on the back of the station building

post-465-0-30396200-1434552893_thumb.jpg

This next shot illustrates why I have been stalling the completion of the roof   icon_eek.gif

post-465-0-16109400-1434552910_thumb.jpg

All bar one arch of the existing roof are fixed to a full height supporting wall.

The arches of two of the new arches are cut back so they can be fixed to a shorter wall that is cantilevered over the goods relief that runs past Platform 6  icon_eek.gif........this is all free lance stuff........not at all sure John Wiffen would approve icon_rolleyes.gif

post-465-0-81821800-1434552922_thumb.jpg

You can see the markers where the other three arches will go

post-465-0-28189200-1434552944_thumb.jpg

Clearance is very tight...... the goods relief is joined by the carriage sidings exit and behind the shortened support wall is the exit road from the turntable...........I suspect it will not look very prototypical but at this stage it does look as though locos will just (and I mean just) squeak by.

There will be a short break before the next gripping installment.....we will be away in the Southern Gulf Islands next week

Regards from a very hot and sunny Vancouver

Edited by john dew
  • Like 2

Wonderful modelling. The station and canopy is very nice indeed. I hope to make one for my layout one day. Can I ask where you get your card from? I am am not having much luck finding anything here in Ontario. 

Cheers 
Scott 

Edited by thebritfarmer

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Wonderful modelling. The station and canopy is very nice indeed. I hope to make one for my layout one day. Can I ask where you get your card from? I am am not having much luck finding anything here in Ontario. 

Cheers 

Scott 

Thanks Scott..........do forgive me for not replying earlier, thats very remiss of me

In a former life I owned some picture frame shops so I still have some  Matboard off cuts which are a nominal 1mm thick. Most Framers will sell you "knock outs" for a modest sum.

I buy heavy card  as 2mm millboard from an artists supply store.........millboard doesnt have quite the same smooth finish as Matboard but is far easier to cut.

To support Churchill's premise of two nations divided by a common language........Matboard is called Mountboard in the UK and over here Millboard is used for mounting!

If Andy Y reads this my apologies about the punctuation.......old habits die hard.

Regards from Vancouver

John

• RMweb Gold

Thank you all for the comments and likes.

I dont know about everyone else but, for me, during the summer, modelling seems to slip into slooow mode.

Lots of reasons no doubt.....gardening / sailing  / sunbathing / drinking cool libations.....  the list goes on

This July has been super hot (rather like the the UK?)  so I am afraid that I have been even more indolent than usual.

Here is an update on the tortoise* like progress of the station roof.

*There is a joke about cobalt lurking there....but its just too hot.

The right hand wing of the station has been detailed. It was going to be the LMS Ticket office......but on reflection a joint Parcels Office fits in better

post-465-0-84064200-1436634988_thumb.jpg

I have started fiddling around with the base pavement layers

post-465-0-39094200-1436635002_thumb.jpg

The cantilevered support wall has been clad with brick paper..........there are notches for 2 full arches and 2 shortened arches just one arch is roughly in place .

post-465-0-69358100-1436635019_thumb.jpg

The support wall was originally one piece but I realised that it needed to be separated so that the sub assembly could stand square, after allowing for the difference in height caused by the platform height on the station side

As you can see clearance to the carriage sidings remains a little uncertain confused.gif

Ok the moment of truth.......which partially explains the delay.......to ensure everything is absolutely square, the arches have to be attached to the support walls, off site, on a flat surface.

The four arches glued square on to the rear of the station building

post-465-0-20955100-1436635069_thumb.jpg

On the other side.......square on (hopefully!) to the cantilevered support wall

post-465-0-56671200-1436635054_thumb.jpg

An overhead view showing both support walls.

post-465-0-33857200-1436635083_thumb.jpg

The white blobs on the arches?  I was just about to to fix the roof under layer  (in the foreground) when I remembered the cameraicon_redface.gif

Next ....fixing the roof panels

post-465-0-71354000-1436635104_thumb.jpg

Anyone who has persevered with this thread from the beginning (2008   ???) will recall  that I modified the Scalescenes plan to provide better visibility to the station interior.

Initially, I worried that, by eliminating some of the roof layers, I might have weakened the overall structure. Not so.....phase I which is almost 4' long has survived numerous removals from the layout.

I am happy to say that , despite the cantlilevering, Phase II is equally robust.......it is amazingly solid.

Now I just have to wait for the glue to dry and then check the clearances?

• Like 6